It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Tonsillitis or Peritonsillar abscess?

A few of weeks ago (I'd say maybe the 8th) I began feeling sick. At first I was feverish, then the next day my tonsils swelled up. I realized I had a fever so I kept taking fever reducers and pain releivers (Ibuprofen and Advil). It didn't really work for very long... only a few hours then it was back. The next night my tonsils swelled up a lot and I noticed white spots of puss. Of course it had to be an infection. Thankfully I managed to find some antibiotics and took them for the next 5 days. About two days into taking the pills my throat went back to normal, no fever, everything was great.
I thought it was over... well, about 5 days later (17th) I woke up in the morning with terrible joint pain in my knees and I felt a little hot, so I measured my temperature to find that I had a fever of over 100. Took some Advil and the fever went down slightly but I felt much better.
The next day I woke up again with slight pain in my right tonsil only. I kept measuring my temperature and it fluctuated verly slightly from 99-100. Yesterday I finally started feeling much better physically, no fever, everything's okay. I thought that my throat will probably be way better by today.

I woke up this morning finding it really hard to swallow, my right tonsil is swollen but no visible puss, and there is some swelling in the right side of my neck when I lift my chin up. My right ear hurts a tiny bit but not nearly as bad as my throat.

I looked up all my symptoms on a medical website and symptoms point to either tonsillitis (which can be caused by any number of things), or even more closely peritonsillar abscess (which I haven't heard of till now). The only thing problem is that if I do have p.a., it isn't so severe that I'm having trouble breathing or my throat is closing up or anything... The treatment appears to be a minor surgery since it involves anesthetics and draining.

Now I'm not sure, this could be totally wrong. So does anyone know what the problem could be?
Could I possibly get tonsillitis twice in less then two weeks, and how? The only reason I can think of is that I forgot to disinfect my thermometer the last time I was sick, and I put it in my mouth again?
I'm hoping I have this because tonsillitis can go away on it's own. Also, I read that drinking warm liquids helps, so I drank some hot tea this morning and that helped a bit. I also tried cold milk and that felt even better and easiler to swallow.

Or could I have peritonsillar abscess and really need to go to a doctor asap? I was thinking about setting an appointment but I'm not sure at this point since I feel fine overall (no other signs of infection) except pain when I swallow and some swelling.

Last edited by EllieFrog; 08-20-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread