It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
(female)

jenl2881 HB User
Unhappy Severe ear pain.

I have been having pain in my ear for months now. I have TMJ and two wisdom teeth coming in (both at the top). I have just assumed the pain was due to this. I got tonsillitis a month or so ago (3rd time in 2 years) and the pain has been SEVERE since. I work in the cold and don't know if this has something to do with it. It ALWAYS hurts. If i have a sort of "deep breath" - you know where you sort of inhale and let air out of your stomach almost - I have severe pain. I went to the school's health center and they just gave me Tylenol and said my ear looked fine... my mom saw a lot of ear wax and redness. She gave me ear wax drops and then the pain got so bad I had to try and get the stuff out of my ear. When it throbs is the worst. I'm afraid to take a deep breath or yawn...

I even had trouble hearing out of the ear for about a week. Sounded like i was hearing through a screen. I have been running low grade fevers as well and wanting to sleep a lot. I've been taking the Augmentin the doctor gave me for the tonsillitis (she gave me a shot instead so I still had the bottle) and no help. I even take MG of Vitamin C in the morning and 1000 at night. I am seeing my doctor Tues. I really can't afford to see my ENT since he's $30 a visit plus whatever he does. I have $1800 to pay my college yet and books (i maxed out my loans for summer and fall terms).

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any symptoms like mine Yes the wisdom teeth do hurt but the pain in that ear now is WAY more sever than it used to be. I have to wear ear plugs to shower or the pain is agonizing. I keep missing work due to fevers and fatigue. I still get hungry but i haven't wanted to eat much lately... Thanks for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: Severe ear pain.

I do hope by now you're better or have seen a doctor!!! Ear pain coupled with fever means an infection, and even though you're taking the Augmentin you may need a different med.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

did the doc say if there was any fluid in your ear? That can be very painful and can last months. If you can take decongestants, try some mucionex d.

Do you have any health coverage for a chiropractor or massage therapist? Both of them can help get your eustachian tubes to drain.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

When severe ear pain hits you do the following:

Take a strong decongestant (drixoral repetab)

Use a spray decongestant (Afrin, Otrivin)... wait 5 minutes and use it again

Take 2 Advil Liquigels

Put a heating pad or hot water bottle on the ear for 20 minutes

Closed Thread