It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

supersweety007 HB User
Red face PAIN from tonsillectomy

Hello to all. I just had a tonsillectomy done on Friday May 23rd. I am a 26 year old and I don't want to be a baby about this, but I am suffering. I am on lortabl liquids, and it only hurts when I swallow. Just sitting here on the couch with the laptop my pain is about a one or a two, with ten being the worst. When I go to drink my applejuice or water, the pain is about an eight or nine. I don't think I can take it anymore. Should I call the dr to see if they can get me something else? I read on here that other people had liquid gurgle stuff, or something to help numb the pain. I am so thinking of trying to go to the emergency room tonight because it hurts so much. And I told everyone that I am a baby when it comes to pain, and I didn't think I could handle it. Yeah, it seems like it's a really bad case of tonsillitis, but even then I had prednisone and hydrocodone to help me get over the pain. I guess I just need to vent because my husband is not a very sympathetic person, and he honestly has no idea what I am going through. I have been drinking water, water and water, and have switched to some applejuice. And I have been sitting up while sleeping, it seems to do better for me. I have also been chewing gum becuase people have said that it helps. I am willing to try anything. I think I also read on here that people gargle with saltwater, lukewarm and not a lot of salt. OMG, I am willing to do anything. My uvula is swollen and it hurts so bad to swallow that I think I am going to die. I do not think I can handle much more of this, and I am only on day 2 of recovery. And this will go on for two weeks, if I am lucky? I think by then I will rip the rests of my throat out and just take it from there. I hurt so bad. Any other tips of advice? I am willing to try anything!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

Crazymel21 HB User
Re: PAIN from tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersweety007 View Post
Hello to all. I just had a tonsillectomy done on Friday May 23rd. I am a 26 year old and I don't want to be a baby about this, but I am suffering. I am on lortabl liquids, and it only hurts when I swallow. Just sitting here on the couch with the laptop my pain is about a one or a two, with ten being the worst. When I go to drink my applejuice or water, the pain is about an eight or nine. I don't think I can take it anymore. Should I call the dr to see if they can get me something else? I read on here that other people had liquid gurgle stuff, or something to help numb the pain. I am so thinking of trying to go to the emergency room tonight because it hurts so much. And I told everyone that I am a baby when it comes to pain, and I didn't think I could handle it. Yeah, it seems like it's a really bad case of tonsillitis, but even then I had prednisone and hydrocodone to help me get over the pain. I guess I just need to vent because my husband is not a very sympathetic person, and he honestly has no idea what I am going through. I have been drinking water, water and water, and have switched to some applejuice. And I have been sitting up while sleeping, it seems to do better for me. I have also been chewing gum becuase people have said that it helps. I am willing to try anything. I think I also read on here that people gargle with saltwater, lukewarm and not a lot of salt. OMG, I am willing to do anything. My uvula is swollen and it hurts so bad to swallow that I think I am going to die. I do not think I can handle much more of this, and I am only on day 2 of recovery. And this will go on for two weeks, if I am lucky? I think by then I will rip the rests of my throat out and just take it from there. I hurt so bad. Any other tips of advice? I am willing to try anything!!!
Hello! I had my tonsillectomy done on Thursday the 22nd and am 27 years old, so we are awfully close together. I feel pretty fortunate because I'm not really in a whole lot of pain, the most pain I've felt is first thing in the morning when I wake up. I know that your getting tired of drinking straight water, cause I sure am, but I wonder if your apple juice is aggrevating things? I pretty much have my pain controlled to a 1-2 during the day, as long as I stay on top of my water. I've been drinking probably 10-12 glasses a day, and eating small meals every two hours or so. Have you been eating regularly? That's one thing that my doctor told me was to start eating right away to help those muscles in the back of my throat begin to heal.

I called the doctor on Friday morning because I was scared about the long weekend and she suggested that I break my pain pill in half and take half a pill every four hours rather than one every eight. That has really helped, in honesty though, I think that extra strength tylenol has been working as good if not better than the pain medicines. I think the most pain I have had is from the referred pain in my ears!

Hang in there, it will get better!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

Well, the good news is the absolute worst for people seems to be around day 4-5 and only lasts 24 hours or so. I understand TOTALLY where you are!!

Absolutely call the doctor! And be very assertive as to the amount of pain you are in. Let him/her know it's compromising your ability to be hydrated, they get very concerned about that and will want to do something about it. See if you can increase your dosage of lortab (which is liquid vicodin = hydrocodone and acetominophen) to get you over the hump, and ask (assertively!) to be prescribed prednisolone, which is not the same as prednisone. My doctor had me on 1 tsp pred every 12 hours making sure the morning dose was early in the morning. I had tetracaine lollipops, too, but frankly it didn't do much at this stage of pain because for me the pain was deeper. The prednisolone will help with your uvula swelling, too and helps LOADS with pain.

