It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Nasal Polyps

Anyone else have nasal polyps? How do you get rid of them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Nasal Polyps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukleberrie View Post
Anyone else have nasal polyps? How do you get rid of them?
I just had lots of them taken out. I was put under general and they took a scope with a loop and cut them out. It is kinda the same tool they use to remove colon polyps. My Ent said they can come back, especaily since I have Kartagener's syndrome. Are you just having polps removed or other sinus surgery> I had the full work, deviated septum, polyps, max sinus, ethoid sinus, frontal all opened and cleaned out. Then one month later had to have my sphenoid opened and cleaned out.
I must say, the first was really bad as far as recovery. The doc forgot to give me steriods to control the swelling. I had very bad swelling of the face and head which caused really, really bad headaches, soo bad that I could not get out of bed for 5days. He said he forgot and that some people don't even need them. This time I asked for the steriods in the recovery room. So it was much better.
It will take sometime to get over the general anesthia. It has really drained me for like three weeks. And here we go again.
The bright side, I breath better and no more snoring. My DH really loves that.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

I had mine removed 15 yrs ago, did the biopsy and came back as squamous cell carcinoma . My dr. said this was unusual as most people who have this problem are asian or work in paint stalls, nail techs or other high risk occupations or are very heavy smokers. I fit into none of those catagories

Went to 2 ent's and one said surgery and the other said radiation. Went for the surgery. They removed them & deviated my septum as a result. Recovery was the pits! Packing and grotesque stuff basically a rinoplasty with issues. I got ck'd for 5 yrs and after that my ent said its considered a cure.

Have yours been biopsied?

J

Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

OMG! Wow... It can't be cancer. I have been checked for every kind of cancer under the sun (I thought) because of my brother being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer at 36.

I don't have insurance so I am sure they won't do much about these polyps. They just appeared so quickly, that's all. I had a bad cold & major sinus issues for a while in October. Because of other issues, I saw the doctor 2 times in 4 weeks, and didn't have polyps in October, but do now. Crazy. And I am not congested or anything right now. Except I have been having these headaches & constant need to clear my throat. From May to October I had water in my ear I couldn't get out. I took a trip & flew in a plane & I had ear problems for 2 days after, but woke up the 3rd day & felt great. I had the doctor look at my ear, and the water is gone & she said they looked good. That was Friday. Now, I am feeling weird around my ear again.... The headache this morning was the worst. I can't take ibuprofen & the vicodin I am taking wasn't helping at all. The whole left side of my face hurt so badly.

Anyone who may have any ideas or direction for me, it would be greatly appreciated. How long do you try nasal spray? Does nasal spray work? Do these polyps come back?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukleberrie View Post
OMG! Wow... It can't be cancer. I have been checked for every kind of cancer under the sun (I thought) because of my brother being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer at 36.

I don't have insurance so I am sure they won't do much about these polyps. They just appeared so quickly, that's all. I had a bad cold & major sinus issues for a while in October. Because of other issues, I saw the doctor 2 times in 4 weeks, and didn't have polyps in October, but do now. Crazy. And I am not congested or anything right now. Except I have been having these headaches & constant need to clear my throat. From May to October I had water in my ear I couldn't get out. I took a trip & flew in a plane & I had ear problems for 2 days after, but woke up the 3rd day & felt great. I had the doctor look at my ear, and the water is gone & she said they looked good. That was Friday. Now, I am feeling weird around my ear again.... The headache this morning was the worst. I can't take ibuprofen & the vicodin I am taking wasn't helping at all. The whole left side of my face hurt so badly.

Anyone who may have any ideas or direction for me, it would be greatly appreciated. How long do you try nasal spray? Does nasal spray work? Do these polyps come back?

Sounds like the same symptoms I had before my sinus surgeries. Yes, two less then a month apart. My headaches would even wake me up that how bad they were. I also go very dizzy whenever I would look up.
As far as your polyps, they may have been there, but only an ENT may find them. I had mine for years and it was until I saw my ENT that I was told that I have polyps. And yes they can come back. If you get lots of sinus infections, you are more prone to get them, at least that is what my ENT told me.
The nasal sprays will help with the congestions, but will not get rid of the polyps. If the spray is a steriod type, it is not good to be on them for long because they can effect your eyes that is what my eye doctor friend told me.
While they are up the nose to remove the polyps, they can also open your sinus for better draining and this should help. I can now smell and breath a lot better and the headaches have gotten better.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

No headache this morning! Maybe this problem will go away?.....

I don't really have a bad scense of smell.... I actually have a good sense of smell... I have never went to an ENT & the doctor who saw the polyps was the same doctor who didn't see them in October.... And I don't snore, so I am sure they are nothing & will go away....

Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
(female)

cynthia66 HB User

Huckleberrie
Sorry to here that you are having sinus issues. Nasal polyps are not something you want to fool around with. I was diagnosed with having a polyp in the left side of my nose in 2005 after a ct scan and biopsy it was determined that I in fact had a tumor which was cancer. It was huge 4 1/2 cm big . I had to have the left side of my nose removed completly and my left maxillary sinus also. They reconstructed my face. It took over 8 hours and then I had to go to Daner Farber Cancer Institute for a opinion on treatment. I had 6 treatments of Chemo and 30 radiation treatments. Not fun. It was one of the hardest things my family & I had to ever go through. The doctor said I must of had this cancer for a while. Please don't wait too long. Belive me you don't want to go through what I have. This cancer though is very rare. I was told Asian's ,smokers, textile worker's and people in ther 60's get this cancer. I am neither. I was diagnosed at the age of 39 and I'm a hispanic female. So who new. My ENT was very shocked. Please go to an ENT/ plastic surgeon( board certified) Mine was wonderful. If you look at me now you would never know that I had cancer. My face is beautiful. So far my scans have come up clear but my doctor say's that I can't say I'm in remission till I pass 3 years from diagnosis.
Wish you the best!
Oh and if Julyg reads this please write back and tell me how long you have been a survivor of this cancer. I have only been able to contact 5 people in the U.S. with it.

