It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

george46 HB User
Adult Tonsillectomy in Seattle - Male Age 46

Day: operation-4

Hi Everyone:

My name is George and I am going to have my tonsils out on Monday 11 Aug 2008 in Seattle.

My doctor is William Portuese and he performs the newer laser removal procedure vs. the older scalpel one.

Based on everything that I have read on this board, I think I am ready. I have my medication (Liquid Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen) and a good supply of Gatorade and popsicles and apple sauce. I will be picking up the juicy fruit gum and jello + ensure drink over the weekend. After that, I think all I have to do is show up on Monday.

If you read the Tonsillectomy threads on this site it is enough to scare you out of doing this procedure. But almost everyone who posts says they are happy they did it. (after about a month post -OP) I am hoping they are right.

I have had recurring Strep infections for almost 15 years. It seems to hit me bad every year or so to the point that I cannot swallow at night. When it does hit it seems to last bad for about 2 days then be miserable for about a week. I have been toughing it out all this time and after the last bought of this I finally made up my mind to get it over with. This decision took about a year. I recorded my throat/sinus issues on a paper w/ dates and severity. 1 year later I realized that almost every month or 2 I have a med/mild occurrence in addition to the really bad one every year or 2. This is what finally made up my mind.

I will try to keep a daily record of my experience. I hope it helps someone who is considering this.

Stay tuned.
George....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
(male)

george46 HB User
Re: Adult Tonsillectomy in Seattle - Male Age 46

Day: operation-1

Hi Everyone:

Well I got my final supplies ready and now all I have to do is show up at 8am tomorrow. I am a little nervous, but so far so good.

Tonight I am going to treat myself to a good meal (Steak) as I suspect it will be the last decent meal for a while. No drinking or eating after midnight according to the doctor. I think I will stop around 9pm just to make sure my system is clear by 8am.

My wife thought she would be funny and asked me if they were going to use a catheter during the procedure (Ouch). Now I do not think so, but funny as it seems I am obsessing on this rather than the procedure.

I am going to spend the day with my kids (Girl 4, Boy 2) and go to the park. Itís hard to tell them that Dad is going to be a grump for a week or so starting tomorrow. I hope today builds up some credits with them so they forgive me later in the week.

My next post might be tomorrow or the day after.

Stay tuned.
George....

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
(male)

george46 HB User

Day: Post-op Day 1

Pain Scale: 3/10 , Ears are starting to hurt.

Hi Everyone:

Well I did it. 8 am this morning. It is now 8pm here in Seattle and I feel surprisingly good. (Good Drugs) The doc said things went well and the Oblation method should help to minimize the pain.

I know that day 2,3,4 are going to be worse than now, but I am off to a good start.

Drinking Ice cold Ensure before the drugs has been a good idea. No nausea yet. I am taking everyoneís advice and I am sipping iced Gatorade frequently.

Here's how it went:

8am: Show up

8:30: Meet doc and Nurse and Anesthesiologist

8:45: IV and a little gas. (No not that type)

8:46 Night Night time.

9:30: Nurse sets me up and I instantly wake up. Throat is tight but ok.

10:00: Wheeled to car and my wife drives me home.

11:00 Good drugs. In and out of sleep for next few hours. Lots of Ice cold Gatorade sipped.

3:00: More drugs. (See Ensure comment above)

5:00 Wife gets kids from day care. Kids surprisingly calm and nice. (Yea)

7:00: wife gets kids to sleep.

8:00 pm: Colin(age 2) sneaks down stairs and is playing next to me as I write this.

Stay tuned.
George....

Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

George, Glad things went well with the surgery. I will be reading your posts. I am having my tonsils out October 24 also with the cobalation method. Im just looking forward to not having throat/tonsils problems anymore. Have to say after reading all the posts here I almost dont want to have it done. So many horror stories but I know everyone heals differently. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
(male)

george46 HB User

Day: Post-op Day 2

Pain Scale: 3/10 , Ears hurt some. (left)

Hi Everyone:

So I lasted the night. It was not very bad. I drank my iced Gatorade frequently and I kept an Ice pack on my neck most of yesterday and today. Swallowing hurts a lot but is a necessary evil to get things back in working order.

Sleeping upright in a recliner chair is not so bad. I have the humidifier running nonstop and a good view onto the street in front of my house. Itís not often you can watch the sun go up and down and watch people all day long. (Now I know what it is like to be retired)

The pain has been manageable and based on previous strep attacks I would even rate this as less painful as there is less tissue to freak out. I think I have been lucky so far.

