It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Help! Ear Popping

I am always having problems with my left ear, couple times year an ear infection or something. I am almost always off balance and been that way for a few years now. I have had a ent look at it and do some tests but without insurance I can't do to many. It usually has some discomfort but not always pain, but sometimes. So my question is, I was sitting at my desk 2 days ago and my ear popped very loud and it has been doing that on and off since. If I touch my ear it kinda hurts and pops almost like it feels like it has water in it. Any idea's on what to do? This is driving my up the walls. Thank you for listening.
Julie

Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: Help! Ear Popping

You probably have fluid behind your eardrum that is not draining properly through your eustachian tube. I've had this problem all my life, except for most of my 20's, and usually once a year my eardrum ruptures. The loud popping sound in your ear could have been a perforation (a hole) or it could have been that some of the fluid drained and now there is more air bubbling the fluid (which is not a bad thing). I understand you don't have insurance but it would be good to get this looked at. If you have a recurring problem with this then you may find a solution with having tubes inserted into your eardrums. You probably have an infection and an antibiotic treatment would help clear it up quickly. Also, you may want to try Claritin or Zyrtec to help dry up sinus secretions (which is probably the fluid behind your eardrum). This is the course of treatment my doctors always suggest. Of course, you need to see your own doctor as there could be something else going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Thank you bleigh for your response. I do take either Allegra D or Claritan D to help keep it drained. Wow, to have a ear rupture must be painful. I feel for you, this is uncomfortable. I have thought about having the tubes done as a Dr had mentioned it for me to think on just never followed thru on that. Have you had that done? I heard you have to make sure to never get water in your ear after that. Maybe I will call the Dr. office tomorrow just to have it looked at. Thanx so much.
Julie

Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

bleigh HB User

Yes, it does hurt, but I've had perforations that I didn't even know were there. Anyway, if you get tubes you will need to wear earplugs when you're in water. I had tubes many times as a child and I was also an avid swimmer and I never had any problems keeping water out of my ears. Definitely worth it...I'm probably going to get them put in before the end of the year.

Closed Thread