It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

pixiecivic92 HB User
Unhappy post op bleeding after tonsillectomy everynite please help

i just had my tonsil's removed on may 5 and it was all going ok till day 4 i started bleeding at nite but got it to stop with sum ice water after bout 4 min but then the next night the same thing happend the emergency room just keeps sending me home telling me if im able to stop it ill b ok im on day 7 and im praying no bleeding tonight but up till now ive bled everynite. has this happend to n e one else please help me sooooo scared and does it eventually stop. please n e one let me know........

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

apple17.8 HB User
Re: post op bleeding after tonsillectomy everynite please help

Pixie we are on the same timeline, I got mine out the 5th, too. I'm so sorry you are going through this! Since I don't know when you will see this I'm going to run through a bunch of ideas. I know you don't want this to happen again tonight so I'm going to brainstorm with you, okay?

First I'll ask...you are not taking any meds that are blood thinners, right? Advil, aleve, etc. Just asking because sometimes people don't realize.

Are you getting enough water? That's 2-3 liters a day at least, more if you are drinking tea or something that works as a diuretic. I had to set alarms to make sure I was drinking enough, just like I set alarms for my meds. I especially set alarms to go off when I was sleeping to wake me up and drink. Everything is so swollen that any sleep means mouth-breathing for me, then everything flaps around, swells up and dries out. That is when I bled. I also did ice-water constantly after I bled, figuring if it would stop bleeders maybe it would prevent them too?

Are you only bleeding when you try to sleep? Are you elevating your head? Liquid only diet? Resting quietly and no talking? I'm going through what the dr. told me when I bled, you can look at my thread for more information.

One more thing...how is your blood pressure? If your blood pressure is elevated that may be a contributing factor, and since you are under stress about bleeding I'm gonna say your blood pressure may be elevated. Perhaps you could be prescribed a beta-blocker for a few days which will block stress hormones, slow your pulse and lower your blood pressure. I have a prescription for metoprolol that I take occasionally and chose to take it during this process knowing my blood pressure would be up. The time I bled I had not taken the dose because I thought it might be interacting with the roxicet. Now I have to wonder if I had taken it perhaps I would not have had a problem.

Also...what are you doing for humidity in the room? I have a little tent set up with the humidifier inside to make a moist breathing zone around my torso. If you have a vaporizer or humidifier you can jerry-rig a tent with laundry baskets, shower curtain rods and a sheet in a pinch. I did this many times when I had strep. It's not the most comfortable and takes up the whole bed but it would be the only way I could get any sleep. Now I actually have a frame of pvc pipe that took my husband about a half hour to build for me and is very comfy.

I'm out of ideas for now. I'll stay online another half hour just in case you are still up and see this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
(male)

SoupGuy84 HB User

Lots of good advices from apple here, the key word (as she says)is to keep your throat moist - all the time. That makes the scabs hold on longer, thus giving them more time to heal the broken tissue beneath.

I`ve read about people that "force" their scabs out, and they often start to bleed afterwards, or get new scabs..

I didn`t have a humidifier, so the first week or so, I had my gf wake me up every 3hour or so to drink water.

You should sleep elevated and not on the side, if you sleep on the side, the opposite side of your throat may become dry, and that`s no good. Try sleeping so you get an even flow of saliva on both sides. Saliva contains enzymes that has healing properties, so it`s important!

Also, as a last note, both Vitamin-E and Selčn can be blood thinners, so be extra careful around that.(check you food..)

I would definitely use a little flashlight, a plastic knife(or something else that is flat..) and check your throat. There is nothing more satisfying than to actually see the healing, and see how the scabs come off little by little. It will also help you relax when you see that there is no bleeding going on

Good luck and let us know how you are!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

pixiecivic92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuy84 View Post
Lots of good advices from apple here, the key word (as she says)is to keep your throat moist - all the time. That makes the scabs hold on longer, thus giving them more time to heal the broken tissue beneath.

I`ve read about people that "force" their scabs out, and they often start to bleed afterwards, or get new scabs..

I didn`t have a humidifier, so the first week or so, I had my gf wake me up every 3hour or so to drink water.

