It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

hyperactive609 HB User
tonsil stones/ crypts

I dont know what this would go under so i will just post in something that something that sounds like it would go under.....

i dont know if there is one that has already been posted or not but i was just curious if anyone has gotten tonsil stones or tonsil crypts if so what they do about them??

Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Re: tonsil stones/ crypts

I get tonsil stones sometimes. But right now I'm concerned because where my crypts usually are on my right tonsil, there is an inflamed area there now. So instead of being indented there is swelling. I don't see any stones on that tonsil right now. My other tonsil looks as if it may have a stone sitting there. When I get them, I don't do anything about them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

mjc_basset HB User
Re: tonsil stones/ crypts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive609 View Post
I dont know what this would go under so i will just post in something that something that sounds like it would go under.....

i dont know if there is one that has already been posted or not but i was just curious if anyone has gotten tonsil stones or tonsil crypts if so what they do about them??
Hi there - this is quite common - the stones are actually just food debris & bacteria. If you've got crypts in your tonsils, all this gets stuck in there - because it's broken down it won't actually look anything like the food you've eaten but it'll be in the form of hard whiteish stones. Basically all food we eat breaks down so unless u actually stop eating, you'll carry on getting them!

There are ways to minimize stones:

1) Gargle with anti-bacterial mouthwash - do this regularly and always straight after every meal.

2) Waterpik - some people use waterpiks to flush out the crypt. This doesn't work for me because the water pressure is too strong.

3) Some people swear by grapefruit seed extract - mix a few drops with water and gargle

4) Dr Katz (do a search in ******) has a remedy - I haven't tried it but I see the logic behind it. I think it will only work for people with shallow crypts though.

4) For any stones that have already formed, you can push on the sides of the crypt and you should be able to push them out. This is hard especially in the begining because of the gag reflex but you get used to it after a while.

I just want to add that there really isn't a cure for tonsil stones - if you're unlunky enough to suffer from it, the only real cure is a tonsillectomy. You have to decide how much it's bothering you and how many stones you are getting. If it's just one now and then things like gargling might help but if you've got very deep crypts and you're having to take out a lot of stones then a more permenant solution might be advisable!

I thought I had shallow crypts and would take out a few stones each week. Then for 3 months after my last tonsillitis attack, I had been complaining to anyone that would listen that it feels like there's something stuck in my throat - it was horrid because I could feel it all the time, especially on the left side of my throat. Then one day after beakfast I started poking around in my left tonsil cavity and to my horror there was a huge stone in there - I scooped it out but they kept on coming. I took out 10 that day and another 8 a few days later. Since this time, I have drastically changed my diet and strictly adhered to my gargling regime. I'm having my tonsillectomy in ten days time primarily because of the tonsil stones but also because I have frequent attacks of tonsillitis and I'm always ill. For me, I know if Idon't get my tonsils out, the crypts will just carry on getting bigger and bigger and who knows how much space there is in there for stones - there could be 50 or hundreds of them!!!

Try the gargling etc and see how it goes. If your crypts aren't too deep yet then just keeping them clean by flushing the tonsils out throughout the day might be enough. Anyway, I'm happy to answer questions! Good luck!

Closed Thread