It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Feel like Bugs in my ear

Hi, For like 2 weeks now my right ear has felt very wierd. I suppose its sorta itchy... but for the most part I feel like I have bugs in my ear. Like something is crawling around in there. It has also throbbed a bit. The right side of my neck is also a bit sore if I lean my head forward. I have ringing in my ears as well.

I went to an Urgent care last week and she said I had an external ear infection and when she looked in my ear she saw a small red bump like I had a zit in there or something. She put me on prescription ear drops and sent me home. Well its been like 5 days and it has gotten a bit better...but its still bothering me.

Also, with both my ears if I stick my finger in there and scratch or whatnot I often get a lot of white flakey stuff that comes off on my fingers. What is that?

Any help is appreciated. Wondering if I should bother going back to the Urgent care or if its something serious and I should see a ear nose and throat doctor.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User
Re: Feel like Bugs in my ear

Sounds like otitis externa. A type of eczema in the ear. I get this as I swim a lot and the chlorine irritates my ears.
Maybe a little vaseline will keep it at bay when your current infection is cleared, this is what i use to coat my ear canals. Meanwhile try to keep them dry as water just makes it worse.
Sometimes it is caused by a sensitivity to shampoo, hair products, perfume, face cream etc. i was advised to plug my ears when swimming or showering.
Best not to scratch as that can cause the inflammation and infection. I know the itching and irritation can be a problem.
Maybe you will have to wait until the drops are finished and then go back if it hasn't cleared.
An ENT Dr is also fine if you prefer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread