It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

girlie77 HB User
can anyone shed some light?

HI, I really dont know if I believe my doctor any more! He tells me my problems are post nasal drip,sinus trouble and stress. What do you guys think?
constant feeling of mucus in throat that wont come up
sometimes bad taste
pressure in cheek bones at times
tight feeling in throat at times
neck pain at times
discomfort between shoulder blades
sometimes throat feels dry
needing to clear throat quite often

This has been going on now for 7months beginning in dec totally out of the blue and hasnt gone away since.Could this really be what my doctor says "he thinks it is"? Oh and i dont know if it is important but i am also wear a bite guard due to teeth grinding. Sorry its so long lol thanks for reading and hopefully someone while give me some fed back.
thanks girlie

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

zimagirl79 HB User
Re: can anyone shed some light?

The mucus in your throat, bad taste, needing to clear throat constantly - all are signs of post nasal drip. You may never have suffered with it and suddenly do, and it's hard to get rid of. Pressure in your cheek bones is usually sinus pressure. If you grind your teeth, the neck pain and shoulder discomfort could be a result. You may be tensing up and don't even realise it, which will cause pain in your neck and shoulders. Your doctor's diagnosis sounds pretty correct.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

girlie77 HB User

hi Zimagirl 79 and thanks soooo much for your reply.lol. I really do get scared with all this! My throat feels so weird right now, if it was just the mucus resting there wouldnt be so bad but sometimes it feels weird everywhere in my throat and mouth even tongue. At the beginning the doctor told me it was a simple case of thrush and then came the repeated head colds.Any ideas how to stop this or how long it can take? Sorry to be a pain.
girlie

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Girlie77-

What you describe sounds more like the symptoms of acid reflux or GERD (post-nasal drip by itself isn't really a medical condition as much as it is a symptom of other conditions like acid reflux, allergies, etc). There are a variety of common symptoms of acid reflux, and you mention nearly all of them:

* Burning sensation in the middle of the chest
* Sour taste in your mouth.
* Difficulty swallowing
* Hoarseness, sore throat or persistent throat clearing
* Regurgitation of sour-tasting liquid
* Feeling of tightness in the throat, as if a piece of food is stuck there
* Post-nasal drip

For some people acid reflux can also cause sinus inflammation and even asthma-like symptoms.

It's fairly common for doctors to miss the initial diagnosis if you don't specifically complain of heartburn, but some people have acid reflux without ever having any specific heartburn symptoms.

You can treat acid reflux fairly easily now that Prilosec is available without a prescription (and you can get it at most grocery and drug stores). I'd recommend that you try taking PrilosecOTC every morning for 2 weeks to see if your symptoms improve - if they do you may want to talk to your doctor about whether you should stay on the Prilosec for a longer period of time.

Hope that information is helpful.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
(female)

zimagirl79 HB User

Other than taking antihistamines to try to dry it up some, I don't know what to tell you. You could also try a saline spray - I use one called Simply Saline - that you spray and inhale through the nostrils and let it run down your throat. Sounds disgusting, I know, and it doesn't taste real nice either (yes, you do taste it a little) but it will help break up some of the mucus in your throat. It is just what the name says, a saline spray with no medicine in it. Mine usually gets bad in winter when I'm inside more, and in the spring when there is a lot of pollen in the air. My throat gets so clogged up I feel like all I do is try to clear it out all day. It's irritating to me and to those around me! I've never had allergies in my life until the last few years, now I suffer with hayfever as soon as the pollen starts flying.

Last edited by zimagirl79; 06-26-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

girlie77 HB User

Thanks i am taking an antihisamine daily and a steriod nasal spray which was recommended by my doctor it helps a little I feel its more in control than when it first began. I found it very strange that it began in dec but what you said about being indoors more makes since, funny too that when I am having a real bad day with this going out for a stroll seems to help if even only for a short time! Also when the sun is shinning it doesnt seem so bad, unfortunatly we dont get much sunshin. lol and thank you so much for your fedback and understanding,-most people dont realise how uncomfortable this can be. One last question do you feel the drip ?I dont.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
(female)

girlie77 HB User

gcsmithyr, In the uk we can not buy that med but we can get zantac.My doctor did at one time feel some inflammation in my tummy and give me some nexium for 3 months but i didnt notice much differance and ent told me to stop taking them. I only could see ent once and he used mirrors to look at my throat but said it was fine although i had a little irration down in could this be a sign?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
(female)

zimagirl79 HB User

No, I don't actually feel the drip, just the collection of mucus sitting there. (yuck!) Mine's active year round, off and on. Right now I have just the tiniest bit that i can feel, but the weather is a big contributor too. I wish there was a magic pill that would make it just go away altogether!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
(female)

girlie77 HB User

I right with you there! I get really fed up and think if only i could get it up that would help but then again more will only replace it!! Sometimes I can almost feel it push its way up to a certain point and then nothing it just goes right back to where it was! My youngest daughter is 3 and she has started to copy my trying to continually clear my throat (cute and disturbing). Do you ever manage to get rid of any?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Unfortunately, Zantac is not very effective at treating acid reflux if your symptoms are at all severe. The ENT's comments are weird because the irritation in your throat is exactly what acid reflux causes (it's also the cause of the mucus and throat clearing because your body reacts to the irritation from the acid by producing more mucus to protect the irritated area).

I was under the impression that Zanprol (which is the same as Prilosec) was available without a prescription in the U.K. so you might check that out.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
(female)

girlie77 HB User

gcsmithjr, I will look into that thank you. As for ent when he said this he thought I was a non smoker not because i lied but because and from what he said he didnt think I was. However when I told him I was he simply asked me if I thought I had reflux when I said I didnt know he said stop all meds and that the irriatation he saw was probably due to the fact that I smoked. Do you think if I said I didnt smoke he would have thought reflux? I cant goe back to ent as I had to pay to be seen as the waiting is so long here, I was only with him 15-20mins and that cost me enough!lol and thanks for your advice
girlie

Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Some of the symptoms you describe could definitely be from the smoking so his advice wasn't necessarily off the mark. You could try to treat the acid reflux but if smoking is the cause of your symptoms it won't help much - you may have to deal with the smoking next.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #13
(female)

girlie77 HB User

gcsmithjr, thanks for the reply I already am taking steps to quit the smoking,although my doctor says he doesnt think that this is the cause. I want to quit for the long term health benifits and before its too late to reep the benefits. I just really wish I knew what to treat in order to feel better. thanks
girlie

Closed Thread