It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

Noturningback HB User
Question Uvula Swelling Post Tonsillectomy

I'm just curious if anyone recalls, post-tonsillectomy, when their uvula swelling went down.

I'm at day 6 post-op and although my uvula has shrunk back a bit, it is still quite swollen.

Dreaming of a straight non-swollen uvula,
~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
(female)

Jam22 HB User
Re: Uvula Swelling Post Tonsillectomy

Hi I hope you are doing ok. I had my tonsils removed on 13Feb08. Some people on these message boards seem to have had a much easier time than I have had. My Dr didn't tell me anything about what to expect. The second day my uvula was so swollen it was resting on my tongue. My husband called the Dr and his assistant said that it was normal and ok as long as I could still breathe. The swelling lasted a couple of weeks. Do not feel bad if you are still feeling awful and in pain even a month or so after the op. I found the second and third week to be the worst for everything. Just take it easy. Rest as much as you can. Drink as much water and other fluids as you can as well. Ensure you have really strong pain killers and ask for Benzydamine (you need a prescription). The Benzydamine is a oral rinse. It numbs the throat; I had to use it before I could eat anything. Be sure to eat as much as you can and rinse with water or salt water afterwards. I found having a humidfier and an ice pack helped a great deal. I also wrote down when I took the pain killers as I could only take them every 4 hours and would not have known in the middle of the night whether or not to take them. Do not over do it. As with everything each persons experience is different. Do not worry about contacting your Dr that is what they are there for.
I wish well. Hang in there it will be worth in the end.

Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
(female)

Noturningback HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam22 View Post
Hi I hope you are doing ok. I had my tonsils removed on 13Feb08. Some people on these message boards seem to have had a much easier time than I have had. My Dr didn't tell me anything about what to expect. The second day my uvula was so swollen it was resting on my tongue. My husband called the Dr and his assistant said that it was normal and ok as long as I could still breathe. The swelling lasted a couple of weeks. Do not feel bad if you are still feeling awful and in pain even a month or so after the op. I found the second and third week to be the worst for everything. Just take it easy. Rest as much as you can. Drink as much water and other fluids as you can as well. Ensure you have really strong pain killers and ask for Benzydamine (you need a prescription). The Benzydamine is a oral rinse. It numbs the throat; I had to use it before I could eat anything. Be sure to eat as much as you can and rinse with water or salt water afterwards. I found having a humidfier and an ice pack helped a great deal. I also wrote down when I took the pain killers as I could only take them every 4 hours and would not have known in the middle of the night whether or not to take them. Do not over do it. As with everything each persons experience is different. Do not worry about contacting your Dr that is what they are there for.
I wish well. Hang in there it will be worth in the end.

Regards
Thank you so much for the reply.

I'm one of the fortunate ones who had an easy go of it. I wish I knew what it was that made the difference. I would tell everyone to do the same magic thing. I have a thread going entitled: Positive T&A Story - 34 yr old Female

Oddly enough - today the swelling went down dramatically. It's almost back to normal. It was swollen to the point that it rested on my tongue as well. I'm now Day 11 Post Op. I was starting to think that I would need steroids to shrink it.

I had very bad edema with the surgery though. I gained 9lbs of water weight. I'm thinking that may have contributed to the swelling of my uvula.

I'm sorry you weren't well informed aout post op.

Are you doing well now?

~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
(female)

Jam22 HB User

I'm getting better. I still have quite a bit of pain and discomfort. I'm 45 years old so maybe that has something to do with it.

All I can say is don't over do it. You can still have bleeding up to a month afterwords and it takes 3 -6 months for your thoat to fully heal.

I'm glad things are better for you.

Take it easy.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

Noturningback HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam22 View Post
I'm getting better. I still have quite a bit of pain and discomfort. I'm 45 years old so maybe that has something to do with it.

All I can say is don't over do it. You can still have bleeding up to a month afterwords and it takes 3 -6 months for your thoat to fully heal.

I'm glad things are better for you.

Take it easy.
I'm 35.....I'm happy you are doing better.

~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Closed Thread