You should sleep elevated and not on the side, if you sleep on the side, the opposite side of your throat may become dry, and that`s no good. Try sleeping so you get an even flow of saliva on both sides. Saliva contains enzymes that has healing properties, so it`s important!

Also, as a last note, both Vitamin-E and Selčn can be blood thinners, so be extra careful around that.(check you food..)

I would definitely use a little flashlight, a plastic knife(or something else that is flat..) and check your throat. There is nothing more satisfying than to actually see the healing, and see how the scabs come off little by little. It will also help you relax when you see that there is no bleeding going on

Good luck and let us know how you are!
thank you for the advise i have been sleeping on my side and my stomach and it really only happens at night except this mourning at 730 i woke up bleeding and couldnt stop it for an hour so i went to my ent and he cauterized my left tonsill the one he saw was bleeding but he didnt do my right side now im scared that side will start. right now i feel like a warm sensation kinda like when i was bleeding going down my throat but not heavy and i dont see blood could i b bleeding again just to low to see or is there mabe sumthing draining sorry i have alot of questions bout this..this really sucks

Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

pixiecivic92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple17.8 View Post
Pixie we are on the same timeline, I got mine out the 5th, too. I'm so sorry you are going through this! Since I don't know when you will see this I'm going to run through a bunch of ideas. I know you don't want this to happen again tonight so I'm going to brainstorm with you, okay?

First I'll ask...you are not taking any meds that are blood thinners, right? Advil, aleve, etc. Just asking because sometimes people don't realize.

Are you getting enough water? That's 2-3 liters a day at least, more if you are drinking tea or something that works as a diuretic. I had to set alarms to make sure I was drinking enough, just like I set alarms for my meds. I especially set alarms to go off when I was sleeping to wake me up and drink. Everything is so swollen that any sleep means mouth-breathing for me, then everything flaps around, swells up and dries out. That is when I bled. I also did ice-water constantly after I bled, figuring if it would stop bleeders maybe it would prevent them too?

Are you only bleeding when you try to sleep? Are you elevating your head? Liquid only diet? Resting quietly and no talking? I'm going through what the dr. told me when I bled, you can look at my thread for more information.

One more thing...how is your blood pressure? If your blood pressure is elevated that may be a contributing factor, and since you are under stress about bleeding I'm gonna say your blood pressure may be elevated. Perhaps you could be prescribed a beta-blocker for a few days which will block stress hormones, slow your pulse and lower your blood pressure. I have a prescription for metoprolol that I take occasionally and chose to take it during this process knowing my blood pressure would be up. The time I bled I had not taken the dose because I thought it might be interacting with the roxicet. Now I have to wonder if I had taken it perhaps I would not have had a problem.

Also...what are you doing for humidity in the room? I have a little tent set up with the humidifier inside to make a moist breathing zone around my torso. If you have a vaporizer or humidifier you can jerry-rig a tent with laundry baskets, shower curtain rods and a sheet in a pinch. I did this many times when I had strep. It's not the most comfortable and takes up the whole bed but it would be the only way I could get any sleep. Now I actually have a frame of pvc pipe that took my husband about a half hour to build for me and is very comfy.

I'm out of ideas for now. I'll stay online another half hour just in case you are still up and see this.
thank you 2 for the advise i didnt think n e one would know what i was talking bout. no i havent taken no aspirin and i been on mostly liquid diet but with cream of wheat or applesauce too but i heard that was ok and i was sleeping elevated at 1st till i started choking on the blood at night now i do my side or my stomach but it still happens. i bled last night bout 2 o clockam till 3 then i woke up at 730 with a mouthful again so i ran to my ent and he ended up cauterizing my left side the side that was bleeding then but now i home and i still feel a warm sensation of sumthing draining down my throat but yet i cant see blood do you have an idea on what it could b it did this last night to after i got the bleeding to pretty much stop. I hear u get reddish stuff not just blood that drains 5to7 days after but that was on a different site. could it b a bleed just farther back you cant see. b4 i left the hospital they lookd a lil not really good but said they saw no more bood i dont know im just scared and confused.....

Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this! Having bleeding hanging over your head all the time must be absolutely awful.

I wish I had something to say that would help. The warm sensation could be drainage and mucous or it could be a bleed farther down, but I would think they would have really checked back there before they let you go. If you think you are bleeding very gently gargle that ice water for a little then sip it constantly for a half hour and see what happens.

I would personally go on an all liquid diet for a day or two. Applesauce and cream of wheat are just fine...IF you are not bleeding. I would be doing ice water around the clock and DO NOT LAY DOWN. Keep that head up! The further your head is above your heart the less blood pressure to your throat pushing at your wound. If you start to bleed you can bend forward quickly, have a cup by the bed.

I know you just wish it would stop. We hope for you that it will stop. And you know what? At some point it will. THIS WILL NOT LAST FOREVER, YOU JUST NEED TO ENDURE IT WHILE IT DOES. You can do that, I have confidence in you!

Sadly we're not doctors to give you better advice, and this is the only practical advice I can think of. I hope it helps in some way, if only to know that people are thinking of you.

Last edited by apple17.8; 05-13-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
(male)

SoupGuy84 HB User

heh.. so you had to go through cauterizing? Welcome to the club!

No, but seriously that COULD just be a good thing for you right now. I know from ALOT of reading that if someone has a second surgery and cauterizing, the chance is 0.1% or something that you will go through it again.. on that one side atleast..

Trust me, I know just how you feel about the bleeding, I`ve been there myself, two times actually..

If it gives you any comfort you can read my thread below, then you`ll see that you are not alone..

It will get better! If I can pull through, so can you

as apple said, we care, cause we know what you are going through.

hang in there.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-14-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
(female)

pixiecivic92 HB User

is the cauterizing effective im so scared to bleed again ive already bled b4 this 5 nights in a row i think im scard........

Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

Is it only the one side you kept bleeding on, or did you have problems from both sides?

If it was only the one side, you should be fine. That should take care of it. Just make sure you do all the other things you should be doing as well, like keeping your head elevated.

I'm just finishing up day 9 and I'm still sleeping with my head elevated, torture for a stomach sleeper like me. But if I lay flat, or close to flat, I can feel all that pressure at my throat and to me it's not worth it.

I know you are scared, but if you think about it you should have just been through the very worst of it. It will get better.

Have you bled since you were cauterized? It's been a whole day and night, right? Were you okay last night?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
(female)

pixiecivic92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple17.8 View Post
Is it only the one side you kept bleeding on, or did you have problems from both sides?

If it was only the one side, you should be fine. That should take care of it. Just make sure you do all the other things you should be doing as well, like keeping your head elevated.

I'm just finishing up day 9 and I'm still sleeping with my head elevated, torture for a stomach sleeper like me. But if I lay flat, or close to flat, I can feel all that pressure at my throat and to me it's not worth it.

I know you are scared, but if you think about it you should have just been through the very worst of it. It will get better.

Have you bled since you were cauterized? It's been a whole day and night, right? Were you okay last night?
ive had 2 nights so far no bleeding at first i had a prob with the right then it got a huge clot and i dnt think it has again then the left started and he cauterized just that side hopefully it stays this way no bleeding.do u know if i can still eat stuff like mac n cheese or soft stuff like that i wasnt sure and i still have the feeling like i got sumthing draining down the right side but i dnt see blood its kinda constant feeling though??????

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

Congratulations, that's terrific! I would think if you have made it without bleeding for a couple days, go for the mac and cheese. You deserve it.

As for the stuff draining...you know, what you may be feeling is all the mucous. There is a lot. Almost like post-nasal drip, you know? I thought it was mostly from my sinus surgery but everyone else who has had their tonsils out has commented on the amount of mucous, which basically protects and keeps things moist to heal. If you look in the back of your throat at this point you should see it so thick it's bubbly, even, and filling in the holes where your tonsils were. I'm just finishing day 10 and still have a lot of drainage, so I would say what you are feeling sounds normal and nothing to be concerned about.

I think you're good to take a deep breath and relax a bit, it really sounds like the worst is over.

Closed Thread