It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
(male)

Rojay HB User
Thinking of tonsillectomy - please answer my questions if possible!

Hi everyone,

Basically, I'm thinking of whipping them out and am trying to convince myself that it will make a real difference to my life. Just want to know whether anyone had a similar situation to mine below and if things improved after the surgery.

In my teen years, I had many bouts of the usual high-grade tonsillitis - high fever, in bed for five days, huge swollen throat, etc. As the years went by (I am now 26), I eventually realised that drinking was a big factor in bringing this state about, so a year and a half ago I quit drinking. As a result, I haven't had the 'bad' kind of tonsillitis since.

However. I very often have slightly swollen tonsils, get small tonsil stones, bad breath and feel much weaker than I think I should. I think I have this very often, especially when I'm in a relationship - where, I'm guessing, the kissing leads to infection for me. I have suffered with this for years now, thinking it was just my lot in life.

I suppose what I'm asking is: has anyone else had similar problems to me (not TOO extreme, but taxing your immune system all the same) and found that things improved considerably after surgery?

I would really appreciate any answers. This could be the biggest decision of my life and might change everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Thinking of tonsillectomy - please answer my questions if possible!

Let me tell you....it was the best thing I ever did for my overall health. I had strep, tonsillitis, flu, colds, everything that was going around several times a year. My mother refused to have mine removed when I was a child, saying that I would outgrow it. Well, at 25 I still had not outgrown it! The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was when I ended up with a blood blister in front of my eardrum because my head from the neck up was so infected! The doctor had to lance the blister and I've had nothing that hurt that bad before or since (and I have a VERY high pain threshold!). It took 3 months to get me well enough for the surgery. All that sickness as a child thru to young adult caused me to be allergic to so many antibiotics that no doc will prescribe one now unless I'm going to die without it.

Have them out - you'll be very glad you did. And one suggestion, be sure and ask for the deadening gel gargle...it really helps the pain from the surgery better than pain meds. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
(male)

americanidol HB User
Smile Re: Thinking of tonsillectomy - please answer my questions if possible!

I'm 36, only had Mono once, but mine were swollen all the time, had a hard discharge once in a while and bad breath as well. I did it, I healed about 1/3 quicker than most claim. It was a good idea, I don't think it increased my energy by any % but that may be something that helps your situation. I am happy I did it. It's a wierd feeling for a few months - not pain, but just more room and your throat and nose will know it. I was worried about getting sick easier, but that didn't happen and I work in a setting where I meet a lot of people all the time..

Do it, no regrets no ill side effects and maybe when we're 60 it will be a much better idea we took care of now.

Closed Thread