It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
(female)

lroberts21 HB User
Lump in throat feeling/ hard to swallow(HELP)

Ok,so i never have done this before.I will go ahead & tell you this might be a little long.THis all started back in Dec.I woke up one morning after having a bad sinus infection & the worse cough i have ever had.THen i went to work,i work for a pediatrician.THey couldnt explain what was going on as well.So i had a feeling like something was stuck in my throat & it was hard to swallow.I went to the Dr.THey said it was a sinus infection & nothing serious.I was put on meds & it still didnt go away.WEnt to another ENT & he said i had acid reflux.I still explained my uncomfortable feeling.I know people with acid reflux & my symptons didnt seem the same.So,i had a cat scan done & ultrasound done.Showed nothing but a small nodule in my thyriod.NOt big at all to be causing this sensation in my throat.So,then i had the light ran down my throat.ONce again,he said it was acid reflux & DX me with dyspigha.(hard to swallow) He then put me on Nexium & zantac everyday.I had this done in FEb.ITs now April almost & i still have this awful feeling.He put me on Valium as well.I'm not crazy,i just want this feeling in my throat to go away!! I'm only 27 years old & falling apart.I have 2 small children & I cant function.My husband thinks its in myhead,you cant make up a feeling like this!!!THis has taking over my whole LIFE!! The best way to describe it is a feeling like you are fixing to cry,but i never get a break.ITs always there.I go to bed at night praying it will go away & wake up & the feeling is still there.I'm back in forth to the Drs every week since DEc & noone can help! Please is there anyone out there who can help me or give me some advice & tell me I'm not the only one & it will go away!!! Sorry so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

baylee61 HB User
Re: Lump in throat feeling/ hard to swallow(HELP)

I had the lump in the throat feeling as my primary and most uncomfortable symptom of acid reflux. It took closer to 4 months for it to disappear completely. I'm currently on Nexium 40 mg a day and it looks like I might be on this forever. The second stage of my reflex (after the lump in the throat finally disappeared) was a 'gnawing' in my upper stomach and lots of churning and growling in my stomach. I could constantly feel the 'refluxing' into the esophagus. The third stage is a feeling of "warmth" after eating something. For the most part the feeling dissipates after an hour or so without blowing up to full-blown heartburn. How long will this relative control of my reflex last? I don't know.

Last edited by baylee61; 03-26-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
(female)

lillipop09 HB User

Hi there!
I had this exact same feeling for a very long time. I went and had all the tests done and they said I had the same thing. I went and saw my regular doc and she put me on an anxiety med...lexapro...within about 6 weeks the lump was gone. I am wondering since this has gone on so long and you are at your breaking point if this is now causing anxiety? Just a thought!

Best of luck to you! I remember how awful that feeling was....lillipop

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

jcost10 HB User

I had the same problems since December. I was put on reflux meds and nothing worked. It was so frustrating. I had an an ultra sound of my sinus, cat scan of my throat, blood work, ect and everything came out fine. However, I had an endoscopy and my esophogus was mildly inflamed. That's why I was put on nexium 2'x a day. But after 3 months and total diet overhaul, I had NO signs of improvement. Plus, I was also feeling crummy too. That's when I decided to get my tonsils out. The doctor found a ton of tonsil stones hidden deep in the crypts of both my tonsils. He believes that might have caused my problems. I think so too. Hard to totally tell right now because the pain from the surgery overpowers any other pain, but my geuss is that this did the trick for me. When I swallow now, it doesn't feel like I am swallowing a grape fruit.

Have you had an endoscopy done? Do you have tonsils?
And it's true, if you do indeed have reflux (specifically, LPR reflux or "silent" relux), it can take several months for it to resolve in conjuction with lifestyle modifications. Usually, you will need to take it twice a day at higher doses for LPR. Once a day won't work. I am very familiar with reflux as I work on an acid reflux med for a phamaceutical company.

