It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

WandaJean15 HB User
Pounding in the Ears..Not Ringing.

I have been having a problem, well it only causes uncomfort. My ears go boom boom boom ( not ringing)everytime I hear certain sounds, examples are touch tone phones that make the beep noise as you push the buttons, keys jungling, counting change, putting money into a glass or ceramic jar, chains clanking together, typing with my keyboard, scraping a fork, spoon etc on a platem bowl etc.Baby rattles that have little jingly music, sirens,..etc etc. I am affected by these sounds both in real life and off the television , radio etc. I have had this for years but just recently noticed it getting worse and being affected by more( and different) sounds. Is this normal?, I have asked my mom and some friends if this happens to them, and they say it doesn't. It goes on all the time..even as I type this my ears are going boom boom to the typing I am doing.I have been able to find information on ringing inthe ears tinnitus but nothing about pounding in the ears, I would apreciate any help, thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
(male)

TNT HB User
Re: Pounding in the Ears..Not Ringing.

Wish I could relate to your situation a little bit, but I've only been diagnosed with Tinnitus for a few months now but don't have the pounding sensations that you are. I know that there is a key term for this, which I am lacking at the moment, but I know it seems to be quite a common symptom for many people. So hang in there, if you've made it this far with the sounds, I'm sure you can keep it up, hang in there, I'm sure there's relief out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

WandaJean15 HB User

Hmm I can not seem to find anything about pounding inthe ears on the internet and I just called telehealth and they were no help ..they kept asking me if I could hear my heart in my ears, its not the pounding sound of my heart..my ears go boom to different sounds...for example if I jingle my keys..my ears go boom as the keys clink together, as I dial my pus-button phone my ears go boom to each button I press..etc etc. If anyone can help me with the proper search term to use, I would appreciate it.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

this is a spasm in the middle ear from sound, look up stapedial myoclonus, middle ear myoclonus and tensor tympani syndrome.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
(female)

WandaJean15 HB User

My ears continue to boom boom boom to various sounds, always keys jingling, counting out loose change or putting them in a jar, touchtone phones, windchimes,utensils on a plate, bowl-while stirring coffee with a spoon etc, and sometimes when I am typing on my keyboard,sometimes hearing sirens, whether just outside my window or from the tv and sometimes my ears will boom when there are no sounds, as well a few times they have went boom, boom, booom....really...really fast...first time it happened it scared me lol, anyways from what I read here and on the internet, it may be a discomfort but it seems I am in no danger of any hearing loss or any other problems. I have had this for aprx 10 years ..maybe longer.The only time is really bothers me is if a sound causes my ears to boom like crazy...eventually it hurts my ears.
It's very odd because all this time I thought hearing the pounding in my ears to certain sounds was quite normal.

Closed Thread