It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

salbal77 HB User
Question Am I catching tonsillitis from my new man?

I recently started seeing a guy, we live a fair distance away from each other and have seen each other only 3 times - once a month basically - because we've both been so busy.

I first spent a weekend with him at the beginning of May. By the Tuesday after the weekend I had a fever and had to go the doctor - I was told I had viral tonsillitis, and I was ill for nearly 10 days - I found it much more difficult to get over than "normal" bacterial tonsillitis which I have had on-and-off for years.

I met the guy again at the start of June just for one day and was fine after it. Then we spent the whole of last weekend together and again by Tuesday my throat was extremely sore and I had a fever - I was told again by the doctor that it was viral tonsillitis and I'm still suffering with it now.

Is it possible thyat I'm catching this from my new man?
Would the symptoms come on so quickly?
Is it definitely tonsillitis?
He doesn't have any symptoms and hasn't been ill this year

Any information anyone can give regarding this would be of great help - I can't remember feeling as ill as I have this last week - I don't want to put myself through this again!

Thanks in advance, Sally

Last edited by salbal77; 07-12-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: a bit waffly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

Oglegen HB User
Re: Am I catching tonsillitis from my new man?

Hi Sally,

I had a really similar thing with my first boyfriend. There's no medical explanation for the fact that when you kiss some people you feel ill after, or your saliva just doesn't "match" or something, but I certainly think there's something in it. My "allergy" to my boyfriend wore off after a couple of years, but I had a pretty consistent "virus" the whole time! Also consider that some viruses could be the immune system's reaction to fluctuating emotional feelings/anxiety etc... especially in a new relationship.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

jammyslisa HB User
Re: Tonsillitis or allergic to new man??

There are people who are carriers of strep throat. They don't necessarily get it themselves, but they can give it to others. It may be that your date is a carrier of this virus. Although he never shows any signs of it, you are being reinfected every time you see him. You might want to ask him to see a doctor about this.

Lisa

Closed Thread