It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

Pergo760 HB User
Lump in throat. Chest/Shoulder Pains.

Exactly one week ago (Saturday) I was drinking Arizona Iced Tea directly out of the bottle and after a swig, I felt like I had a lump in my throat. I figured that maybe I didn't peel off all of the paper seal, and that i accidently swallowed a piece. I tried not to panic, thinking it would pass, but after a few hours I still felt a lump in my throat.

The next day(Sunday), I woke up fine, and generally through the day I felt it occassionally but not too much. The following day (Monday), I got really worried and called in a visit to my physician, but he wasn't in that day, and they said the nurse practictioner isn't able to see me. I went to the ER. The doctor looked down my throat and said she didn't see anything, they gave me an X-ray of my throat and chest, but they both came back with nothing. The doctor said it's probably just inflamed, and she prescribed Magic Mouthwash for the pain.

Tuesday I still had the same pain, and the only thing the Magic Mouthwash did was make my mouth and throat numb for 20min, and ironically made the lump in my throat feel even worse. The lump feeling remained the same, but I started to get sharp pains and tightness in my chest and shoulders.

On Wednesday I met with my physician and told him everything and he refered me to an ENT. Wednesday night the lump in my throat was feeling the same/ a little worse. When I'd talk, I'd randomly feel whatever is in my throat coming up and choking me. I wasn't actually choking, but for a second I'd have to gasp and swallow to be able to breath/talk.

Thursday I visited the ENT first thing in the morning and he did an Endoscopy(he stuck a camera up my nose and down my throat). It was a little uncomfortable. He said he didn't see anything in my throat, but he did notice it was a little inflamed. He put me on a bland diet and said it should heal in the next few days, if not see him again. The rest of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday(today). I feel the same, I've been eating blandly, using the mouthwash, and I still feel completely the same: Lump it throat, Chest pain, Pain in shoulders.

Some additional information is that when cough and swallow, I can feel whatever is in my throat moving. It moves up and down, almost to the point where I could be able to grab it, but it's still too far. When I wake up in the morning, I can't feel it in my throat, it usually takes 1-2 hours before I start to feel it, then it just gets worse as the day goes on. When I eat it seems to relieve the pain. When I cough, i smell the odor of like something rotting in mouth(sorta like when you don't floss for a few days and then you floss out some old piece of food or something and it smells weird).

I know the ENT doctor didn't see anything, but I had the Endoscopy done the 1st thing in the morning, when I wasn't feeling the pain... maybe it wasn't where he was looking then?

Sorry for the long post, I'm very concerned about this and I feel that somehow there might be actually something in my throat. If you know anything or have any suggestions, please let me know!

-Sincerely, John.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
(male)

Kis86 HB User
Re: Lump in throat. Chest/Shoulder Pains.

hello I had felt the same thing for about 1 year and a half now and it still hasn't gone away...I saw a ENT doctor and had a barium swallow done and nothing was wrong with me...The ENT docotr told me it was just a sensation of a lump in throat due to acid reflux? I hope this helps....I sitll wonder if I even have acid reflux cause The medicine they prescribed me for it still hasn't gone away..I still feel the lump today as when I started feeling it 1 year and 1/2 ago

Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

jbilton HB User

Do you still have your tonsils? If so you may have ones that are pitted and you can get food caught in them. If definitely has a foul odor. You may want to take a q-tip and press on your tonsils to see if you can see anything. It usually looks like a piece of a peanut. I've had this over the years and all you can do is get it out with a long q-tip or a water pik.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(male)

Kis86 HB User

so your saying that you think I may have food caught in my tonsils for over a year now? It feels like a lump in my throat when I swallow and it drives me crazy!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Acid reflux and anxiety can cause the sensation of a lump in your throat. Try not to worry about it and it might go away. You've had all the tests and if it were something serious it would have shown. Just try to relax .

Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
(male)

Pergo760 HB User

thanks for the responses!

i've had my tonsils removed when i was 3 years old. i'm 20 now.

the past week the feeling and the pain went away... well, it was still there, but everyday it felt like it was declining and getting better. yesterday, it came back full force. I made another appointment with my ENT, but i'm not really hopeful... it doesn't feel like a piece of paper anymore, it feels like i have a pill "down the wrong pipe", yet i can't get it to come up. i'm not so sure anymore that it's a foreign object, but maybe something with my throat, i really don't know, but I really doubt that it's acid reflux.

Closed Thread