It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

Walty HB User
Sore Throat... White stuff

Sooo.... I am a 20 year old male who had been feeling pretty ill for the past two weeks. I had a high fever, sinus pain, headache, body aches, and jut felt generally not good. I did not have a sore throat or cough however. I saw the doctor and he thought perhaps I had the flu or a sinus infection. He also noticed a small white spot on the tonsil and said it might not be anything but could be strep. So he gave me some antibiotics.

Well eventually I began feeling better, but was grossed out by the whiteness in my throat. It began to maybe be a little noticeable pain was and the whiteness just looked like it got bigger. I thought that it was probably just a tonsil stone and the collected white blood cells from the fight with whatever I had had for the past two weeks.

I went back to the doctor just to have them check things out and she looked at the throat again (at this time I was feelign some mild discomfort but really no pain so I didnt think I had strep). She said that the first thing they look for is whether the white stuff is an abscess? Well she said she didnt think it was that and that it might just be food or white blood cells collected, but that it smelt a little bit like strep. She didnt swab but gave me a stronger antibiotic and told me to gargle with Listerine and hopefully the swelling on the tonsils would go down and the white stuff fall off.

Well I've been on the antibiotic for about 3 days now and now its starting to really hurt. I was picking around at the white stuff trying to 'pop' it out like they say to do and that really didnt work. I tried a water pic and a toothbrush to get the stuff off and I found it to be thick mucous stuff that didnt come off easily. There was usually blood underneath... nothing too much but it bled a bit when a little bit would come off.

So I dont know if that really upset my tonsil or what but it hurts pretty well now and there appears to maybe be more white stuff... Did I just irritate the tonsil? Do I have strep? If so... shouldnt it be feeling better after a few days of antibiotics notgetting worse? Or have a created some kind of an abscess by picking at it??

Im just confused as to why it is hurting more now.... I was picking it at it, but it just feels real crappy. I used to get strep alot as a kid and thats what it feels like, but Ive been on antiobiotics for 3 days now and its feeling worse. It hardly hurt when I first when into the doctor.

Should I go back or finish the antibiotics and then see how I feel? Ive got two days of the meds left I believe.

Is it strep or tonsilitis? Or something worse?

Im pretty worried.... I really dont like surgeries and things like that. I really dont want to have the tonsils taken out or to have them cut open whatever is underneath the white stuff and suck out any infection. Im just really freaked out and dont know what to do.

I cant imagine that its just going to magically get better.... The actual tonsil (I think its the tonsil and not an abscess... the doc didnt think it was an abscess) is swollen, but it doesnt look HUGE or anything... and I havent noticed any big difference in its size.... There just looks to be more white stuff on it.

Also... it looks red and irritated in front of the tonsil and a bit on the top of my uvula (I think thats what it is) also. Is that iritation from the toothbrush and me picking at the white stuff or is that something else? Strep?

Anyways.... any info would be greatly appreciated. Is this something dangerous that I need to be taken care of immediately? I dont want to get sepsis or anything.... Thank you...

Last edited by moderator2; 01-31-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread