It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
(male)

TNT HB User
Popping/cracking sound going on in my ears...

Hello, I just posted this in the Inner Ear Disorder's forum, but I thought some people here might have some idea as well of what might be going on with me.

I'm looking to find any information on the lines of diagnosing the symptoms of having popping in one or both of my ears (sometimes my left more than my right) that tends to happen either A) when I'm eating, or B) When I start to say certain words that seem to put more pressure in my ears such as "B" words that cause a slight pop in my ear when talking.

The only thing that I can think of these symptoms stemming from were from back in August when I took a bike ride during a hotter day of summer and as I got to the top of one of the hills to take a break, I tried stopping at a drive way and my tires slid on some cinders causing me to take a plunge on the drive way entrance. As I caught myself and slowly stood up, I felt like I was very light headed and was almost about to pass out, during that time I felt something going on in my head/ears where it began to feel "full" for some reason, and later the next day I began having these popping sensations or cracking in my ears ever since, mostly like I said, when I eat, or tend to think about it sometimes opens up my eustachian tubes just by itself.

Does this have anything to do with the Tensor Tympani, since this is what the local ENT said to look into after I would go back to him after I gave my problem "a few months". Or are there other muscles that cause the eustachian tubes to possibly open up at random times during eating, yawning, and the like? I have also had Tinnitus that started in July after going to a night club 2 nights in a row with the loudest music I ever heard, but I don't think these 2 symptoms of ringing and popping in my ears are related, but perhaps they are.

Any help is much appreciated,
thanks so much,
-E

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

SanDee53 HB User
Re: Popping/cracking sound going on in my ears...

It sounds to me like TMJ. TMJ can cause a clicking or popping sound in the jaw which may sound like it is coming from your ear. I would research the symptoms and if they fit yours I would see your dentist.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
(male)

TNT HB User

I'm pretty sure that it's not TMJ, because my symptoms only occur when after swallowing usually. I think it has something to do with the Eustachian tubes because I usually notice the "pop" sound 90% of the time after I swallow. It seems almost as if my right ear eustachian tube opens successfully but the left side is left with like a bubble or air pocket in the tube that seems to open up the Eustachian tube and close it after the act of swallowing has occurred.

So if anyone has anymore information on the possible remedies or solutions to this kind of problem, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

SanDee53 HB User

Read up on Autophony. It states the Eustation tube stays closed and only opens when you swallow.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
(female)

taral66 HB User

I have just started with the cracking, and popping sounds in my left ear. No pain, or dizziness. It is just the cracking and popping sounds. I can make it stop for short periods of time. But, this is maddening! Any suggestions?

Closed Thread