It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(male)

scaredalotz HB User
Unhappy Sudden onset of foreign body feeling in throat/very scary

Hi!
Last night something strange happened. I was watching TV, not eating anyting, just watching TV. And from one second to the other I had a feeling like something was sticking to my throat. Do you know this feeling when you eat bread or something like this and it sticks to your throat and you feel that something's attached to the throat and then you try to flush it down with water? It felt exactly this way! It wasn't a vague feeling where you just feel like you have trouble swalling. I could exactly tell where it was in the throat.
I went to the ER and they looked in the throat and couldn't find anything. It was really strange. I had not eaten anything that day which could have caused this. No fish or something like that. When I came home I went to sleep and the next day I woke up and the same feeling was back! Actually I think I woke up BECAUSE of this feeling. I remember that my throat felt dry and the same foreign body feeling at exactly the same spot in the throat was back and I started freaking out again. I drank a lot of water but it didn't go away.
I thought about what I could do by the doctor I usually go to wasn't there and I didn't want to go to the ER again and so I sat there and after a while the feeling went away. But I just don't know what to think about this. I mean one explanation would be an anxiety attack BUT what speaks against an anxiety attack is that this foreign body feeling came from 1 second to the other without any reason or warning AND it wasn't a vague feeling which you usually get when you are scared. It wasn't a feeling like something is pushing against my throat. It much more felt like a real foreign body. It felt so real that I could have sworn something has to be down there in the throat on the right side above the larynx.

I'm really scared that this stuff could return. This whole thing really freaked me out. It's amazing how quickly something like this can make you feel like dying. I really felt like dying that night when I first got it. I was afraid I couldn't swallow anymore. It was terrible.
This feeling alone can already totally paralyze you and now I'm scared and fear leaving the house. I have never had anything like this before. In the past I had a vague feeling in the chest or also the throat when I had stress but I have never had such a distinct feeling of a foreign body. It really felt as if I had eaten hair and it was stuck in my throat.
Has anyone of you ever had something like this? Could this have been an anxiety attack? But even the doctor said that the sudden onset from 1 second to the other and the distinct foreign body feeling would speak against an anxiety attack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
(female)

girlie77 HB User
Re: Sudden onset of foreign body feeling in throat / what could this be?

yes i know what youre saying the same thing happened to me in dec and i still have thoat symotoms! No one has been able to tell me the problem and im still trying to figure this out. Although my symptoms have changed a lot since then. read my posts.
girlie

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i frequently get the feeling of having a pill or something stuck in my throat. It is usually indigestion or reflux. Since i've started drinking some ginger tea (good for digestion too) it has diminished. The first time i drank it that feeling went away

Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
(male)

scaredalotz HB User

Hi!
I had to go to the ER again because it became so bad. It started again as this foreign body feeling and after a few hours it changed into a general discomfort. My throat was totally dry and I felt as if somebody was pushing directly against it. The discomfort was much lower now. The doc said that the throat is red and it's most likely acid. I really hope that this explains it all. I have to take pills against the acid now. I never considered acid to be the problem because I did not feel anything. I had no symptoms of acid. No heartburn at all, but the doctor said that you can still have acid without heartburn!
It was really frightening. I was sitting in the ER, sipping on my water bottle all the time and I felt like my throat was about to close. It was horrible.
And I didn't even want to go to the ER because I thought it might simply be "psychological". I tell you, I'm SO glad I went because I don't know what would have happened if I had been at home when it became so bad. It was hard to stay cool in the hospital but at least there were doctors all around. At home I would have freaked out completely.
So if you have problems I strongly suggest to go to a doctor and to make sure it's no reflux or anything else which is not "psychological" because especially foreign body feelings in the throat are often labeled as psychological. They can be but don't always have to be.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

psalm46 HB User

In the past year I was diagnosed with acid-reflux which was causing my foreign body feeling in my throat and once that calmed down I still had a simular feeling in my throat that was then diagnosed as due to my anxiety. Now that I take care of my GERD and my anxiety I don't feel like there are funky things going on with my throat.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Sudden onset of foreign body feeling in throat / very scary

My thoughts are this: you can still breath and swallow so you are in no immediate danger. That's a good thing and you should repeat that to yourself when you are having an attack like this. And don't let your mind convince you otherwise because you've already experienced the sensation a few times and you are still just fine!

I absolutely believe that if you are an anxious person already who deals with anxiety/panic that this is very likely a manifestation of it. Possibly related to stress/reflux. I've had similar issues in the past and once my anxiety was more controlled, my "lump in the throat" sensation went away!

