It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User
Tinnitus question-lying down make it worse?

Hi, I have an appt looming for the noises which have developed in my head over the last few months. I have no idea if it is tinnitus, related to gum problems which I have or something else, but I have one question. My noise which is like a very loud motor noise, sometimes with alot of white noise and sometimes with some high tones as well, well at first when I go to bed it is the same as in the day but if I wake in the night or when I wake in the morning, it is so much louder and a really intolerable noise. It takes quite a while in the mornings for it to go down again to a normal daytime level. This isn't just quietness, it definately increases by lying down which makes me hope that it is something physically wrong in my inner ear as opposed to tinnitus. Does anyone have any views on this, does tinnitus increase by lying down or does anyone think it could be some inbalance that is made worse by being horizontal. Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

Eve108 HB User
Re: Tinnitus question-lying down make it worse?

Preview
Re: Tinnitus question-lying down make it worse? Yes I have the same problem. My t. is always worse after sleep. I think it might well be a sinus problem. I find my tinnitus moves around my head. Sometimes in both ears, then in one ear. Always in both on waking, then often settling down during the day. I also have an echo in my left ear at times. When the t. is really bad in my left ear, it becomes full and an echo is heard. It is very disturbing. I would like some tests to determine just what is going on in my head. The MIR scan shows nothing is wrong. But can I trust a scan?I had labyrinthitis 7 years ago and the fluid from my sinuses leaked into my middle and inner ear. Although the outer signs of the problem cannot be seen, I wonder what is happening in the inner ear?Can anyone suggest tests that would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Hi Eve. I haven't yet had any consultation re my noises , it will be interesting to see if they do any tests or not. I do hope they do and don't just cast me off by saying it is tinnitus and there is nothing to be done. your problems would seem to come from the sinus fluid leak - did they not suggest that this is the case when you had the MRI scan? I have not had any sinus problems apart from after a cold it seems to hang around in my sinus, and I would be delighted if this could be a possible cause of the noises because at least then it is a physical problem. My worry is that tinnitus is not a physical thing and therefore cannot be treated-therefore surely it is there for ever and I am sure it will send me mad-especially if it interferes with my sleep as it is at the moment.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

Eve108 HB User

Hi Rosie,

I have taken this from the Tinnitus Support Forum.

I would suggest she have a comprehensize ear exam with a good Neurotolgist not an ENT. They will usually use the microscope to look at her ear canal and eardrum and can also run some tests to check her out. One of the tests they run for Hydrops/Meniere's is called an ECOG test. They might also run an ABR test.

I don't know what a ECOG test is nor an ABR. test. I have posted them here because they may be of help. I am sure people with tinnitus are not getting enough tests to determine what is going on inside the inner ear.

I don't know if this will be of help to you.

Is your tinnitus caused by a hearing loss or infection?

Eve

Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

What is Tinnitus?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Hi Eve, thanks that is interesting and certainly something I will bear in mind if I don't get the answers from the ENT appt which I have in 2 days time. To my knowledge I have had no ear infection and nothing in particular brought on the tinnitus, I remember one morning just hearing it when I woke up. I'm sure you are right that not enough tests are done, especially doctors can just dismiss it and say you must learn to live with it. Doctors surely take the easy road sometimes, but it is up to us to ask the questions. It is a distressing complaint and needs to be taken seriously. I do not get dizzy which I believe is associated with Meniere's Disease although apparently my Dad suffered from Meniere's-don't know if it can be passed on?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Further to my last post, just had ENT appt, had a hearing test which showed that I had some hearing loss!! Now I am abit bemused by this-I am 46 and have never had an accident , or incident to cause any hearing loss. Does the tinnitus cause the loss or does the loss cause the tinnitus? Also, when you have the hearing test you have headphones on so obviously you are going to hear your tinnitus over the tiny faint noises but I don't see how that means you have hearing loss as such. If the tinnitus was quiet that day then you would hear more wouldn't you? I'm very confused, have to wait for an MRI scan but I would appreciate some input on this. I think this would need looking at abit more, with more tests, and maybe alternative stuff. Any ideas?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
(male)

Eastpoint HB User

I have Tinnitus as well. My thinking is that Tinnitus is a brain thing not an ear thing.

I have noticed that pressure on the back of the head - ie lying down can change the pitch and sound level of the Tinnitus.

This is good news in a very interesting way. If Tinnitus really is a brain perception issue the brain can be rewired over time to "Tune Out" the offending noise. After 2.5 years of living with Tinnitus most of the time I am able to tune it out.

For the first 6 months the only way for me to sleep was to play the specially recorded digital white noise all night over headphones on my MP3 player. Now I only need the white noise when I am particulary stressed and Tinnitus becomes audible.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-22-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Thank you so much for your reply-I shall certainly check it out. I am finding it more and more disturbing at night and when I wake up and feel that sleep definately has an effect on it-it is totally different in pitch and loudness after lying down. It is reassuring to know that you are finding it less of a problem-I hope that eventually can be the case for me also.

Closed Thread