It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
(male)

starling80 HB User
Sore Throat & Antibiotics Question

I woke up with a sore throat on Thursday last week and wrote it off to sinus drainage (there was some and the soreness was up quite high in my throat). By the end of the day, I was tired and my throat was more painful and had turned quite red so I went to a local walk-in clinic.

The Dr. examined me and had a strep test done, which came back negative. He seemed surprised by that and told me to go home and rest for a few days. He also gave me a prescription for Azithromycin and told me not to fill it for 3-5 days...to wait and see if my symptoms got better or worse.

Today (Sunday) is day 4 of the sore throat...it's "epicenter" has moved much lower in my throat, down around my adam's apple and the back of my throat is still quite red and sore. I am also feeling pressure in my ears and the pain radiates to them when I swallow. Also, noticed 2-3 white spots on the back of my throat. I have no runny nose, watery eyes or sneezing, but do have an occasional dry cough with this...not enough to wake me at night or bother me much...just the sore throat. I have no idea if I have a fever...been taking advil for this since Thursday morning. Temp at the doc was 98.8 on Thursday and I usually run at 97.6 or so...

Should I go get that antibiotic scrip filled? I hesitate to take antibiotics unless I really need to, but I'm thinking I probably should at this point. Too bad the doctor left this up to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
(male)

jasonv11 HB User
Re: Sore Throat & Antibiotics Question

dont screw around that doctor is guessing what you have. go see a (ENTdoctor )

Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
(female)

leeann123456 HB User
Re: Sore Throat & Antibiotics Question

Well ive had to much experience with throat problems. Ive had strep, and i literally wasnt eating anything because it felt like knives were in your throat and when you swallowed like they all gabbed you.

And im wanting for my tonsils to come out, becaus eim getting tonsillitis literally once i stop meds for it. When i get that my ears killll! And my throat at the back is always raw and reallyy painful before my tonsils flare up.I no when im getting this only because of how often im getting it i know the signs of it coming back on, i cant sleep for about 3 days before and my ears start to hurt my throat starts to hurt and i get a dull headache for about 3 weeks until they actually flare up plus random fevers and chills.

Now when i had strep, i would always get extremly HOT and then just shiver like crazy! So its possible you might not have it, although you could get a second opinion JUST to be sure, if not id say it wont kill you, and it could help you by taking the meds if they dont help within 4 days of taking them, then get another opinion.

Closed Thread