Ice water will help numb things up if it doesn't bother your ears. Just keep it going, make yourself do it and after 10 minutes or so you will feel better. It will help with being hydrated too. If you are not hydrated it not only increases your chance of bleeding but painkillers are less effective.

Frankly I don't know that I would do any salt (ow!), and be very very careful with gargling because you can break a clot loose and then you have a bleeding issue as well as a pain issue. My doctor didn't want me gargling at all unless I was bleeding, and then when I was bleeding only gently until it stopped and then drink ice water.

Don't be afraid to call your doctor on a holiday, they all know this is the stage when pain spikes and will not be surprised (probably expecting it, as a matter of fact). Make sure your pharmacy is open today before you call and have the number ready for the doctor to call in the prednisolone if he will give it to you. I know you know these things, I'm just reminding you because when we are in pain and on narcotics sometimes we have trouble thinking of everything and a reminder is helpful.

Remember it will pass, you just need to get over this hump. Start your 24 hour countdown. It may last a bit longer than that but most likely not much.

God bless you, I hope you get some relief soon!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

One more thing...are you eating? At least be drinking some chicken broth if you are not able to eat right now. If you are not getting in enough nutrition it compromises your body's ability to heal and handle pain, plus as Crazy said exercises your muscles back there. I know, last thing you want to be doing right now.

Good news is warm chicken broth was the only thing that never stung and never hurt to swallow. Pacific Organic Chicken Broth is what I used and the only one I can vouch for, but it was a blessing to have even one thing that didn't hurt.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

supersweety007 HB User

Thanks for all of the good advice. My husband called the dr. and he said that they were only able to admit me into the hospital and put me on an iv or I needed to start drinking more. I am now drinking only water, water, and more water. I did try some chicken broth the other day and it was so good!! My husband gave me some cold cottage cheese also, and it was good too but I'm afraid it will get stuck somewhere back there. I hacked up a tiny part of my scab, and was wondering if that was normal because I just had tonsils yanked out on Friday. I thank God that there are other people out there like me who are suffering. My husband never gets sick and has no idea what I am going through. Keep me posted on all of your recovery, I hope it is going well for you all!! I'll keep you posted when things aren't so hazy from the meds!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

Crazymel21 HB User

Glad you finally got ahold of your doc. I go for a follow up visit tomorrow because I had a cyst removed from my turbinate on Thursday with my Tonsillectomy also. I'm really hoping that my throat is healing properly.

I went out with my husband a little bit ago, just to get out of the house, I was going a bit stir crazy. I made the decision that I'm done with the pain medicines except for at night. I keep having hot flashes, am dizzy, and feeling like I'm on a vicodin high. My pain isn't that severe, so I am just going to take the tylenol instead!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

supersweety007 HB User

Crazymel, good to hear that you got out of the house for awhile. I did the same tonight, the whole family came over and we grilled. I mostly sat there and tried not to cry with every swallow, but it was nice weather out. I hope you enjoyed it as well. I wish I could just do the tylenol. Maybe I can, if I stop being such a baby, but darn, it really hurts me when I swallow. I don't even have a dr. appt. until June 23, so it will be aways away for me yet. I think I might try to call him and see if I can get in any earlier. I have just decided that I will take this one day at a time, and this too shall pass. I hope that your throat is feeling better!! If you're not in too much pain then it can't be that bad. Keep me posted.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Sucking on some Benzocaine lozonges (eg Cepecol) can be very helpful, in addition to your prescribed analgesic.

The benzocaine numbs the mouth/throat, and so gives some releif from local pain.

A multivitamin, vitamin c and zinc supplements also help speed healing, resulting in less pain.

telephone your doctor, s/he might beable to give you a stronger pain killer for a day or two to get you over the worst of it. Do you have locum doctors who will come to your house in America?

Last edited by aussiejono; 05-26-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

Are you kidding? Obviously not, but that is awful. He gave you the choice to either suck it up or admit you and nothing in between?!? And this was just a normal tonsillectomy? What a load of hooey. Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry!

I cannot believe he would not increase your dosage, change it up or give you prednisolone, or even that tetracaine lollipops/lidocaine liquid (or whatever it is) to gargle. Nothing? Ugh. What is your dosage? Was this your surgeon or the doctor on call? If it wasn't your surgeon I'd definitely try him tomorrow.

