It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
How to stop post-nasal drip

I've been coughing like mad for the last week or so and it was only a couple days ago I developed a lovely post-nasal drip. I just loathe the feeling of something running down my throat like this and I want to ask if anyone knows how to stop it (preferably home remedies). I don't care enough to go to the source of the problem right now (and I can't anyway since I have no doctor here), but I want to know if there's any way I can 'dry up' this dripping?

My current remedy is to take a drink of something, but I can only keep that up for so long. Should I stop taking in fluids? Will that dry up the mucous? I don't even care that snot is running down my throat - I just hate that feeling of something being in my throat and being unable to make it stop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: How to stop post-nasal drip

The tree pollens are out. Are you allergic to these? I would keep the fluids going so that it doesn't get stuck in there. If it were thick it would be worse I would think. If it is the tree pollens, what works really well for me is keeping the windows closed and taking a shower before bed to remove the pollens from my hair. Removing the allergens works better than any med. Giving yourself that overnight break from the pollens does wonders for the symptoms. What might also work is a nasal steroid inhaler like Nasonex. This will keep the fluids out of your nose. Have you tried rinsing out your nose with salt water? How about taking an antihistamine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Try an OTC antihistamine such as benedryl or drixoryal or Chlortrimitron or such. Nasonex is by prescription only so you would need a doctor's visit for that. But any of the OTC ones will take care of the drip...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

As a veteran of several sinus surgeries and many years of ENT appointments, it's very important to note that with allergies and particularly antihistimines, what works for one person may not work for another. There are dozens of different types out there, and sometimes you have to search for the 1 or 2 that work for you. Also, you may require a prescription....But keep searching. Don't give up if the first 1 or 2 you try don't work. It's amazing how one may be the "miracle drug" for one patient, and worthless for the next.

Ex

Closed Thread