It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
(female)

desertgirl5555 HB User
Rotten Smell

As far back as I can remember I have had sinus problems. I had sinus surgery in 1995 and again in 2006. I have been using a homemade remedy using kosher salt and water for the past couple of years. Since last summer I have had a sinus infection that I just cannot get rid of. I have been on so many antibiotics I have lost count. The past few months I have this awful smell in my nose, it is a toss between something moldy or smelly feet. I have not stopped the nose rinse but nothing is working. Help?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Rotten Smell

The odor could be from the infection but another thing that can cause that kind of odor is Atrophic Rhinitis - which happens when the mucus membranes in your nose get damaged and atrophy. It sounds like you've seen some ENTs in the past and it's probably worth another visit to have them do an endoscopic exam or CT to see what's going on in your sinuses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Rotten Smell

You have a classic symptom of a sinus infection. I'd go see an ENT right away. Infections that aren't treated become polyps. The body fights the infection naturally and encases the infection, thereby forming a polyp, and usually a big one....which then blocks air ways, drainage paths, & etc. If you have any yellow or orangeish color, that's also sign of an infection. Given that you have a prior history of problems, something is more than likely going on up there. You may need a long cycle of antibiotics. In some cases, when antibiotics don't work (usually from poor blood flow to the area), surgery is necessary....The surgeon will actually "peel" out the infection. Good tissue around the infection is stripped with the infected area.

Good luck.

Closed Thread