It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User
Tonsillectomy for a 3 year old.

I am reading all this adult agony posts and now I am scared for my daughter to have it done! She is 3, has large tonsills, snores, has pain when swallowing (nothing major, but she winces a bit when food goes down that is harder...). I don't want her to be completely miserable! Any words of advice? She is just a wee thing...26 lbs and just turned 3. Should I wait til she gets a little older?

Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
(female)

Jess124 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy for a 3 year old.

Children heal much quicker and in less pain then adults so do not worry about your daughter!!! It is well known that adult tonsillectomy is much more difficult/painful recovery then children. My daughter had ear tubes and her adnoids removed at just under three and was healed and playing in two days just like her normal self!!! Just remember many people who post here are people who have had difficulty or they would not be posting on this board!!!
Wishing your daughter a super fast recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
(male)

CHRIS-N-AZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooroolachoo View Post
I am reading all this adult agony posts and now I am scared for my daughter to have it done! She is 3, has large tonsills, snores, has pain when swallowing (nothing major, but she winces a bit when food goes down that is harder...). I don't want her to be completely miserable! Any words of advice? She is just a wee thing...26 lbs and just turned 3. Should I wait til she gets a little older?
I was reading where they think that as we get older the nerves around the tonsils get closer to the tonsils. The nerves in the tonsils mature. That's one explanation for adults having a harder time with recovery. Take your daughter now would be my advice. Once again you should consult with your surgeon.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

NO! Do not wait. She is snoring and most likely has obstructive sleep apnea due to theos tonsils. My son was the same way. I had his adenoids removed and tubes inserted when he was two and his tonsils removed when he was 3.5. The recovery was nothing compared to mine at 32 and my brothers at 16. Look into childhood obstructive sleep apnea. It causes many serious issues. Especially failure to thrive.. i.e. lack of growth and progress.

The adenoids removal was nothing to him.. the waking from the anesthesia was the worst. He woke up screaming. The tonsil recovery took him 10 days and the worse days were around day 5-7. I have posted some of his recovery in the LisaMP's guide stickied above. My son only needed motrin, tylenol, saline nasal spray, and oticaine ear drops. Expect continued snoring due to swelling and medicate around the clock. Wake every couple of hours to have them sip ice water.

SIncerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-07-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

shaktidurga HB User

My son was 5 when he had his tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy. His was for the same reason as your DD's - they were enlarged and causing him severe sleep apnea. He did have some problems with dehydration on day 1 post-op, but other than that he had a speedy recovery with no problems. His sleep apnea and snoring virtually disappeared once he recovered from the surgery, and he has had no such sleep problems since. (He's 9 now, and an honor roll student.)

The other posters on this thread are correct - kids recover very quickly, and the "horror stories" on this thread apply to adults only, not kids. Don't let the horror stories scare you away from having the surgery done for your DD. She will sleep much better, and the snoring will improve dramatically, if her experience is anything like my DS's. I am very glad that DS had his surgery.

Closed Thread