It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

meggiemeg86 HB User
Can anyone help me? I feel hopeless.

I'm a 21 year old female who has been having breathing problems for the past three months. It came on very fast and hasn't gone away, or gotten any worse or better. I can't get deep breaths and my normal breathing feels very shallow. It basically feels my air doesn't go down to my lungs. My throat also feels very tight and feels like my airway is closing up. Although these symptoms are constant, it gets much worse at night especially when I lye down and try to go to sleep. I have been having much more mucus that won't come up as well, that also gets worse when I lye down. I also get chest pain sometimes, (not constantly) but mostly when my breathing worsens. My breathing definitely causes me much anxiety, and I'm actually pretty scared I'm going to die sometimes. I've been to the hospital twice in the past 3 months. They didn't see anything on my lungs and my heart was fine. They diagnosed me with anxiety. DUH! I don't know of any human being who would not get scared if they couldn't breathe. They gave me 10, .25 mg tablets of Xanax which helped a little with the anxiety, but obviously not with the breathing. I've seen a cardiologist and my heart is in good condition. The only thing he told me was that I have a high resting heart rate, some irregular heart beats, and a slightly enlarged left ventricle. He said that was nothing to worry about. I've had a lung function test, and they said that looked reltativvely normal, except for the fact that I have a "relatively flat inspiratory loop flow volume curve suggestive of extrathoracic upper airway obstruction". My primary doctor gave me an inhaler, which didn't help at all. She also gave me Ativan to help me sleep at night. I eat very healthy. I work out 4-6 times a week for about 30 minutes, and I go for brisk walks with my dog for about 1.5 miles 1-3 times a week. My breathing also worsens during my workouts and when I'm walking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Can anyone help me? I feel hopeless.

It really sounds like you need to see a pulmonologist for a more thorough respiratory exam - the fact that your cardiologist mentions some kind of airway obstruction and some slight abnormalities in your lung function test are definitely worth following up on.

You don't mention what type of inhaler your primary doctor gave you but the fact that one inhaler didn't help doesn't mean that another wouldn't - there are a pretty wide range of meds that pulmonolgists can use to help treat asthma and other respiratory problems.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

Emkat8 HB User

This sounds like asthma and/or allergies to me. My sister has both asthma and allergies and seems to have symptoms very similar to you. She has a lot more trouble at night when she is lying down and seems to get in a coughing, breathing, sneezing fit at times when her allergies really flare up. She has began to take allergy shots which help her considerably. Also maybe something like Mucinex could help you with some of that congestion and mucous problems. But I really think an allergist could help you out(FYI-the doc who treats my sister is an allergist and he deals with lots of asthma patients too, so I think that an allergist could really add insight to your breathing troubles) I hope things get better for you. Best of luck and God bless!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

winnie101 HB User

My brother had this condition. He had to be rushed to the hospital over 30 times because his throat kept closing by the time he was 17. It was from the acne cream he was using but it could be caused by anything. I'm pretty sure you have to be allergic to whatever it is. You should see a octor right away.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I too would see about getting some allergy testing. Allergies and asthma can be closely linked.

Also, have you had any testing for acid reflux? Some people have the reflux coming up into the throat without any heartburn type symptoms. For more information on this, look on the acid reflux thread and use a search for LPR. There is some good information there.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
(female)

joonflowers HB User

Try cutting out some things like dairy, wheat, anything else you can think of that you might be allergic to.

You don't smoke do you?

Do you drink enough water? I know that dehydration can cause a feeling of breathlessness - so try drinking plenty of water.

Cut out sugar, see if you feel better, or coffee or fizzy drinks.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread