It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

lwnd HB User
Can't breathe through my nose when I lie down

I always had trouble breathing trough my nose. When I had my tonsils out my mom was told that they would do something about that as well, but even after I kept breathing mostly trough my mouth . I guess that being so used to breathe trough my mouth prevents me from "remembering " to breathe trough my nose as well.
Often if I try it, it feels like I"m breathing through a bunch of klenex or a pillow.
I was told by the doctor after some tests a few years back that apparently at some point in the past - most probably in my tomboy years - I had my nose kind of broken - but honestly I don't remember that.

In any case it's not too bad when I'm standing up and if I make an effort to remember I can actually breathe trough my nose well enough, but as soon as I lay down it's like my nose gets plugged immediately. Even more strange - to me - it seems that the side that is down - if I"m laying on my side - is the one that gets worse, and if I turn to the other side , that one gets better and the one "down" gets worse.
Nasal sprays do help but they can't be used all the time and I prefer not to make things worse. Sometimes even just a saline solution makes it better, or even plain water, it seems that when my nose is wet it makes it a bit easier, but not totally.
I also rarely blow my nose. If I do nothing usually comes out, it seems to always be dried out inside my nose - and I think that's why the saline solution or the water helps because then it helps that stuff come out.

Although nothing comes out when I blow my nose, it seems to gather in my throat when I'm sleeping but I don't think any of that has much to do with the fact that my nose plugs up when I"m laying down, they seem and feel to separate things.

Is this normal - the part about the nose plugging up when I lie down? Anyone in this board has it or knows about it ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
(male)

Saverain HB User
Re: Can't breathe through my nose when I lie down

Have you tryed drinking a lot of water.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

lwnd HB User

I actually drink a lot of water already. Because I don't like any other drinks - coffee, tea, pop etc. - the only thing I drink is either water or homemade fruit juices. I drink about 2 liters of water per day.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
(male)

Saverain HB User

I'd say lay off the fruit juices and try whole fruits. Try a neti pot. Other wise see a doctor. But it doesn't really seem that serious.

Closed Thread