It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
(male)

OxygenIsGood HB User
I just had a Total Ethmoid Ectomy/Nasal Polyp removal and Septoplasty.

I hope I said that right. I had Nasal Polyps removed and a deviated Septum fixed at the Hospital... Today! Im so frickin excited I had to spread the word and share my experience. I've been so beaten down by this damn breathing problem I almost feel like I might Jinx myself. I already knocked on wood... You can't do that twice right?

I'm in my 30's and have always had breathing problems/sinus infections/loss of smell/post nasal drip/yada yada multiple times a year since I was a kid. Lately my best breathing days haven't even really been that good. That I knew of. I finally said enough is enough, it has to be better than this. I've tried the Steroid pills/sprays(Nasonex) and other things. They temporarily work. Sometimes. But most of the time I'd revert back. I will say that one time the doctor did stick a needle up my nose and inject Steroids directly into the polyp sacs. That was good/instant results. But not a long-term fix. As they came back. I guess you could keep going in but sometimes the polyps are not within reach of the needle in the office. So I got a Cat Scan and it showed I had major blockage. Doctor ordered the Surgery. This was of course after a few visits trying alternative things like the pills and sprays.

I went in at 7am and wham bam I was home by 11:30. My upper teeth hurt for a few hours and honestly that was about it. I think that was from being intibated and having the cold air on my teeth for an hour. I dunno maybe not but my teeth are kind of sensitive to temp. I took 1 Tylenol 3 when I left the hospital and that's it. I took the packing out at 9pm and man I'm breathing good already. And that's with dried blood and stuff still up there. Man I hope this works and I know it's way too early to tell but it seems it might. I will stay on top of it with some Nasonex to keep the Polyps at bay. My doctor is Dzul at Lakeshore ENT in St. Clair Shores MI. My nose itself is a little sore maybe a 2 or 3 on the 1-10 scale. And I had a little headache. But I read that some people were hurting for a week or a month after. I'm feeling good already. My Doctor said he pulled out a "small coffee cup's worth of polyps". Man I would have like to have those in a jar to strike some serious vengeance. But he used a tool that chops and sucks them up. Safer than Lasers and less bleeding then just yanking them out. So I've heard. Maybe I would have bronzed them... LOL

I scoured the internet before I had my surgery looking for peoples experience with this and I thought I'd contribute mine. I feel for all the people who have trouble breathing through their nose. People who don't have this problem can not comprehend how much it affects your life. I feel sorry for my wife having to deal with all my sniffling and snorting. Day in and day out of dealing with that SUCKS! I'll try and come back to this post and let everyone know how I'm breathing. I'm having a feeling it's going to be good.

Last edited by OxygenIsGood; 11-02-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
(male)

OxygenIsGood HB User
Re: I just had a Total Ethmoid Ectomy/Nasal Polyp removal and Septoplasty.

Day 2...

Dried blood is really annoying. Hard to breath and septum is sore. Overall no REAL pain though. I can't wait til my Septum heals so I can do a proper blowing of my nose and pick all the drid blood out. Sorry for being so gross. Besides the blockage from the dried blood I'm still breathing better than before.

Found out my upper teeth were sore from the Doc breaking my Septum in the lower part where they share nerves. Today no pain though.

Note: I'm not going to post anymore on this A la "diary" or "****" so it doesn't get deleted. I think I was overly excited last night and didn't take into consideration the "healing process". So it seems there is going to be some discomfort for a few days...

Last edited by OxygenIsGood; 11-02-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

huckfinn HB User

Hi

I had this surgery in January. I had 2 large polyps that were inaccessible and thought to possibly be cancerous. The ct scan also showed total blockage of all of my sinuses due to swelling and tissue over growth.

I had the type packing that dissolved. The debridement is fun, lol. I suggest you save a pain pill before your ENT does this....I think that it happened on the 2nd post op visit. They squirt numbing medicine into your sinuses but not enough.

I sat there and acted as though it didn't hurt. This is where the big bloody monkeys are peeled out. The sinuses above my eyes hurt the most. All in all it was not that bad.

Then I started the sinus flushes using the Neilmed kits. This is very important. Boy did I flush out a lot more of the critters. I used double what the kit called for and the doc said that was even better.

I also used 2 puffs of Fluticasone Propionate daily. It is a corticosteroid.

Now, here is the weird part....He said that he went through my left nostril to do "the work". He explained this before but I forgot what he said. Anyway, the opening to my left sinus from my nasal cavity is tiny. I could probably not stick a pencil , eraser first up my nose. It feels like part of the bony structure collapsed....I will probably have to go back to surgery for some "touch up" work, lol.

Still I can breathe much better and it helped my Multiple Chemical Sensitives (MCS) that I have had for years. I guess the tumors had something to do with that. The ct scan also clearly showed a complete fracture between my skull and the upper end of my nose.

I was mugged in a parking lot 3 years ago at nighttime. I heard someone running behind me and turned around just in time to receive a karate style kick to my nose that buried my glasses into my head

Geeze I would have gladly have given him anything I had....

Good luck with your work and keep the post op "stuff" going

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
(male)

OxygenIsGood HB User

OMG sorry to hear about that. That person should die. Yes I have no mercy for those type of people. None whatsoever.

As far as my nose goes. It's still crusty but feeling better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfinn View Post
Hi

I had this surgery in January. I had 2 large polyps that were inaccessible and thought to possibly be cancerous. The ct scan also showed total blockage of all of my sinuses due to swelling and tissue over growth.

I had the type packing that dissolved. The debridement is fun, lol. I suggest you save a pain pill before your ENT does this....I think that it happened on the 2nd post op visit. They squirt numbing medicine into your sinuses but not enough.

I sat there and acted as though it didn't hurt. This is where the big bloody monkeys are peeled out. The sinuses above my eyes hurt the most. All in all it was not that bad.

Then I started the sinus flushes using the Neilmed kits. This is very important. Boy did I flush out a lot more of the critters. I used double what the kit called for and the doc said that was even better.

I also used 2 puffs of Fluticasone Propionate daily. It is a corticosteroid.

Now, here is the weird part....He said that he went through my left nostril to do "the work". He explained this before but I forgot what he said. Anyway, the opening to my left sinus from my nasal cavity is tiny. I could probably not stick a pencil , eraser first up my nose. It feels like part of the bony structure collapsed....I will probably have to go back to surgery for some "touch up" work, lol.

Still I can breathe much better and it helped my Multiple Chemical Sensitives (MCS) that I have had for years. I guess the tumors had something to do with that. The ct scan also clearly showed a complete fracture between my skull and the upper end of my nose.

I was mugged in a parking lot 3 years ago at nighttime. I heard someone running behind me and turned around just in time to receive a karate style kick to my nose that buried my glasses into my head

Geeze I would have gladly have given him anything I had....

Good luck with your work and keep the post op "stuff" going

Last edited by OxygenIsGood; 11-04-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Closed Thread