The major downside to this so far is the swallowing thing. Keep your neck Iced and keep drinking. A dry throat is miserable. The other major thing is the thick flem in my mouth. I am constantly washing my mouth with cool water. Hacking up Picasso's hurts. I went to the dentist the week before the surgery. I started with clean teeth and boy am I glad I did that. I can't imagine what it would be like otherwise.

Well it is now 8pm here. Time to settle into a movie and maybe a little Xbox with my friend Jack. I will post again tomorrow.

PS: tdooders1, thank you for the words of encouragement. Feel free to write anytime. I like talking with the people on this board.

Stay tuned.
George....

Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

Glad you are doing well so far George. What are you icing your neck with? I want to be really prepared for my recovery. I still have a couple of months before my surgery but Ive been reading everyones experiences and what they suggest will help with the recovery. I read some boards here about the bleeding. Thats the part Im most scared of but I think if I stay hydrated I wont have that problem. Keep us posted. Thinking of you.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
(male)

george46 HB User

Day: Post-op Day 3

Pain Scale: 5/10 , Ears hurt (left and a little right)

Hi Everyone:

Well per what everyone says will happen is, pain is increasing some. It is still bearable (With good drugs + Icing of the neck) I still think I have had worse Strep infections vs this.

I am mainly sitting in my Lazy-boy chair and surfing the web or sleeping. I just logged onto Ancestry.com and now I have a good excuse to get all the information entered.

I can tell things are healing, and I sure look forward to the day that I can swallow and not grimace. The Flem situation has not changed and I find myself hacking into a towel constantly. (Makes for great company) Make sure you have a limitless supply of these.

The ensure drink I am using keeps my energy up (I like the vanilla) and it makes it much easier to drink the medicine. (Burns as it goes down if you do not cut it with something) The only down side to the ensure is flem thing. After drinking it I have to wash my mouth out with H2O again. (Its still worth it) I tried chicken broth, but was not impressed. I will stick with the ensure for now. On the Plus side of things I have lost 8 lbs.

PS: tdooders1, You can buy freeze packs at any local drug store. pick up at least 3 or 4 as they only last about 1/2 hr. I have a large cooler one and it lasted me for a few hours last night. Just wrap in a towel. You can pick up the big ones where they sell coolers.

Stay tuned.
George....

Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

George have been eating anything besides liquids? Have you tried eggs or cottage cheese? Thanks for the info on the ice packs. I will be sure to get them. Are you sleeping in the recliner? I heard it would be easier the first few nights to sleep in a chair.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
(female)

gnicsan HB User
Wink Re: Adult Tonsillectomy in Seattle - Male Age 46

Hi George I had my tonsils out on Aug 11th too. Today is our day 4! Pain has def. gotten worse but with medicine its tolerable. I've been eating things such as Farina (THE BEST...goes right down), Ensure, eggs, jello, sherbert, and am drinking lots of gatorade and ice water.

I've been icing my neck with bags of frozen peas and corn! LOL
I bought a bunch of ice collars but they don't lay around my neck as comfortably. I've also been using a heating pad because the back of my neck and lower back are in PAIN due to the way I've been sleeping and laying since Monday.

I have mitral valve prolapse so I had to stop taking Lortab and Tylenol with Codeine. Now I'm just on Extra Strength Liquid Tylenol which workds pretty well with less side effects. Hopefully it continues, otherwise my doc gave me Darvocet PILLS. ANyone ever taken these?

All in all I am in pain but I hope it will get better soon. This surgery def. puts a lot of anguish on one's body and you have to be strong and just get through it.
Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
(male)

george46 HB User

Day: Post-op Day 4

Pain Scale: 6/10(Night) down to a 3/10 , Ears still hurt some

Hi Everyone:

Last night was the worst so far. I had sweats all night and I could tell when I was due for more meds as the throat was on fire. When I woke up at about 8 am I felt fine. I guess my system needed to kill some bug or something. As long as I take my meds every 4 hours I am fine now.

I think I am in the false middle ground of this procedure. Things will look ok till the scabs in the throat start falling off, then we will be back to bad days again. Till then, I think I am going to try eating a solid.

Today I tried apple sauce. It was ok. Tonight I am going to try 3 or 4 noodles of Mac and Cheese. Letís see how that goes. My wife is making hamburgers tonight and the smell is exquisite. I canít wait to get back to real food.

