It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

ojyllek HB User
My throat right at the bottom of my tongue

For the past few days I have had this sensation in my throat neat the base of my tongue. It feels as if I have something stuck there, kinda like hair or something. Not sure what I can do to take care of it, or if this is something I should have checked out.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
(male)

nhemi2 HB User
Re: My throat right at the bottom of my tongue

the first thing i would do is rule out that there isn't actually something caught there. you can do this by having someone look into your throat with a pen light and a tongue depressor while you are making some noise. once it is determined that there is nothing caught, then you can move onto other possibilities

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

PattiJ HB User

Hi, I too have this EXACT symptom and it's making me nuts! Have ou had any relief? Does it come & go? Mine is better when I'm eating or drinking, but it seems to come back. Sometimes it feels like a hair, but most of the time like bread or a cracker. Good Luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

PattiJ HB User

Hi, I too have this EXACT symptom and it's making me nuts! Have ou had any relief? Does it come & go? Mine is better when I'm eating or drinking, but it seems to come back. Sometimes it feels like a hair, but most of the time like bread or a cracker. Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

MollyMag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiJ View Post
I too have this sensation like a piece of bread is stuck there. I would even describe it like tiny cauliflower florest on each side of my tongue?throat. I can even feel it when I dont swallow and like you say its better when I eat or drink?

It started on New years Eve just gone, I had a sensation in my throat like a popcorn kernel was stuck there. I ended up with a Group C strep throat and have had lots of antibiotics. I still have the sensation and have now been given Nasonex nasal spray as they think it may be my sinuses as I have suffered with them in the past.

Its more annoying than painful. I sometines get a big build up of saliva and when I swallow its like swallowing a marble. Ive had a really bad dry cough for weeks and its worse at night and wakes me up every night. I have a drink and it passes. If these antibiotics dont work I am being referred to and ENT consultant. I worry its something bad as I also have HAD (Health Anxiety Disorder) but I know in my heart thats its not anxiety - definitely not!

Im into my 5th month now of feeling like this and Ipray to get it sorted asap, its driving me round the twist and affects my every day functioning as its all I think about.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User

This may sound odd, did to me, but I went to teh doc and I SWORE that every time I ate there was food sticking in my throat despite drinking copious amounts of water to dislodge it. The doc said if I was drinking that much and something truly was stuck tehre it would be washed away, and chances are food isnt getting stuck everytime I ate, But I was completely sure of it. She explained that often when the feeling is there ( throat) the problem can actually be in the stomach. In my case it was GERD. Gastrointestonal reflux disease. It gave teh sensation of food sticking in the throat but it was the GERD. I got a script for prevacid and no more problem. One pill daily. My point is, I also felt like ( and I was positive that this was occurring) food was stuck there and all along it was a sensation caused by a problem originating in the stomach. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Mine feels like my throat is thick or swollen. It just doesn't feel all the way open when I swallow. Kind of like gunk it back there. The allergist says everything is clear when he looked 2 days ago. He thinks it is viral. Hmmmm... I wonder. Maybe this is acid reflex. I do have that too and only use tums. My doc gave me a prescr. for Xantac, do you think that would help? Is it worth trying??

Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I'm sure that I sound like a broken record on these boards but the symptoms you're describing sound like they're GERD-related (as PittsburghLyn) mentions.

Here are the main symptoms of GERD (from a very reliable source but in my own words per the board posting rules):
-Heartburn (burning feeling in the chest, usually after eating).
-Feeling of food stuck in the throat or chest or sensation of lump in the throat
-Burning or sour tasting fluid at the back of the throat
-Post-nasal drip
-Difficulty swallowing
-Chronic cough, sore throat, or hoarseness
TEdwards83, I wouldn't waste time (or money) on a prescription for Zantac. PrilosecOTC is much more effective, only has to be taken once a day, and you can buy it without a prescription in any drugstore (Zantac is also available without a prescription now but I'd recommend the Prilosec).

The sensation of having something stuck in your throat usually means that the acid has irritated an area on your esophagus - it feels like something is stuck there because the irritated area can be slightly swollen or sensitive when you swallow food. Usually a couple of weeks of treatment with PrilosecOTC (or one of the many other fine prescription Proton Pump Inhibitors like Nexium) will allow that area to heal and the sensation will go away.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User
Smile Re: My throat right at the bottom of my tongue

PattiJ:

Mine was fine once I got the prevacid. I was recently put on protonix ( not sure why the doc changed it), but it also works well for me. I had pretty good luck with Zantac150 when I ran out of the script, until I could get it refilled. Go and get it checked out and keep us posted, ok?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
(female)

scrappingal HB User

I to have the same problem. I have had a barium swallow, and an upper endoscopy done and still they have found nothing...they have me on prilosec but it does nothing. My doctor said maybe it is anxiety? Any thoughts on this?

Closed Thread