It's amazing what our minds can do to us. Try some reflux meds though and see if that helps. I'm betting though, it's just a high level of stress that is manifesting itself.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
(male)

scaredalotz HB User

Hi zekat,

I am on anti acid meds now. But the feeling of not being able to swallow anymore is already enough to make me freak out. I think most people would freak out if they felt like they can't swallow anymore. I was still able to swallow but it really felt like something was in there and even now I still get a strange feeling in the throat. I don't know what this is. It simply feels "strange" in the area around the tongue where the tongue starts in the back of the throat. It feels "scratchy" as if something was scratching there and I can't tell what causes this. It's also easy to get paranoid over this and even if a doc tells you that there is nothing this doesn't really offer much comfort when you still feel it.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

gordon99 HB User

Basic medical question: maybe not related to panic disorder/Anxiety

There is a throat infection that creates a nodule type of thing I was insistant that after mowing grass something went through my throat. I was in fear that they would half to put me under to withdraw it. It was a basic cyst my Dr. explained that needed nothing more than a pennicilic type arrangement. I went days considering the surgery. After seeing the doctor and a week later it went away ...20 years ago i think it was E-mycin and it went away. It was a puss nodule that was not uncommon.
It was enlarged in my throat and no cause was found other than common ground.

Again I think it was E-mycin 20 years ago...let the doctors give you a better proper treatment.....(see them none the less)
Gordy

Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
(male)

markus871 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredalotz View Post
Hi!
Last night something strange happened. I was watching TV, not eating anyting, just watching TV. And from one second to the other I had a feeling like something was sticking to my throat. Do you know this feeling when you eat bread or something like this and it sticks to your throat and you feel that something's attached to the throat and then you try to flush it down with water? It felt exactly this way! It wasn't a vague feeling where you just feel like you have trouble swalling. I could exactly tell where it was in the throat.
I went to the ER and they looked in the throat and couldn't find anything. It was really strange. I had not eaten anything that day which could have caused this. No fish or something like that. When I came home I went to sleep and the next day I woke up and the same feeling was back! Actually I think I woke up BECAUSE of this feeling. I remember that my throat felt dry and the same foreign body feeling at exactly the same spot in the throat was back and I started freaking out again. I drank a lot of water but it didn't go away.
I thought about what I could do by the doctor I usually go to wasn't there and I didn't want to go to the ER again and so I sat there and after a while the feeling went away. But I just don't know what to think about this. I mean one explanation would be an anxiety attack BUT what speaks against an anxiety attack is that this foreign body feeling came from 1 second to the other without any reason or warning AND it wasn't a vague feeling which you usually get when you are scared. It wasn't a feeling like something is pushing against my throat. It much more felt like a real foreign body. It felt so real that I could have sworn something has to be down there in the throat on the right side above the larynx.

I'm really scared that this stuff could return. This whole thing really freaked me out. It's amazing how quickly something like this can make you feel like dying. I really felt like dying that night when I first got it. I was afraid I couldn't swallow anymore. It was terrible.
This feeling alone can already totally paralyze you and now I'm scared and fear leaving the house. I have never had anything like this before. In the past I had a vague feeling in the chest or also the throat when I had stress but I have never had such a distinct feeling of a foreign body. It really felt as if I had eaten hair and it was stuck in my throat.
Has anyone of you ever had something like this? Could this have been an anxiety attack? But even the doctor said that the sudden onset from 1 second to the other and the distinct foreign body feeling would speak against an anxiety attack.
Not sure when the above was posted so sorry if this reply is no longer relevant. (Yes I'm a total newbie to this stuff). Anyway. I work as an engineer in a very high stress job and five months ago I suddenly started having this feeling of something stuck (hairball) in the back of my throat. No pain just a weird (frightening) uncomfortable feeling. It goes away when im asleep - pretty much gone in morning and gets worse at night or when very stressed. For sure it freaks me out after so long and you can bet I trawled the net looking for what is wrong with me [its easy to panic as the feeling is always there and can leave me short of breath]. I went to the docs and he basically referred me for stress councelling - which wothout sounding flippant (been there don that) so dint go. Anyway five months now and no change. It does get better sometimes - exercise, eating, drinking cold drinks (or red wine). The other strange thing I have noticed is the felling alternates from one side of my throat to the other over a period of days??? I agreed with my partner that a lifestyle change is in order and hopefully this makes it go away. The doc wasnt much help - actually made me feel like a fraud...

Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
(male)

bunchakids HB User

No need to worry, It sounds like a Tonsil stone. Get a water pik and get it out before it becomes infected. I had this problem starting back in October of this year where it felt like something was in my throat and it became worse as time went on....Side of my neck started hurting and lymph nodes were swollen. Went to the doc and he just said my throat looks red and put me on antibiotics. When that did not work he put me on a z pack for the swelling. Long story short, I did some research and diagnosed myself. Bought a water pik from wal mart and went to work on the tonsils....Got all kinds of nasty stuff (stinky stones) out of there and the swelling immediately went down and the sensation in the back of my throat is just about gone! Seems the stones can get pretty big and hang down in your throat. My body has been fighting this nasty infection for months now. Feeling LOTS better now since I got that crap out of there.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
(male)

markus871 HB User

Thanks bunchakids - I think worry might be the operative word. I have a great job which really extends me but drives me nuts with worry a lot of the time. I'm an anxious person by nature so guess I got myself into a catch 22. worry about illness symtoms bringing on more symptoms which brings on more worry. My tonsils do look battered and bruised - havent tried cleaning them though so will give it a go. I was on anti biotics for a while but didnt really do much. Aswell as the tonsils I also have dry skin, upset stomach and rather bizzarley loss of hair on my legs (If I was still cycling so much this might be great but just looks weird). As I say I am hanging my worry coat on me being very stressed. I did have a bucket load of tests done at the GP's about seven weeks ago and they came back negative (except being told off for one or too glasses of red wine). Would be good if anyone out there has any thoughts / experience on physical symptoms of stress similar to what I am experiencing?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
(female)

thankgodforthat HB User

Hello, I had to post on this subject because after a year of the same thing, I can finally put this behind me. There's nothing worse than that "something stuck in the throat feeling". Especially if you smoke, my god the first thing that comes to mind is have i given myself cancer.

My problem started with a feeling of a hair in the throat last March. It progressed to a feeling of a lump or swelling isolated to the left hand side. I had a sore throat on and off a feeling of tightness and some nights, It literally felt like my airways were being blocked off by this "growth" if I slept a certain way. I felt the back of my tongue once and it felt to me like it was swollen or inflamed. I looked at all sorts of different diagnosis on the internet and was convinced it was cancer or a pre-cancerous swelling. This was going on for a year and I was so scared and absolutely convinced there was something there.

Here's the crazy bit! I managed to get myself to the ENT yesterday and he had a good look with his camera and said there is absolutely nothing wrong! Even the bit that I wa convinced was inflamed was normal! I was gobsmacked! He said it's quite a common feeling to have in your throat and his exact words to me were "Just forget about it". The feeling hasn't gone away. But I am hoping that It will just ware off and I can completely forget about it. I do think in my case, It started when I was ill last year, under a lot of pressure and very stressed.

I had to cancel my first ENT. I was so terrified, I couldn't go through with it. But in the end I needed to know what I was dealing with. And found out I had spent all year turning my hair grey through worry for no good reason!!

I recommend for your own piece of mind go to an ENT and let them have a look with camera. He gave me the option of anaesthetic but said it tasted REAL bad and the procedure only takes a minute literally! I would have the anaesthetic if I had to do it again. I haven't got a very good tolerance to that sort of thing!

For an icky throat, I also recommend Propolis Throat Lozenges with Manuka Honey.(From Holland & Barrett - Do not take if alergic to pollen). Manuka honey has been used in Hospitals to promote natural healing.

Good luck to all.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
(female)

nanhalen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredalotz View Post
Hi!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
(female)

nanhalen HB User

Hello
I know exactly how you feel because the same thing happened to me. Does it feel like a lump in your throat constantly? About eight months ago, I would just get that feeling and was very scared. I kept thinking I had throat cancer. Thankfully I don't. However, when the symptoms would appear out of nowhere, I would start panicking, which makes everything worse. I've been suffering from generalized anxiety disorder for over 25 years so I know when I'm having a panic attack. This is definitely not a panic attack. So it the feeling would come and go for the last six months and then two months ago the feeling came and has never gone away. I went to my pcp who referred me to an ENT. They did a few tests and have diagnosed me with LPR which is not the same as acid reflux. The lump in the throat feeling is constant 24 7 and hasn't gone away for two months. Some days I just want to break down because not only it is scary, it's annoying as heck. I'm on medication, which doesn't help. I've modified my diet, which doesn't help. I've given up caffeine, which doesn't help. From everything I've read about this disorder, it sometimes takes many months for the feeling to go away. Don't panic my friend, this is a true disorder and if you haven't gone to see an ENT, make an appointment and go. It will take some time for the feeling to go away but we can't give up. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
(male)

jblount28 HB User

most people with your sysptoms unfortanetly go to the doctor and they find nothing wrong on x rays or ct scans and usually get mis diagnosed with Acid reflux but I dont believe that is the problem here , look up cricopharyngeal spasms and see if that fits what is happening to you

Closed Thread