It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

okwdvc HB User
Severe ear pain when flying

My son is 10 and has suffered from debilitating ear pain every time we fly (except once). He does have severe allergies but the funny thing is that the one time he DIDN'T have ear pain was when he flew with a cold! You would think he would have been so much worse.

We use Afrin Nose Spray before take off and landing.

We give him decongestants and Motrin before take off.

We use Ear Planes (ear plugs) every time.

He has done the hold his nose and blow thing.

We supply gum, juice and we have even made him use a sippy cup recently because it takes more effort to suck those so we thought that might help.

He loves using electronics while we fly but he will get to the point where the pain is so severe that he closes up his Nintendo DS five minutes earlier than necessary because he is in tremendous pain. 10 year old boys don't give up their electronics that easily!

His pain is only on landing. He rarely has pain on take off. The pain lasts for 24 hours almost every time. He is miserable. Most of the time it leads to a migraine and he has vomiting.

Trust me when I say this is not "normal" ear congestion that everyone experiences while flying. It isn't cleared by yawning or drinking.

I am at a loss of what to do. We have cut back considerably on vacations but we have to go visit family at the end of the summer and I am already dreading it.

My son has never had a single ear infection in his life.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread