It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User
Have terrible Dark Circles under my eye's.........

Hey guys....

Well as the title suggests, I have terrible Dark Circles under my eye's. I mean absolutely shocking, they are like two big blue fat veins under my eye's and it looks like they are bruised or I have been in a fight, they are really bad.

I went to the doctor about them, and he said one of the common causes is Nasal Congestion. He also said allergies can cause them. Well, I do have allergies and I do always have lots of mucus in my nose and I have terrible Post Nasal Drip EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life. I get watery eyes from time to time each day, and sneeze a few times each day but overall the allergies are not too bad, but definitely are evident each and everyday.

So anyway, the doctor suggested I get a CT scan on my head, which I did. The results came back showing some mucus in my sinuses and I was diagnosed with Allergic Rhitinis. But also on the CT scan, it was found that I had a Deviated Septum.

So my ENT doctor said that if I fix the Deviated Septum, I can fix the Nasal Congestion and Post Nasal Drip which then SHOULD get rid of the Dark Circles under my eye's. I also think the reason the allergy nose sprays I have are not working, is because I have a deviated septum and the Nasonex nose spray cannot get where it needs to go because my nose is not straight.

So my question is, if I have Deviated Septum surgery (Septoplasty), will that get rid of or at least improve the Dark Circles under my eye's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Have terrible Dark Circles under my eye's.........

Based on what I've read and experienced firsthand, I don't think the surgery will get rid of the dark circles. They're commonly referred to as "allergic shiners" or "allergic facies" and (based on what I've read) are more tied to the congestion from allergies.

The theory is that the swelling from congestion associated with allergies keeps some of the normal blood in veins and capillaries around the nose and sinuses from circulating correctly and small amounts of blood build up and cause the dark circles under the eyes (where the sinuses and blood vessels are very close to the surface).

Getting the deviated septum fixed might help with the congestion on the side that is affected by the deviation but it seems that getting the allergic congestion under control would be a better approach to dealing with the dark circles (and the deviated septum surgery won't really help solve your allergy problems).

Hopefully some other folks who had deviated septum surgery can weigh in to share whether their surgery fixed this problem but I can tell you that my endoscopic sinus surgery did not.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Thanks for the reply!

Well, see, the doctors have said there is only one way to treat my allergies, and that is by using Nasonex. But the problem is, the Nasonex does not work because of my deviated septum. Because the nose is not straight, the nasal spray does not reach the part of the nose that it should to stop my allergies.

So the theory I have is. That if I fix my Deviated Septum it will allow me to use the Nasonex which will reduce my allergies thus reducing the Dark Circles under the eye.

Also, I cannot breathe out of my nose ever. It is always blocked, in particular, my left nostril is always blocked. There is definitely a problem with my nose, and regardless of whether or not it get rid of my Dark Circles I think I will need it anyway.

But it makes sense that the Nasonex does not work because of my Deviated Septum yeah?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The one thing that doesn't quite make sense if the Nasonex comment. There is no "one place" that Nasonex needs to reach to help treat your allergies because Nasonex is an anti-inflammatory spray that helps reduce the swelling in your nasal/sinus tissues.

So yes, fixing the deviated septum will help more of the Nasonex reach the swollen tissues and allow it to work more effectively, but it won't solve your allergy problems by itself.

Do you take antihistamines and other medications to help manage your allergies?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Well here is what I do not get. The doctor says my Dark Circles are caused my Nasal Congestion. My Nasal Congestion is caused by a Deviated Septum. So if I fix the Deviated Septum, won't that fix the Nasal Congestion which will then fix the Dark Circles?

I just really want to do anything to get rid of these Dark Circles.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Oh and yes, I have taken lots of allergy medications to help manage it, none of them really work.

Last edited by PsWii60; 06-23-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Based on the information you've provided, you're really dealing with two different things: allergies and a deviated septum.

A deviated septum typically causes congestion on one side of your nose (the septum is deviated toward one side or the other limiting the airflow on that side) unless you've broken your nose or had some other kind of physical trauma that severely altered the cartilage in your nose. Fixing the deviated septum should make it easier to breathe through your nose because both sides will be open and air will flow more evenly through your nose.

Fixing the deviated septum should help with the congestion and may also help with the post-nasal drip, but it won't help with the allergies (which are usually the cause of the allergic shiners).

You may also find that fixing the deviated septum changes your allergy symptoms and makes them more manageable, but there's just no way to know until after the surgery. As I mentioned, I've had to deal with chronic sinus problems and allergies and the surgery to fix the sinus problems didn't help with the allergies (or the allergic shiners) it just made them a little easier to manage.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Well my hope is that fixing my Deviated Septum will make it easier to treat my allergies. My doctor has said that the ONLY affective treatment right now on the market for allergies is Nasonex, and thats it.

So my hope is that if I fix the Deviated Septum, it will allow the Nasonex to work much more effectively and treat my allergies which should at least reduce the allergic shiners under my eyes.

But then again, I guess there is no 100% certainty that the Dark Circles under my eyes are even caused by allergies, it could be something else but who knows.

It seems that allergies and the deviated septum are related though.

Last edited by PsWii60; 06-24-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Closed Thread