It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

Play_Hard HB User
Stuffy and super dry nose

For the past few years my nose is stuffy, about 90% of the time. Either I can't breathe through both nostrils or I can breathe through just one (the stuffiness level varies as well). Sometimes I can get some air through, but it's stuffed other times it's completely stuffed. Then what is really annoying is at night - since I breathe through my mouth partially I have a bottle of water next to my bed because I get thirsty from breathing through my mouth. Then I have to run to the bathroom super early in the morning because of all the water I drink! It's like a vicious circle! This ruins my sleep and I think this is why I am always tired!

Now, the nostril I can actually breathe through right now is so dry that it hurts. It's kind of gross, but I have dried up blood up in that nostril. It's also bleeding a little bit. I suppose I get this from the dry weather and this has happened before, but it's so unpleasent!

I went to an allergist a couple of years ago for an allergy test and it didn't turn up much (just cats). Which suprised me because cats never botherd me at all! Also, the doctor told me that I had a polyp in my nostril. She said I could get surgery or just use nasal spray. I have not done either.

I go to a general doctor this week and I am going to talk to him about this problem. I was wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this problem??? This is frustrating, especially at night when I have to drink so much water!

The Following User Says Thank You to Play_Hard For This Useful Post:
Sunny77777 (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
(female)

Play_Hard HB User
Re: Stuffy and super dry nose

Can someone please answer? I am frustrated because I can't breathe out of my nose, can barely smell and I don't sleep well because I am breathing through my mouth all night. I get thirsty and have to pee a lot because of it. It's really annoying.

Can a polyp cause all of this? I don't want to take medication because I don't want to have to rely on spraying something up my nostrils all of the time! Then my body will NEED it and I will be worse off.

What should I ask my doctor when I go in? My last doctor didn't really pay attention to the fact that I can barely breathe through my nose, she was spending more time telling me that I was allergic to cats.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey! Few questions.. do you actually have any cats? If not then I guess it's definitely not allergies. Do you drink a lot of milk or eat a lot of dairy? I say that because it can cause an excess amount of mucus to build up. I had constant post nasal drip when I was young and it wasn't until I stopped drinking milk every day (after I became lactose intollerant) that it improved. I still contend with allergies, but it's at least not as bad as it was. What are you taking currently, are you taking a decongestant daily?
When your doctor told you that you had a polyp was this from a CT scan? If not I suggest getting with an ENT and get one.. you may have more than just a polyp that is causing a blockage such as a deviated septum.
For the dryness.. I HIGHLY recommend doing a sinus rinse. I use the NeilMed system which is sold at most pharmacies but there are others out there. It's just salt water so there is no dependence on it and it will help with the dryness. It may help soothe your sinuses and reduce the inflammation. I find I have to do it every few days and then every day when my sinuses are really inflammed.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

Play_Hard HB User

Thanks for replying...

I do have 2 cats, but I know that is not cats it because I had allergy testing 10 years ago and the doctor told me that I was allergic to cats back then. I had cats back then, but didn't have these same problems. I actually went in to see if I had food allergies because my stomach gets upset easily (mostly from milk). Plus, this stuffiness just started a couple of years ago and I have had cats for over 13 years now. Also, my condition does not improve when I travel and am away from my cats.

I very rarely have anything dairy because I must be lactose intolerant (plus I don't really like dairy anyway). The doctor did not give me a CT scan to find the polyp, she just noticed it when she did her exam looking up my nose. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention is that my right side is worst than my left side. I am pretty much stuffed up on my right side all of the time, it gets even worse when I lay down. It's annoying because I can't smell very well!

Last edited by Play_Hard; 10-18-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
(male)

OxygenIsGood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play_Hard View Post
Thanks for replying...

I do have 2 cats, but I know that is not cats it because I had allergy testing 10 years ago and the doctor told me that I was allergic to cats back then. I had cats back then, but didn't have these same problems. I actually went in to see if I had food allergies because my stomach gets upset easily (mostly from milk). Plus, this stuffiness just started a couple of years ago and I have had cats for over 13 years now. Also, my condition does not improve when I travel and am away from my cats.

I very rarely have anything dairy because I must be lactose intolerant (plus I don't really like dairy anyway). The doctor did not give me a CT scan to find the polyp, she just noticed it when she did her exam looking up my nose. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention is that my right side is worst than my left side. I am pretty much stuffed up on my right side all of the time, it gets even worse when I lay down. It's annoying because I can't smell very well!
Even if you nose isn't "crooked" you may have a deviated septum. A CT will show this. Also your polyps may have grown gradually since you've been exposed to cats if in fact you are allergic to them. If your ENT saw them just by looking up nose there are probably more where you can't see. The reason I'm posting this is because I currently had a Nasal Polyp Ectomy AND a Septoplasty(fixed deviated Septum). Today! And my doctor must have done a good job because I'm feeling so good that I had to spread the word. YMMV.

Note: I suffered breathing through my nose for almost as long as I can remember. And I'm in my 30's. When I took the packing out just an hour ago I'm breathing like never before. And no pain! My upper teeth actually hurt the most for a few hours after... It's WAY to early to say this but I've read a lot of reviews and a lot of them are "life changing". I also can not smell and that is a sure sign of polyps blocking your smell sensors. I'm wondering if my smell will come back but honestly I'll be happy just breathing good. I'm knocking on wood left and right and this seems too good to be true. Especially dealing with the breathing issues for so long. I'm going to keep on the Nasonex too just to keep them from coming back. But they might and if they do I'll not hesitate to get them out. I asked my doctor if I could get my polyps in a jar so I could dump them on the ground and stomp on them and take out 30 yrs of my breathing problems. He said no because now they don't rip them out he used a tool similar to what they use for Liposuction. It chops and sucks and the same time. Less bleeding he said. I still would have like just one though.

Go see an ENT or two and get on the road to at least trying to get back to normal breathing. That will most likey start with a Cat Scan. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
(male)

vjayanand HB User

I have similar problems like Stuffy nose & frequent Sinus infections & breathe thru my mouth but no allergies. I do the nasal rinse, but it helps only temporarily. ENT doctor prescribed the Nasonex spray but I stopped using it after a while after reading about the side effects on the internet. Keep me posted if you find any solution. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of nasal polyps - and typically you don't have just one polyp.

If you are allergic to cats and have develped polyps there's likely to be a connection between the two so you should probably consider seeing an allergist - allergy shots may be the only thing that will help long-term.

For the most part steroid nasal sprays are very safe and effective but they are also fairly slow solutions to shrinking nasal polyps - typically doctors will prescribe a short course of oral steroids to shrink the polyps and use the steroid nasal sprays to keep them at bay. Singulair is another medication that can be helpful in avoiding the recurrance of polyps.

In addition to your concern about the nasal sprays someone else mentioned concerns about the side effects of Nasonex but there are lots of people (myself included) who have allegies and swear by steroid nasal sprays (Rhinocort AQ in my case).

Ask about a course of oral steroids - they may make you feel pretty loopy for a few days but you typically only take them for 8-10 days to shrink polyps. After that you'll have to manage the allergies if you don't want the polyps to come back.

Closed Thread