It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

terry6283 HB User
Question Tongue tonsils

I am 42 years old and recently had my tonsils removed (less than 6 wks ago). My ENT did a different procedure because the tonsils that were bad were the ones on the base of my tongue. I have acid reflux and it had permenantly enlarged those tonsils to the point of cutting my windpipe off. He said that he hasn't done enough of these surgeries to tell me what to expect. Has anyone else had this type of tonsil removal? I also had my regular tonsils out.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
(male)

patseguin HB User
Re: Tongue tonsils

Yes, I had a lingual tonsillectomy in September '08. My situation was identical to yours. Trouble breathing and a MRI revealed that my windpipe was almost closing up. I saw 3 ENT doctors, the first of which wanted to do surgery and warned me of a possible traecheotomy. The 2nd seemed more cautious and sent me for a swallow study and sleep study. The swallow study came back I have reflux and the sleep study came back I have moderate sleep apnea. I saw a 3rd doctor who seemed to think surgery might be the way to go but "it wasn't his favorite surgery". I'm still not sure why I picked that doctor. On the morning of the surgery when I was on the operating table, he came in and said "you sure you want to go through with this?". Anyways, the surgery went OK and the only real pain I had was under my tongue, probably from the clamp. The night after the surgery, I had wheezing in my chest, almost like I had bronchitis. It was VERY difficult not to cough. Anyways, almost a year later I still feel I have difficulty breathing and my sleep is not very good. I am not even convinced the ENT surgeon did anything with my lingual tonsils. My throat feels very tight and I always feel like I have post nasal drip or phlegm in my throat at the end of my sinus cavity. My whole jaw and chin area also don't feel right, almost like my chin is recessing. I even feel like I am biting the insides of my cheeks sometimes. I'm not sure if all of this has to do with my doctor not being good at this procedure or what. I am going to go back to the 2nd doctor I saw and see what he has to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

terry6283 HB User
Re: Tongue tonsils

Thank you for your story. You are the only other person I have heard of that has had this surgery. My ENT told me a few weeks ago that he didn't shave enough of the tonsil off during the first surgery (he wanted to be conservative because this is a dangerous surgery for bleeding) and now I have to go back and have it done again in December. This time he discussed what is called a "Tongue Reduction" surgery. But I still have the tight feeling in my throat and post nasal drip to the point of having to spit it out. My ENT said that only a few doctors have the ability to even do this surgery and lucky he was one that had some experience with it and actually had the equipment to do it. He is the only ENT in the region that can do it. But my taste is gone. Everything taste horrible and I'm always thirsty. Will this last forever or does it go away?

Closed Thread