It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
(female)

yellowdaisy HB User
Continued raspy voice one month after laryngitis

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any feedback from others who have been through this. One month ago I had a cold which resulted in a severe case of total laryngitis. After a few days, the doctor prescribed flonase to take down the swelling in my nose and throat. I only continued the flonase for a few days because I felt it was irritating my throat and making me cough a LOT. The flonase brought my voice back somewhat, but a month later, it still is not back to completely normal.

I cannot sing at all, basically because I have no range into higher pitches. At parties, I get exhausted because I can't keep up the louder volume you need to use for very long. My voice sounds scratchy all the time. My voice is basically very weak. Sometimes my throat feels very dry.

My doctor prescribed a trial of prilosec because I have a little reflux. I've been taking that for about a week so far. She also said to make an appt with an ENT. I know I need to find one who specializes in voice (as some are more focused on sinuses, etc.). And I know I may need some voice therapy.

I am drinking tons of water. I am staying away from alcohol and cutting down on caffeine. I am also trying to talk as little as possible. Kind of hard, as I'm a teacher!

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks so much.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
(female)

mandi77 HB User
Re: Continued raspy voice one month after laryngitis

i was just gonna post this question!! about a month ago i had laryngitis. i still dont have my voice back to normal. its scratchy and i can not sing a high note for the life of me. i didnt take anything for it cuz i didnt have any other symptoms. any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Continued raspy voice one month after laryngitis

are you sure sinus drainage isn't contributing to the problem? I use a neti pot 2-3 times a day instead of using my nasonex (steroid). That helps quite a bit

Closed Thread