God Bless Cindy

Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hi Cynthia!
I see we belong to a little club! I had my surgery done at least 15 yrs ago, was ck'd monthly then every 3 months then 2x yr. Knock wood been clear!

My septum was partially removed and bone from sinus area grafted in.
I had a very difficult recovery. My dr is adament its a cure.

i know this is very rare.

Note to Huckleberry: Yes i was hoping mine wasnt cancer also, but it was. You need to find out if it is malignant, whether you have health insurance or not. Maybe you can print these posts out to show your Dr and perhaps he can do a biopsy. It cant hurt to ask for a payment plan.

July

Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

You all are scaring me! I started going to the doc because of pain after a severe kidney infection. I have been ill & getting colds & the flu easily since May. The doctor noticed my weight dropping off & since my brother has cancer, she was worried that I had cancer somewhere too. I lost 35 lbs in 4 months, but after a colonoscopy & EGD (they did zillions of tests & found blood in my stool) they determined that I had colitis. I thought the cancer scare was over. I haven't lost any more weight in a few weeks, so I think I am clear. But now, I am nervous again. I am not going to say anything to my husband about the possibility of these polyps being malignant.... It just can't be.

Anyway, she didn't seem too concerned. She just said there are nasal polyps. No referral. Nothing to worry about, I guess. I just am having a hard time with the headaches & the left side of my head around my ear feeling funny. I called her about it again the other day but haven't heard back....

I really can't afford to press this too much. I can't afford another CT scan (I have already had 2 abdominal/pelvic ct scans, IVP, abdominal MRI, X-rays, etc, etc.) The bills are piling up so high, it's crazy. I am sure it will go away....

What kind of symptoms did you both have? I am 33 currently & really surprised by all my health issues over the last few months. I don't smoke or drink & I try to be healthy. I appreciate your feedback & info.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I also was recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts. I wonder if they are related?.... Do either of you have them?

It's crazy that most of my issues have to do with "inflammation" as I read that nasal polyps start with inflammation, too. So is colitis. And the pain in my rib area shows on the MRI as inflammation of the subcutaneous tissues. And almost all of my problems are on the left side. Crazy...

Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

cynthia66 HB User

Huckleberrie,
I suffered from bad allergies all my life but a year prior to diagnoses was when my major symtoms . Noses bleeds I mean severe. Every morning I was waking up with them. I was tired all the time and had headaches & sinus infections. 5 month's prior to diagnoses I came down with C-Diff which is an infection in my intestines. The doctor said only old people and people with compromised immune systems get this. Well I wasn't old (39)and being that I was teaching aerobic classes 2 time a week and pretty healthy the doctor said it was just bad luck. Well Nov. 05 5 months later I was diaognosed with cancer. Stage 2 almost 3 . My tumor was huge. Please believe me when I say I am not trying to scare you but want you to know that this isn't something you fool around with. My ENT said to me there is such a slim chance that you have this cancer. 7 day's after my biopsy he called to say it was cancer. He couldn't believe it either.
I will keep you in my prayers!
Cindy

Old 11-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #12
(female)

cynthia66 HB User

I just wanted to say ovarian cysts are very common. I also suffer from them too!
Just make sure you get your paps on time and if you are in alot of pain tell your GYN they will order an ultra sound.

Cindy

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I haven't had any nosebleeds, so I am sure it's not cancer. Just headaches & my ear feeling funny. I did have the fluid in my ear for months, but that's about it.

I had an ultrasound for my o. cysts that found them originally. Still having pelvic pain (although the doc didn't think they would be causing me that much pain). I am due for another ultrasound to check on them, I think.

I was called by her office this morning & they wanted me to try exederin headache for the morning headaches. So I will give that a try. Hopefully it will go away.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie

I had no symptoms other than feeling a small lump in my nostril. In a routine exam i mentioned it to my dr he immediately referred me to an ent.

When i got to ent he said yep nasal polyps must be ck for cancer, and hey what did your primary say about this lump on your thyroid? I said what lump?

Anyway had both ck'd under general anesthesia and when i came to in operating room got the "good news bad news"

Thyroid was a benign tumor and they removed the ithsmus
of my thyroid, and bad news cancer in nasal polyps, need to see you in my office tomorrow to plan surgery

Old 11-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyg View Post
hukleberrie

I had no symptoms other than feeling a small lump in my nostril. In a routine exam i mentioned it to my dr he immediately referred me to an ent.

When i got to ent he said yep nasal polyps must be ck for cancer, and hey what did your primary say about this lump on your thyroid? I said what lump?

Anyway had both ck'd under general anesthesia and when i came to in operating room got the "good news bad news"

Thyroid was a benign tumor and they removed the ithsmus
of my thyroid, and bad news cancer in nasal polyps, need to see you in my office tomorrow to plan surgery
Are you kidding me? That fast? MUST check for cancer? I didn't see anything online about nasal polyps being cancer until I posted on this board.... I am sure this isn't common & I am sure mine isn't cancer. They have checked me over from head to toe for cancer already. I just want to feel normal again.

Closed Thread