It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

SpeedStick HB User
Causes of nasal blockage?

Hi,

For the past while I've been having problems with sinus blockage, specifically one side of my nose being obstructed, causing problems breathing properly and (I believe) interrupting my sleep. The blockage moves from one side to the other, often depending on which side I am lying on, or if my head is even tilted. When one side becomes completely congested, if I roll over, within several seconds, it clears up and the other side becomes blocked.

It feels, both in terms of the congestion and the fact that it moves back and forth, exactly like some foreign object is stuck in my sinus, although I don't know of any reason for that being the case. I also know that a certain amount of congestion moving from side to side is perfectly normal. However, I recognize this to be much more severe and problematic. I am visiting my doctor tomorrow and will bring up the idea on an x-ray or CT scan to determine if there is a problem.

If anybody has experienced this, or knows what may be causing it, please let me know. Thank you...

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User
Re: Causes of nasal blockage? Thought I was alone!

Hi Speedstick,
This happens to me every night, I really don't think anything of it. I just assumed since I was young that it happens to everyone, and just never see it that much of a problem. There are some occasions that it bothers me where the nasal passage that is open seems to get irritated, from I assumed too much breathing in the one nostril. I have found recently that even though I have been awake and moving all day, my right nostril expels air a lot more easier than my left, so of course I worry that I may have a deviated septum of some kind. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night and try to clear the nasal passage out by snorting hard, and my boyfriend constantly asks me if I'm crying.

But I find this interesting that someone else has the same issue and am curious if you find out any answers, I would love to hear them. Hope all goes well and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
(female)

Essica HB User
Re: Causes of nasal blockage?

I used to have this as a child and I still do sometimes. Not sure what causes it becase my CT scan last year was fine.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User

keep us updated because I too have it and I have a deviated septum

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
(male)

SpeedStick HB User

Hey, saw my GP today about it. He seemed skeptical about it, just saying that it's natural, happens to everyone, etc... wouldn't arrange for a scan of any sort. What convinces me that it's not just "normal" is that I specifically noticed when I started having problems, as opposed to before that when I had no problems at all. I certainly never used to be (almost) always congested on one side or the other before.

Have an appointment with an ENT next week, so maybe he'll have a better idea. Will let you know....

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

This is definitely ENT area. It could be a number of things....Most likely a (1) problem with one of your turbinates (2) a polyp of some type. Polyps are formed from reactions to allergies and infections that aren't treated....The body capsulates the infection and becomes a polyp, or (3) built up mucas and drainage that may need to be addressed.

Your ENT will know exactly what's going on and if he/she has any doubt, they will order a CT scan to see every detail.

Good luck, and please report back.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
(female)

tm6474 HB User
Angry Re: Causes of nasal blockage?

I'm so fed up with no help with sinus congestion! I just got results of CT scan yesterday, saying sinuses look fine. (I haven't been able to breathe well for over a year now!) I do have a deviated septum, but ENT did not recommend surgery. I'm so frustrated! He doesn't think it's allergies. Just says to use nasal rinse and steroid spray. Nasal rinse "sometimes" helps a "little". I even sometimes get anxiety because I can't get full deep breaths through my nose and have to breathe through my mouth. He's a really good ENT, but he makes me feel like I'm imaginming it, as if I have anxiety causing me to feel stuffy - when it's the stuffiness that causes anxiety. Grrr. Was excited to join yoga as New Year's resolution, went once, couldn't stand how stressed it made me trying so hard to do nose breathing when it's stuffed. And they say yoga is relaxing. So here I am frustrated, and stuffed up.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
(female)

zuli HB User

@SpeedStick

if your blood group is A then totally AVOID MILK and milk products.
i had similar probs and got good relief by AVOIDING MILK.
regards

Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I had a deviated septum and had horrible headaches, etc. until I demanded that it be taken care of. Before the surgery, I had trouble breathing, had horrible headaches and the list goes on. I would suggest that you have that septum taken care of and if doesn't care to do it, find someone who will. Good luck.,

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
(female)

leeann123456 HB User

I just got my deviated spectum fixed in august!
AND I TELL YOU, for 3 years i suffered with it because i broke my nose in a freak sledding accident ( laughs ) but it hurt alot! Anyways, my parents were always concerned about me because i got THESE nasty nasty headaches EVERY DAY, and it totally sucked! I couldn't breathe right, and between that a knee problem its prevented me from doing alot of sports and things id normally do with out any ease! And its not until my nose gets clogged again do i realize HOW amazing it feels to have gotten my septoplasty ! if your suffering and you have one find an ent that will HELP YOU! you'll get SO much relief from it!

Closed Thread