Something you could do is find out how much acetaminophen is in your lortab dosage. You can have up to 4000 mg of acetaminophen a day, so if the amount in the lortab is less than that a day it is possible to supplement with tylenol up to that max amount. You could ask the doctor about that, maybe he would let you do that at least. Sometimes dividing up your dosage into different intervals helps, like Crazy did.

I apologize for the rant. I understand completely the pain you are going through and it's unnecessary. I truly feel for you and I am so sorry.

I'd go for the cepacol at least to try it. That and the ice water. An ice pack around your neck can help, too. Do you know about warm oil for the referred ear pain? Hopefully you won't have it, but if you do, olive oil as warm as you can stand (not hot!) put into your ear canal and plugged with a cotton ball will knock down ear pain considerably. When it wears off, repeat. Works better than painkillers.

I hope this is just the 24 hour hump for you and you feel better soon! If it helps, I recorded my recovery here: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=600956[/url]

Last edited by apple17.8; 05-27-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

Crazymel21 HB User

I think I spoke too soon! I woke up this morning in excrutiating pain and even worse referred pain in my ears than I had had yesterday and the days before. I got to looking - and I know why I feel like this - my scabs are coming off! It looks like the left tonsil has lost more than the right, but, dang, people weren't kidding that it's EXTREMELY painful. My tongue is swollen and my teeth hurt as well as my ears. By this time yesterday I probably would have had 4-5 glasses of water down and I'm struggling to get down my third now. I tried eating some soup which was no problem yesterday and today can barely drink the broth. I hope this is the turning point though! I can deal with this if I know it's going to go away shortly!

I go to the doctor's office in a few hours, so I'll keep you posted as to what he says - hopefully this is all normal!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
(female)

supersweety007 HB User

Apple 17, absolutely not. My mom is staying with me for a few days and decided to call them about it too, and the nurse told her they couldn't give me a higher dosage of anything because they were afraid of thinning my blood and having my scabs fall off too soon. Oh, the agony!! The water is going down a lot better, but I tried some more apple juice today thinking it would be ok, and it lit my thorat on fire! I am staying away from the apple juice, and just sticking to water. I have been having at a minimum of one hundred ounces of water per day, and more if I can stand it. I will try the Cepecol, is that found in just a regular drug store? I think I will try anything. And I am so sorry that your pain is not too bad Crazymel!! Lemme know if the doc said that was normal. Okay, so a few questions maybe you know that I don't. I think I read somewhere around the first week or so, your scabs will come off. How long is that unbearable pain going to be? I read on a few other threads that some people are eating regular food in thier second week, when others are not eating well into the first month. My main concern is the pain when the scabs come off. If I am in agony now, what the hell am I going to do when the scabs come off? I am being such a baby, but this is so bad.
I think I will try the Cepacol and then maybe some tylenol. I am on 7.5 mg of the hyrdocodone liquid, four teaspoons every four hours. I am starting to get some of the ear pain now, and I think I will try the olive oil thing too. Haven't heard of it, thanks a bunch. I will let you know how it works.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User

I ALSO HAVE MY FOLLOW UP VISIT TOMORROW, ( I HAD SEPTOPLASTY, up3, AND TONSILECTOMY 2 WEEKS AGO TODAY. I CAN EMPATHIZE, IM 57 YEARS OLD, AND THE PAIN THAT I WENT THROUGH FOR PARTICULARLY THE FIRST 3 DAYS AFTER WAS UNREAL. I HAVE A HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE AND I WAS IN TEARS A COUPLE OF TIMES. LOSING 7 POUNDS IN 4 DAYS WAS THE UP SIDE

Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User

I cant identitfy with the scabs everyone speaks of. I cant tell if there are any, I cant see that far down, I had laser, did all of you as well?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User

Supersweetie007;

Im day 14 today, But I also had my soft palate and uvula shaved ( laser) along with the tonsilectomy. Plus a deviated septum all in one felled swoop. I can tell you if I had to do it again Id not have it all done at once. i waqs in agony for the forst 3 days, day 4 on gets a bit better every day. I see teh ENT tomorrow, and God willing he will remove the nasal splints. Not blowing your nose for 2 weeks is not fun! It does get better, tonsils wise though. This is as I said, my day 14 and the tonsil pain is a 2 or 3, minimal. I'll find out tomorrow what he has to say.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
(female)

PittsburghLyn HB User

CrazyMel21, how many days post op are you? Please let me know what the doc had to say, this doesnt sound status quo.

Closed Thread