I know it's frustrating, but be patient. If your only complaint is the throat problem (no fatigue, flu-like feelings,ect..), then it's probably reflux. Just commit yourself to a new diet program, excersize for 30 minutes a day, and continue to take your relfux meds. If you don't show ANY signs of improvements after 3 -4 months, then something else might be going on. These reflux meds have an extremely high sucess rate.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
(female)

jcost10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee61 View Post
I had the lump in the throat feeling as my primary and most uncomfortable symptom of acid reflux. It took closer to 4 months for it to disappear completely. I'm currently on Nexium 40 mg a day and it looks like I might be on this forever. The second stage of my reflex (after the lump in the throat finally disappeared) was a 'gnawing' in my upper stomach and lots of churning and growling in my stomach. I could constantly feel the 'refluxing' into the esophagus. The third stage is a feeling of "warmth" after eating something. For the most part the feeling dissipates after an hour or so without blowing up to full-blown heartburn. How long will this relative control of my reflex last? I don't know.
How long did it take you to notice SOME improvement after you began your reflux meds. I am just curious. Also, did you change your diet at all?

The thing is with these types of drugs or proton pump inhibitors such as nexium, achiphex, ect... is that they shut off the acid pumps in your stomach. Some acid will still be produced, but very little. When this happens, your esophogus can heal. The esophogus is extremely sensitive to acid. it wasn't designed to handle acid like the stomach. So it will take time to heal.

Some people end up being on PPI's for years. But, clinical trials were tested for several months, not years. There is no real study on the long term effects of taking these PPI's for years. Therefore, if it were me, I would be reluctant to take something for a long period of time without knowing the consequence.

My recommendation to you would be to use the meds to get the situation under control. Then, wean yourself off the meds and change you diet. Learn what foods trigger the reflux and keep them at bay. You don't want to get stuck taking these meds for the rest of your life if it's something you can control by some simple lifestyle changes. Also, note that if you have been taking a PPI for an extended period of time, some people experience a "rebound" effect. This means that the acid will go in over production mode for a period of time because the pumps have been shut off and you can end up where you started. To avoid this, be sure to wean yourself off the meds once you feel better, and continue your eating modifications.

Last edited by jcost10; 03-27-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
(female)

lroberts21 HB User

Hey there,
after my ENT ran the light down my throat back on FEb4 th,he said i had some eroision.He then put me on NExium twice aday & Zantac at night.He said my acid reflux want even that bad.Which is odd to me that i have felt like this for 4months now.I mean this is the worse feeling to feel like there is something stuck in your throat & hard to swallow as well.To be honest i really have noticed a change with the acid meds.Do you think i should ask for something different.I heard Nexium was the best.I just dont want to deal with this for the rest of my LIfe.Its so stressful.Esp to be only 27!! I wasnt expecting things like this untill i got to 50 or so.THese days i feel like i want ever make it !! Thanks for your input..

Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

lroberts21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts21 View Post
Hey there,
after my ENT ran the light down my throat back on FEb4 th,he said i had some eroision.He then put me on NExium twice aday & Zantac at night.He said my acid reflux want even that bad.Which is odd to me that i have felt like this for 4months now.I mean this is the worse feeling to feel like there is something stuck in your throat & hard to swallow as well.To be honest i really have noticed a change with the acid meds.Do you think i should ask for something different.I heard Nexium was the best.I just dont want to deal with this for the rest of my LIfe.Its so stressful.Esp to be only 27!! I wasnt expecting things like this untill i got to 50 or so.THese days i feel like i want ever make it !! Thanks for your input..

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

jcost10 HB User

I would give it another month. It can take a long time to heal, especially if there are erosions albeit mild. By the way, the erosions are a pretty significant sign of reflux - so do not discontinue your meds. You don't want to be on this stuff for another 4 months because you stopped. It really can take 4-5 months to resolve.

You might want to consider switching your PPI. Everyone's body chemistry is made up differently and, incidentally, you may respond to one med over another. Nexium might be the "best" for some, but not everyone.

Try calling your doctor and tell him that you are not responding to the nexium. You might need a higher dose. If you are already at high dose twice daily, then there are other meds that work just the same such as Prevacid and Aciphex.

Also, I am sure your GI doc mentioned this to you, but take the PPI 30 minutes before you eat breakfast and 30 minutes before dinner. You must be consistent with the regimen. Also, allow 3-5 hours after you eat dinner to go to bed. Stick to this and to an alkaline diet for another month and see if you notice any improvements.

BTW, anxiety does exasperate the problem. Think about the times when you had a good cry before this and how your throat would tense up. That's why your doctor probably prescribed you the valium. No one thinks your crazy, he just wants you to relax so that your condition doesn't feel worse than it already is.

You will be fine. Just commit to a reformed diet and exersize plan. In fact, start a journal documenting your symptoms and progress for the next month. That will help you and your doctor narrow down your problem.

Good luck.

Closed Thread