It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

IrishSaint HB User
ears feel weird

i went on a whale watch wednesday and i was standing on the front deck of the boat and there was lots of wind and noise, and then i stood on the back of the boat where the engines where and once again it was very loud. now this is 2 days after and my ears still feel weird. not ringing or anything but almost as if they feel like they need to be popped and everything is slightly muffled. is this normal after being exposed to something loud like that? i might go to the doctors tuesday, i would go sooner but its the weekend and monday is labor day. is this worth seeing a doctor about or is it perfectly normal? im kinda worried so somebody please respond soon.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
(male)

IrishSaint HB User
Re: ears feel weird

does anyone have any ideas at all???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

i went to the doctors today and had them remove a huuuuuge wax buildup in my right ear, the nurse said she was surprised i could even hear at all. but my ears still feel weird. almost as if i lost some of my hearing. could years of loud music and those few hours of the loud boat finally be catching up to me???? hearing is regenative right???

Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

could it be just a headcold?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

somebody?????? i went to the doctors and they said he ears are fine. so then why am i having slight hearing loss and a buzzing sound in both of my ears?! this is really starting to scare the hell out of me so if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

this is really freaking me out, what if its a brain tumor or something. why isnt anyone responding...

Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

what should i do??? the doctor said my ear looked fine inside, but then why is my hearing slightly off? and why do i kind of hear a mix between ringing and buzzing in my ears? could this all be caused by some sort of sinus backup or infection?? whatevers causing the problem has to be behind my eardrum if the doctors cant see it. should i be worried???? because i already am and its a very uneasy feeling to have no idea at all whats wrong with you. it just started one day suddenly and i dont know what to do.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Sorry no one has responded and I will do my best to give you a few ideas. It could be that you have some congestion and that is causing the symptoms. I had this in January and it continued for a long time until I tried a few simple things. I, too, was scared and worried and no doctor could really find anything wrong.

First of all, consider TMJ. It could be that you are clenching your teeth or grinding at night. This can cause muscle spasms which can then cause the tube in your ear to not function properly. Don't get all hung up in this, just see if you notice yourself tightening your jaw and teeth. Being that you are worried and upset this could be very possible. Try and relax your face and jaw. Open your mouth slightly and let things relax.

Try taking a few baby aspirin during the day. The dosage is much less, easier on the stomach. Aspirin helps to open blood vessels. If there is congestion then this really helps. Try taking one after breakfast, one after lunch, one after dinner, and two at bedtime. They are sold where the regular aspirin are and people use them for their hearts. Look for Bayer or St. Josephs - many are chewable. This really helped me a lot!

Tilt your head to the right - ear to shoulder and hold, breathing deeply but easily. Return to normal head position. Repeat on the left and then repeat all several times. Next look to the right as far as you can, breathe and hold and return to face right. Repeat on the left and repeat all several times. Raise your arms over head then slowly roll down so that your eyes are looking at your knees. Breathe and hold and then gently roll up. Repeat several times. I know this sounds weird, but these exercises help to open up the tubes in the ears. This helps me a lot too.

You can also apply heat to your ear and face. Put a wet washcloth in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds (test on your hand first) and then put it on your ear. A heating pad works too. Heat also opens up blood vessels and is also comforting.

Try not to worry. I have had, and still get sometimes, the ringing and the buzzing. It really worried me, but it is most probably harmless and will go away. Do the simple things that I mentioned above. Try to relax your thinking about this. The more you worry, the worse it will feel. Relax with it. The doctor did not find anything seriously wrong. It is most probably congestion in the ear which will get better with time and a few simple helps.

Let me know how you are doing.

glowing4

Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you had a lot of wax buildup, that could be causing this. When I had a bunch removed one time the sound was unreal. Lots of noise because I was finally hearing properly. And they felt funny too - not so much painful as sort of odd. It went away with time. I also had to lower my voice! Found I was practically screaming because I couldn't hear myself clearly before. Very strange experience!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

just alittle while ago for no apparent reason my left ear started to feel warm and now it is hot feeling and is slightly red. any ideas if thats related to whatever my other problem is?? are ear problems a sign of a brain tumor? i am a hypocondriac so id like to get that idea out of my head as quickly as possible by ruling it out.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

i went to the doctor and they said its either allergies or some sort of upper respitory infection. they told me to try taking clariton d or allegra d for a few days and see if that helps and if not i also have a prescribtion for some sort of upper respitory medicine. im still just really worried about it. theres absolutly no chance it could be a brain tumor right?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Nope, no chance it is a brain tumor. Trust your doctors and let go of the worry. The worry is making it all worse. You are going to be fine, but you have to let yourself be fine. Relax and let your body heal.

glowing4

Closed Thread