It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

WCT64 HB User
Poping/crackling/pluged Ears

Popping/crackling And Sometimes Ears Plug. Been To Ent ,says Deviated Septum. Needs Surgery. I Am 44 Years Old, This Started 2 Mounts Ago. Talked To Pharmacist Friend, Never Herd Of This Symptom For Deviated Septum. Help !!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: Poping/crackling/pluged Ears

Consider TMJ as the problem especially before agreeing to any surgery.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
(male)

WCT64 HB User

Thanks for your reply glowing4 , did a little looking at tmj. but i do not really have any pain, headache or any noise when i move my jaw. it is just irritating. When i get busy working,i do not notice it as much or sometimes at all. no problems sleeping either. but still will not rule out tmj. your time and reply is greatly appreciated. thanks, Bill

Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

You are welcome. I am sorry, I really didn't say too much in the post to you. With my TMJ I really don't get too much pain or headaches either. For me it is mostly the feeling of ears being clogged and ringing in the ears. What I have begun to figure out is that the facial muscles go into spasms which interferes with the functioning of the eustatian tube in the ear. I have sinus issues as well, so the ear clogs up and does not drain properly. I also have a deviated septum, but the ENT said not to worry about - really not worth surgery and I would strongly urge you to get a second opinion before doing that.

Try this. Tilt your head to one side (ear over shoulder), hold for a few seconds breathing calmly and then come back up. Repeat on the other side. Repeat whole series about five or six times. Then, look to the right and hold and come back to center. Repeat looking to the left. Repeat five or six times. Then raise arms over head and gently roll to the floor letting arms hang loosely with eyes looking at knees. Repeat several times.

Try these simple exercises. Don't strain, all should be done gently. See if you feel things begin to open up. They do help with the draining. You can do them several or more times a day. Also try warm compresses on the ear and face. Might also look into getting a Netti Pot - look those up online. Many doctors recommend them now. They are cheap and easy to use.

Good luck to you, but do explore alternatives before going through surgery.

glowing4

Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
(male)

WCT64 HB User

Thanks for the detailed reply, will give everything a try,and see what that will do for me. I will try anything before any kind of surgery. Bill

Closed Thread