It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

genxsis HB User
Hear pulsing in right ear

I don't know if this is even ear related or not, but I'll ask to see if it sounds familiar to anyone here.

Lately, I've been having this strange sound in my right ear. I can hear my pulse and what sounds like blood flowing through a vein as if it were right up against my eardrum. It sounds like Whoosh, Whoosh, Whoosh! It happens either when I'm laying in bed or when I'm up and it just starts doing it for seemingly no reason and eventually stops. I also noticed while I was in bed and it was happening this morning, I would get dizzy for a few seconds every time I would roll over. I don't know if these 2 things are related or not, but they started happening at the same time, which leads me to think they are.

Something to keep in mind is that I recently had a cold in and had to blow my nose alot. I know the ear, nose and thoat are inter-connected and wonder if maybe I damaged something in the ear by blowing so much.

FYI, I am a male, 36, normal weight and blood pressure.

Do the symptoms I describe sound like something anyone here is familiar with?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

mamaorgullosa HB User
Re: Hear pulsing in right ear

I realize this was posted almost 2 months ago, but I just stumbled upon it.
What you describe is almost exactly what I have experienced for the last 12-15 years. I don't really remember when exactly it started, but I remember being sick (probably strep throat since I got that VERY frequently). My Dr told me that I had fluid in my ear, but didn't seem concerned. Since then I have heard a swooshing type noise in my right ear. It is worse depending on the position of my head, if I'm laying down, doing exercise, etc. About 8 years ago I was very frustrated with it and went to an ENT. He feared I had a tumor and sent me for an MRI which came back negative. He told me since it was obviously related to my pulse it was probably some type of vein defect and mentioned tinnitus. He said there was nothing that could be done about it and that I'd just have to learn to live with it. He even said to turn the music up louder to be able to fall asleep which is insane because the noise is IN my head so no matter how loud the music I still hear it. Anyway, it can be extremely annoying and I keep wondering if I should try harder to find a doctor who will actually give me good answers. I'd love to hear if anyone else has this and has found answers, treatments, anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

might see a heart doctor sometimes this is a sign of heart problems

Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
(male)

genxsis HB User

I'm happy to report that I may have found a solution to our problems. My doctor told me to take decongestant tablets since they are meant to dry up your nose when you have a cold. Since the ear, nose and throat are connected, it dries them up as well and should take care of fluid you may have in your ears. I took them for a couple days and it seems to have worked for me. The decongestant tablets found on the shelf at department stores like Walmart are not the kind anymore that contain pseudoephedrine, which is more effective, but you can still ask for those at the pharmacy counter if the ones on the shelf don't work for you.

Good luck! I hope it works for you as it did for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to genxsis For This Useful Post:
Lotus6 (08-06-2012)
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Just today I saw my ENT about pulse like sounds in my ears, mostly in a left side and flipping/flopping sounds too, especially when I am in a laying position.
He ordered MRI for me explaining that it has nothing to do with Vertigo, cold, adenoids, etc.
This can be caused by seriuous condition related to the blood vessels behind ears (the major one is right behind it) and it can be caused by some "blockage" of that vein by tumor, fistula, etc.
That is why he wants me to have MRI. He sounds very concern about it even though he is not an alarmist usually.

I will let you know what will MRI shows.
Best of luck to all of you!

Closed Thread