It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
(male)

omni586 HB User
The Strep Throat Woes

I'm now on day 3 of the strep throat woes. I went to the doc yesterday morning after working all day Saturday with throat pains and a high fever, he prescribed me Augmentin 875mg, to be taken 1 per day with food. I've been taking Ibuprofen since day 1, but tonight I was getting close to exceeding the recommended daily dosage, so I decided to switch things up and take some Aleve. Well, it's been nearly 3 hours and the Aleve hasn't done a thing for the pain. Is it safe to go ahead and take some more Ibuprofen, even after taking the Aleve only ~3 hours ago?

Also, is Augmentin a good prescription for Strep? I'm not really sure what Augmentin is, but my doc usually gives me Penicillin, although this time he said my Strep was one of the worst cases he had seen, and the Strep culture tested positive almost immediately.

I've been having a problem in the last couple hours or so, in that my uvula and tongue feel like they're swelling up. I've looked at my throat in the mirror, the tonsils don't look as bad as they were, but my uvula looks like there's a human thumb hanging down in the back of my throat. Should I keep gargling salt water? I have been gargling Listerine but the intense pain every time I gargle with it is starting to get worse, and im guessing that's my body telling me to stop using the Listerine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

lynne01 HB User
Re: The Strep Throat Woes

hey there don't know bout the painkiller thing but the augmentin is good stuff- is a drug made of up a antibiotic and other ingridient which is meant to help with killing off the infection for good. Most ENT surgeons want you to have had at least onw course of augmentin before they will operate (in the uk anyway) go for the salt water also
feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
(male)

omni586 HB User

Another day...more pain. This is without a doubt the most painful, and most long lasting (even after treated) case of strep throat I've ever had. But I'm beginning to think that I may have caused the skin in the back of my throat to go raw from all of the chloraseptic spray and listerine I've used over the last 4 days.. is that a possibility for the lasting pain? Or will listerine and chloraseptic not damage the tissue in the throat, even with extremely high usages?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

1 augmentin a day is half the usual dose... and for strep, penicillin v is generaly a better choice (more active against strep, and less active against other bacteria)

you can gargle and spray all you want, none of these things will kill the infection, which is deep in the tissues, not on the surface. Suck on some benzocain lozonges (cepacol), and take tylenol for the pain

Last edited by aussiejono; 03-04-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
(male)

omni586 HB User

Went back to the doc..they still think Augmentin is what I need. Oh and I was incorrect in my first posting, its Augmentin twice a day, which is what I have been taking. There was some serious swelling going on with my throat/dangly thing in the back of my throat so they gave me Prednisone to take the swelling down, and some Levacet samples for pain. I really wish they would just give me a shot like ive always had before, which always seemed to work great. I haven't eaten anything but 6 bowles of Chicken broth since last Saturday, im freakin starvin!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Take the lavacet for pain, and suck on some benzocaine lozonges (cepacol etc)

If you cant eat, drink slimfast or sustagen to give you soem nourishment

Closed Thread