It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

rich55 HB User
Cracking sound in ear, Constant nasal drip: need help identifying problem.

This is a problem Iíve had for a long time and have just accepted it a problem I just have but recently Iíve been wanting to know more about what it is and to see if anyone else has it.

Iím 22 years old now and Iíve have very light ringing in the ears (Tinnitus) since I was about 13. When I was about 16 I found I could create a popping or clicking sound in my ears which, I found through some of my own research, that some people can ďflexĒ the muscles in the back of the throat that allow the Eustachian tube to be opened at will. Around this time I started to have a constant nasal drip all the time. Even today, I still have to keep clearing my throat every few minutes. (I keep having people ask me if Iím ok because Iím always coughing ) Around when I turned 18, I found when I press against the cartilage at the entrance to the ear canal and wrench my jaw in the opposite way, I have a loud crack sound in my ear and I can feel fluid drain in the back of my throat. Also if I continue to wrench my jaw after, I hear a squishy sound in my ear for a few hours after. I donít feel pain or discomfort from it. (As a matter of fact, I do it often as a nerves habit similar to biting fingernails) My theory is that when I do this, I crack a nasal cavity filled with crusted mucus that drains in my throat causing my nasal drip. Thatís my theory but IĎm not sure; any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
(male)

TNT HB User
Re: Cracking sound in ear, Constant nasal drip: need help identifying problem.

Hey Rich, I'm 24 now and I've been diagnosed with Tinnitus since July of this year, although every month it seems to be getting better and better compared to the first month of not being able to sleep at all and at one point, not being able to even hear conversations with normal people in a quiet room. But my question has more to do with the fact that you've done some "research" on people who have been able to flex the back of their throat and open their Eustachian tubes at will. That's what my problem is leaning more towards as of late, not so much the Tinnitus. It seems like everytime I either take a drink or swallow something, I now have a loud cracking sound but I know my tubes are opening because it makes the same sound as when I yawn. The annoying part is when I'm either talking or happen to bend over to do something and my left ear tends to "pop" more often than my right one does, but I was just wondering if you know of anything else on this subject, such as possible muscles involved, ENT advice on this, or possible remedies for popping of your ears that are much louder than usual, when doing normal swallowing activities.

Thanks bud, feel free to message me anytime.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread