It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
(female)

dingding78 HB User
Angry constant feeling of something in throat gagging, coughing

2 weeks ago I started having this horrible cough that would wake me up in the middle of the night. It felt like post nasal drip so I went to my dr. and she prescribed antibotics. I took them and had no relief, in fact the cough got worse. I continued to be awoken by the cough at night and would cough so hard that I would spit up in my mouth and be unable to breathe. My lungs are completely clear mind you. It is now to the point where I have a constant feeling that something is stuck way down in my throat and I am unable to clear it. If I take a deep breath it causes me to gag and cough. If I laugh it causes me to gag and cough.

I called the doctor on Friday to let her know that the antibotics did not help and I felt worse, I described my symptoms to the nurse and she told me I should get x rays to make sure I hadn't aspirated anything and possibly get an ultrasound done on my neck to make sure there wasn't a mass in my throat.

I go to the dr and she says "why would I send you for tests when the results would come back normal. What information would that give me?" I was appalled. She looked in my throat and says "I don't see anything in there". She told me to take zantac and scheduled me for a swallowing study in 2 weeks!

I have an appt with an ENT but not until the 5th of feb. Has anyone had this or know what it could be? It is starting to really worry me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: constant feeling of something in throat gagging, coughing

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), also known as acid reflux can cause virtually every symptom you mention, including postnasal drip, chronic cough, and that sensation that there is something in your throat (because the acid can actually irritate the lining of your esophagus and cause it to become inflammed).

The Zantac may help but you might be better off trying Prilosec OTC (you can get either at any drug store) - it typically does a better job of stopping the production of acid and giving your esophagus a chance to heal. It usually takes a few days for the Prilosec to start having an effect but you can start taking it right away and may notice that your symptoms improve before you see the ENT next week.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
(female)

dingding78 HB User

I was going to take Prilosec but I cannot take PPI's as I am breastfeeding. Is there anything else I can try. I've been taking Zantac 150mg twice a day for 3 days now....no noticable improvement.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

You'll probably have to talk to your doc about that one...my ENT doc told me that PPIs are much more effective than H2 antagonists like Zantac because the PPIs block much more of the stomach acid.

Maybe if you stay on the Zantac and give it more time you'll see the same benefit (there are also a zillion other recommendations for dealing with acid reflux out there, including elevating the head of your bed, not eating for a couple of hours before bedtime, avoiding caffeine, etc. but I don't know how long it takes for all of that stuff to start to work).

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User

Hi,

It is viral. I have had the same exact thing as have my almost grown children. Mine started the end on November and I am just now getting over it. I was seen by my regular doc twice, in the ER and by an ENT. At first I had bronchitis which progressed into what you are describing. The doc in the ER had it also and said he felt as if he needed to rip his mouth open stick his arm down his neck and pull out what is stuck there. The only things that have helped me are a twice a day nasal flush to decrease mucous, green tea with lemon and honey, running a humidifier at night and sitting in a closed bathroom with a hot shower running (for the steam) 15 minutes at least once a day. I hope this helps and I feel for you as I know how miserable you are.

Theresa

Closed Thread