I learned a good lesson Last night, If you have an electric toothbrush, do not use it. (Ouch) Go for the old fashion type till this is all over. Swelling of the tongue was not fun. You donít realize this till it is too late.

PS: tdooders1: Gnicsan had a great idea. Use frozen Peas or corn. This will feel better on a throat. Just remember to re-freeze before it turns to mush.

PS: Gnicsan: Congratulations. I think you are doing better that I am. I have not tried any solids yet. I hope to tonight. I have been sleeping in a lazy boy recliner and my back is OK, but I do miss lying flat. I think I am at least a week away from trying that. Keep in touch. Letís see who the first one is to eat a hamburger.

Stay tuned.
George....

Report Bad Post

Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

George thanks for the heads up on the electric toothbrush. I love mine but will use a regular one when I have the surgery.

Great idea on the frozen vegies. Ill stock up on those.

Keep us posted.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #12
(female)

gnicsan HB User

Hey everyone. Its 4:53 a.m. Of course I cant sleep. I'm getting a yuk feeling in my stomach like I have a virus or something. I haven't "gone to the bathroom" since before my surgery so it must be that. I have been getting bad headaches for two days. Has anyone else had these?
Its the beginning of Day 5 for me and George! Wow, I hope we're almost there. The Tylenol has not been lasting very long for me, I'm taking it every 4 hours but by hour 2 1.2 I'm ready for more.
Not sure whats going on with the scabs yet. They don't feel any different.
Keep in touch.
Gina

Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
(female)

vickiatwork HB User

I'm 54 and in Seattle. Had the surgery 3 weeks ago although I almost backed out after checking out this site. I decided to just take some of the good advice and be satisfied with that.
The surgery was a breeze thanks to excellent drugs. Actually, the first night was good too since the excellent drugs didn't wear off right away.
Days 2, 3, and 4 were not fun. My doc gave me Percoset (1-2 every 4 hours). I did some quick math in my head and decided that taking 1 pill every 2 hours was the same. It really helped me stay ahead of the pain. Best part was I stayed stupid all the time so got plenty of sleep. I was also given a great anti-nausea pill that dissolved on my tongue which I did end up needing a few times. By day 3, I remembered what Percoset does to a girl's constitution and sent a friend to the store for a laxative. Whew.
I didn't even try to eat BUT, I did take the hydration part very seriously. Cranberry juice and flat Diet 7-up were the best. I also chewed gum (yes, that was hard) and almost always had a sugarless throat lozenge going to keep me salivating and swallowing.
Didn't even think of trying anything like ice cream or pudding cause dairy really does make phlegm in your throat and I can't even stand the thought. When I was ready for some food, egg-drop soup from our local Chinese Restaurant was the best. It slid right down and tasted sooo good.
Well, long story short, I had arranged to take 2-3 weeks off from work for this but I GOT BURNED!!! Felt completely better by day 8 and went back to work. Throat was and is still dry in the morning but that's it. I feel great. Except the part about not getting to stay home for 3 weeks.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
(male)

george46 HB User

Day: Post-op Day 5

Pain Scale: 7/10(Night) down to a 3/10 (Day),

Hi Everyone:

Ok, Last night was really the worst. This time I had the shakes and searing pain in the throat. It took all I could do to drink my ensure and take my meds. I was counting the time between pain Med doses as my body would seem to know before I did. I was a basket case in the morning and my wife got a little concerned. It is now 1pm and I feel ok. Night time really sucks.

I am sure that the scabs are falling off now as I can feel this presence on both sides of my throat. I also see a little blood in the saliva. Not enough to get concerned about, but it does make you take notice.

It hurts too much to drink Gatorade or anything too cold now. I have moved to H20 and some vitamin water. Both go down better. On the plus side I stepped on the scale today and I have lost 14 Lbs. It is a side benefit.

Stay tuned.
George....

Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

George you said you have a little blood in your salvia. Nothing to worry about? Thats the part Im most concerned about. Is bleeding. From reading some of the posts here about the bleeding some have had it scares me to death in having the surgery but Im not going to back out of it. I need the surgery. Sick of constantly clearing my throat. Sick of trouble swallowing when I eat. Sick of the snoring when I sleep. Sick of the sore throats. Sick of the tonsil stones. Sick of the low grade fever I constantly have. Keep us posted.

Closed Thread