It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
(male)

sur04 HB User
Questions about laser tonsil reduction and coblation tonsillectomy

To begin with a background , I have had problems with my one of my tonsils for close to five years. It is cryptic and sometimes I get tonsil stones in it. Also, it burns and it is quite sore at time where the crypts are at. I initially saw my GP and he suggested to leave the tonsils alone. After my problem persisited, I saw an ENT and was told to leave well enough alone because a tonsillectomy is so painful. Now, after another year of my tonsil bothering me; I saw a different ENT.The second ENT I visited gave me three options: 1. Do nothing 2. Have the tonsils reduced using a laser 3. Have the tonsils completely removed through the coblation method

The question I have is what was the experience of options two or three. While discussing options two or three with my ENT, the following information was given to me

Tonsil reduction using a laser - The procedure is done in the office and the tonsils are numbed and the laser is used to reduce them. I was told that they could be nearly completely reduced and that the risk of bleeding is non-existent. Also, I was told that recovery time is three days including the surgery day and that this would probably cure my problem but there is no guarantee that it will be 100% effective.

Coblation Tonsillectomy - Surgery is done in the hospital under general anesthetic. I was told that there is a risk of bleeding but the tonsil would be removed completelty and that problem without question would be fixed. I was told that recovery time would be ten days but the level of pain I experience could be mild to severe.

So, I would just like to know if anyone has had either of these methods performed and what kind of results they had. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

beckhamhome HB User
Re: Questions about laser tonsil reduction and coblation tonsillectomy

I had the laser vaporization (reduction) in July. My results weren't that great. He was able to get 70 % on the right side and about 50% on the left side. I am still having trouble with tonsil stones in the right side. My cousin on the other hand, had it done in March and has done great. The pain did last about three days from the procedure. I am considering going ahead and having the full procedure, because I don't want to go through this all the time.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Questions about laser tonsil reduction and coblation tonsillectomy

I had regular, run of the mill surgery and I'm not so sure the reduction would've worked for me because my ENT indicated that the infection went very, very deep on the one side. I think he removed a golf ball sized area FULL of than nasty tonsil stuff (stones). I took off two weeks from work. Was painful, but I immediately noticed how much better I felt, could even BREATHE better.

Recovery was a pain, but I kept telling myself that it wasn't heart or brain surgery, and eventually I'd get thru this and feel 100%. In fact wished I'd done it much sooner when I was younger instead of 15-20 years of dealing with those nasty things.

Closed Thread