It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

peter** HB User
Mucinex

A lot of people on this board rave about MUCINEX D,DM,when treating their problems.I have post nasal drip which in turn causes me to cough to point of gagging,which can give me chest infections.About once every 6 weeks I'm put on a course of steroids and antibiotics to treat this,however,because I live in the UK I cannot get hold of any mucinex(except through ebay which cost me around £22 for 60 tabs).My question/s is this
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MUCINEX,MUCINEX D & MUCINEX DM AND WHICH WOULD SUIT ME BETTER?
IS THERE A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE HERE IN THE UK?
CAN IT BE TAKEN LONG TERM?
THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: Mucinex

I think that just reading the package will tell you what you want to know.
However, Mucinex DM is for cough and congestion I think.
However, i had a horrible cough and tried it and it did not work for me.

What finally helped me was 4 weeks of antibiotics for a severe sinus infect.
If you take Mucinex for a cough from drainage, bear in mind that you are not addressing the real problem. Your sinuses. Get that cleared up and you will probably stop the cough.

good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
(male)

vince77 HB User

Mucinex D is quite simply an expectorant and decongestant in one pill. Its nice and convenient as its a single pill and the DM you can take just once a day. As they aren't available in the UK you can just go to Boots and get a decongestant containing pseudoepherine take 3-4 times a day and an expectorant containing gauifenisen such as Robitussen drink 3-4 times a day (unfortunately doesn't taste very nice but you'll get used to it). Both are behind the counter and prescription free.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

MUCINEX is the expectorant/Guaifenesin..helps thin the mucous so you can get it up and out
MUCINEX D is the expectorant plus a decongestant Guaifenesin/Pseudoephedrine
MUCINEX DM is the expectorant plus a cough suppressant
Guaifenesin/Dextromethorphan

not sure.... do you have Robitussin liquigels? The cough/cold one has

Active Ingredients (in each Liqui-Gel)
Dextromethorphan HBr, 10 mg ... Cough suppressant
Guaifenesin, 200 mg ... Expectorant
Pseudoephedrine HCI, 30 mg ... Nasal decongestant

But if you don't need the other ingredients it is a waste..but it is 200mg of guafenesin instead of 100mg per/teaspoon and the taste of the syrup

If it were me and i couldn't find the mucionex, i'd do what Vince suggests and get the sudafed and plain robitussin syrup. I know using the neti pot has really helped me with the glob of phlegm feeling in my throat.

hope you feel better

Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
(male)

peter** HB User

Thankyou all.Been to doctors and she suggested sudafed decongestant.I've also seen some sudafed syrup which I will try also if this doesn't work.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

karate_mom HB User

The sudafed has had crazy side affects on my daughter. I like the mucinex that sprays up the nose. It's only a few bucks here in th US . Let me know if you need it. I can always mail it to you. It's right here at the local drug store. I also use the Nasal Irrigation System. It's dirt cheap, and it comes with a bottle and all the little packets.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
(male)

peter** HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate_mom View Post
The sudafed has had crazy side affects on my daughter. I like the mucinex that sprays up the nose. It's only a few bucks here in th US . Let me know if you need it. I can always mail it to you. It's right here at the local drug store. I also use the Nasal Irrigation System. It's dirt cheap, and it comes with a bottle and all the little packets.
Thanks for the reply.I will let you know if I need any.

Closed Thread