It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

Mich5 HB User
What can an ENT see when he uses the scope to view the vocal cords? Muscle weakness?

Here's my situation...

I have TMJ so I'm not sure if this plays a part in what's going on with my vocal cords or not but I know due to TMJ I DO have jaw tightness, so much so, sometimes my speech is ultimately not perfect as I have some trouble saying S sounds for instance that I know is due to jaw tightness.

But for the past 3 weeks or so I noticed my voice has gotten slightly deeper in sound. Nothing too dramatic but slightly deeper and gravely in sound but again nothing significant. I do have some slight drainage and neck tightness too which I can't tell again if it's TMJ related or related to my throat, maybe both?

I've had vocal cord nodules before so I went into my ENT who did a scope where he numbed my nose, put the scope through my one nostril down to my larynx and examined my vocal cords.

After the exam he said everything looked perfectly fine...

No nodules, polyps, tumors, inflammation, vocal cords moved normally, everything was normal.

So that's good but here I sit with a voice change still not really knowing WHY. I read and probably read too much, and noticed how neurological conditions can cause hoarseness although it's a rare cause. Then I got worried.

So my question is can an ENT tell if you show signs of neurological disease affecting your vocal cords with the scope? If so, how? Would your cords be paralyzed? Could he see weakness that would point to it?

Basically what I'm asking is would a normal scope of my larynx with him saying my mobility was normal rule out neurological disease? Could he see if there was weakness going on and my cords wouldn't be moving correctly?

Thanks.

I have no idea if this is due to TMJ, does anyone here have TMJ with voice changes?

Last edited by Mich5; 04-19-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

TMJsucks HB User
Re: What can an ENT see when he uses the scope to view the vocal cords? Muscle weakne

I wish I could answer this for you and I'm sorry no one has yet, but I would like to know the same thing since I'm experiencing some of the same symptoms you are and I'm wondering if a visit to the ENT is worth it or not.

Hope someone with knowledge helps us out.

Last edited by TMJsucks; 04-21-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
Re: What can an ENT see when he uses the scope to view the vocal cords? Muscle weakne

Hi I can tell you exactly what your Dr sees! I have been scoped with camera and RECORDED 4 times. Each time muy DR played back the video and you can clearly see if there is weakness or paralysis or not. In my case I saw 2x total paralysis of right vocal cord and than with healing 3rd time miminmal movement and 4th more movement. It was in color viseo and absolutely clear. My dr showed me the viseo with in moments of scoping me.

So if he says your vocal cords are good , I would believe him but why not ask for the play back of the video?

Regards

Julyg

Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

Mich5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyg View Post
Hi I can tell you exactly what your Dr sees! I have been scoped with camera and RECORDED 4 times. Each time muy DR played back the video and you can clearly see if there is weakness or paralysis or not. In my case I saw 2x total paralysis of right vocal cord and than with healing 3rd time miminmal movement and 4th more movement. It was in color viseo and absolutely clear. My dr showed me the viseo with in moments of scoping me.

So if he says your vocal cords are good , I would believe him but why not ask for the play back of the video?

Regards

Julyg
Hi, Julyg!

Thank you so much for the response, I really appreciate it.

What, can I ask, was wrong with your vocal cords that caused the paralysis? I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Is your voice better now?

And yes, when my doctor did the scope, well I have to say, he wasn't the more personable doctor I've ever encountered, lets put it that way. I wasn't even aware of him doing the recording. Is that automatically done when a scope takes place? He just scoped me then said he found nothing abnormal, my mobility was normal but never showed me a video of it.

I still sit with this voice change and have no idea what's causing it either which is very frustrating.

One more question... have you ever heard of a stroboscopy? sp? And how these two scopes would differ?

So would you believe with your expertise in this area having experienced this vocal cord problem, seeing the video and understanding what you're seeing I can be confident that my vocal cords are functioning normally if he said it was an entirely normal scope/exam? I know this seems like a stupid question, I think you're right if I visually saw it, it might make all the difference in the world. But I'm glad you have seen it and you can shed some light, so thank you.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Hi
I had an ACDF surgery (front approach going thru neck near larangyal nerve which controls vocal cord movement) to repair herniated discs in my neck. Th Dr accidentally damaged the nerve causing paralysis to the right vocal fold also called vocal cord.

My Cleveland Clinic ENT knew instantly by doing a regular scope I had vocal cord paralysis. He then scheduled me for a strobe scope and this allows for the video recording.

I have learned a lot about how to select a dr after this mishap and now I know do not trust the institutions reputation but the doctor's reputation.

Back to you, you have a very specialized disorder where a regular ENT with standard equipment may not be for you. I have a great ENT in my home town who I would NEVER go to for my voice as his expertise is in ear and nose.

Please call 3 hospitals in your area and ask to speak to a speech pathologist.
Ask the 3 of them which Dr they would go to for a voice disorder.
You should get some consensus as to who is the best, and request the strobe test! The video is very very clear, full color and YOU instantly see if there is a problem.

Please do not be afraid to ask for the test and to see it. You should also be working with a speech pathologist for exercises to loosen jaw tightness etc.
You need a script for that from any medical Dr. Just be sure you get a good speech pathologist.....they are God sent!

Regards

July

Closed Thread