It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
(male)

casey91 HB User
vibrating in my right ear

hey guys,

this is my first post on the forums, ive had vibrating in my right ear for about a month now. Ive done some reading on the forums here and havn't come to a conclusion, ive seen things like insects in ear that causes vibrations, as well some one mentioning stress which i clicked on because i went away on the holidays which was fun and totally stress free and i actually completely forgot about the vibrating in my ear because it was never there.

getting to the point, up untill a couple of days ago it was manageable, and only noticeable at night, and as annoying as it was i could cope, but now ive got it all day, most of the sound i hear through my daily activities like school and music block it out.

i noticed when i was doing a test on monday this week that my ear was vibrating rather heavily and it was driving me absolutely insane, im sure i failed the test purely because of that.

sleeping is a problem, quite areas are a problem, my sanity is at stake here - ive got an appointment tomorow with a GP but after reading some of these posts it seems unlikely that they will be able to diagnose it if its not an ear infection which im praying it is.

my dad has deafness, the more common type, i can't remember what it is, but it's where theres calcium build up on the drum, he said he had a slight swooshing or vibrating in his ear when he was my age, but he said it wasn't that bad, maybe it's just me being really worried and noticing it way too much, but it doesn't sound entirely the same.

anyone got any ideas of how to STOP the vibrating so i can get to sleep without going crazy!?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

madvette HB User
Re: vibrating in my right ear

I have the same thing. It's much worse at night. I noticed, though, if I put my hand over my ear for a little while, then take it off, the noise is gone. But it usually comes back after a while. I went to see 2 different ENT doctors and one of them told me it was a spasm and that it would go away on its own. The other said it was Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ). I did a little research on TMJ and found that having TMJ can cause this ear spasm. It's from clenching or grinding your teeth. So for the past couple of days I've made a conscious attempt to stop clenching my teeth. (I do clench my teeth alot.) You may grind or clench your teeth in your sleep and not know it. So your problem could be just that, TMJ. Do some research - g@@gle it. I've been spasm free for about 4 days now. Hopefully it won't come back. Hope this helps, you should go see an Ear, Nose, & Throat doctor. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there!

Last edited by madvette; 08-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

alfalfa820 HB User
Re: vibrating in my right ear

I find my ears bug me the most at night too, especially when I'm hearing 3 or 4 things at once ie: tv, washer,dishwasher...It just about drives the ear insane...I have found laying on the side that the ear bugs you the most with your hand on it until your almost asleep helps...Or, some nights I'll have a heating pad on my ear/face helping with the swelling and pain.

Closed Thread