It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Nasal septum surgery and somnoplasty

Hi everyone,

I'm having my deviated nasal septum straightened along with turbinate reduction and somnoplasty of my soft palate done on July 28. I'm rather nervous as I have claustrophobia and I'm not sure how I'm going to tolerate the nasal packing, especially if I also have swelling from the somnoplasty. I'm afraid I'll freak out, rip the packing out and mess everything up!

Can anyone share your experiences with me? Should I stock up on Valium before my surgery and just knock myself out for a week or so? HELP! (And thanks!)

Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

leeann123456 HB User
Re: Nasal septum surgery and somnoplasty

Well i had my deviated septum fixed almost a year ago!
And trust me, i was NERVOUS, between being my first surgery and nerves i was a MESS!
But its like just having a realllyy bad stuffed up nose! It just felt like something was up my nose and i just EVER so badly wanted to take it out at first then after a day or two i got used to that feeling once i started rinsing my nose i found it helped out alot! Cause i was the same way, i was scared i was going to want to rip the stuff out and was just SCARED to do anything wrong to screw up what they JUST fixed for me! But i started to realize you cant really do that so much unless you go around banging your face off things!
so your safe!
My surgeon had me on T3's after surgeon i found that it was BEST to keep up with them forsure! I had ZERO pain right after surgery but once i had to get up to go home my head started to KILL. That to me was worse than having the stents in my nose, the headache killed me!
But by time the stents came out my head started to feel better it took me a good 3 weeks to be able to get back to my NORMAL self.
I had swelling in my checks and nose area! Not so much bruising you couldn't tell unless you looked at my nose on an angle!
Stents came out within maybe a week and a half or so!
Once you get past the first week or few days things start to look up! the best part of all is when you have packing/stents you you'll see a huge difference!

GOOD LUCK i only had the septoplasty so Im hoping that sheds a little light for you
you'll do fine, and if your giving a rinse for your nose do it more than the suggest i deffinetly found that got the gunk out faster which helped me out alot !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User
Re: Nasal septum surgery and somnoplasty

Thanks leeann123456.

It helps so much to hear other people's experiences. My husband had the septoplasty and he was telling me that at one point, he almost panicked from having the stints in and not being able to breathe through his nose.

I think I'll keep some Xanex on hand, just in case.

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 07-05-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Closed Thread