It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

lulu82 HB User
Question Tonsillectomy should I go through with it? Is it worth it did it improve your health?

Hi all

Iím 26 and Iíve been having tonsillitis every 3 months for the past 4 years and itís been ruining my life, my career, my social life and generally making me miserable.

For the past 2 years Iíve been fighting with my GP be referred to an ENT to talk about getting a tonsillectomy, however the Dr's at my surgery kept refusing to reffer me saying that the procedure is ineffective and not worth it. However I finally saw an ENT on Friday who within 5 mins told me I should have a tonsillectomy. And I'm scheduled for the start of October.

Iím overjoyed and terrified at the same time . I know that it is VERY painful and Iíve read all the horror stories on this board and that coupled with my GP saying it doesnít work makes me really scared. I want to know if Iím doing the right thing by having the op, Iím willing to go through the pain as long as the procedure will ultimately make an improvement to my life.

I guess what I really want to know is despite all the pain, in the end is it worth it? Is the procedure truly beneficial, has it stopped you getting as ill? I know you can still get colds etc but if it stops the tonsillitis then to me it would be worth it. Are there any long term side effects, like being more prone to infections? Or do you generally get sick less often? Do you get infections on the scars etc? Are you pleased that you done it? Also Iím in the UK, has anyone had this procedure done in the RAH?

I would be SO grateful if anyone who has been through this could give me some feedback, it would really mean a lot to me. Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy should I go through with it? Is it worth it did it improve your hea

Hi lulu,

I would definately go through with it.

I am currently on NHS waiting list to do the tonsillectomy. NHS told me to wait a maximum of 15 weeks for the surgery.

You were very lucky to get a date for surgery so fast. Is it NHS?
If it is. Consider yourself lucky. I would jump at the opportunity to do the surgery if they told me to come to the hospital tomorrow.

My social life, career, family life not to mention bank account have all suffered because of me getting tonsillitis. I have developed cryptic tonsils and with that Chronic Halitosis. I cant get a job or go to job interview because my tonsils stink 24/7. I am unemployed and just waiting for my surgery date.

Go for it. It will make your life better.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

lulu82 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy should I go through with it? Is it worth it did it improve your hea

Hi ya

Thanks so much for your comment Brian. Yes Iím getting it done on the NHS, he said to do it as soon as possible so I go in for it in a couple weeks time. Iím absolutely terrified with some of the posts on this site but I know that itís best that I have it done. Just hoping that my soar throat shifts in time so I can go through with it!

I really hope your situation improves soon and you get your appointment as soon as possible. Doesnít make sense to wait 15 weeks? Good luck when your time comes and Iíll let you know how I get on.

Take care

Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

lizf88 HB User
Smile Re: Tonsillectomy should I go through with it? Is it worth it did it improve your hea

Hi both of you.

I'm one of the horror stories!! But I would say that if tonsillitis is ruining your lives then get them out!! you definitely need 2 weeks off work and someone to look after you, it's true the pain is bad and unrelenting... if I could turn the clock back I would have left mine alone and lived with my symptoms, but what happened to me is quite literally unheard of in the UK (or unreported)
I would say that In the two years post surgery I've been generally much healthier i've probably had 2 sore throats that have gone quickly and i've had no bad colds, but I paid the ultimate price for this in that my Glossopharyngeal nerve was permanently damaged, which means nothing taste's the same anymore, my salivary glands overwork constantly, my voice is deeper and I have to clear my throat constantly. words can't explain what I've been through mentally,(and go through daily if I try to eat anywhere other than at home) but don't be put off by stories like mine, make up your own mind, ask questions about your surgeon, how many has he done? what are the complications? etc etc 15 weeks is not a bad time to wait just make sure you are absolutely healthy before the op as puss filled tonsills will complicate matters, and make you sicker afterwards.
good luck
Liz

Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Hi lizf88,

Thanks for your reply. I have not done the tonsillectomy yet but just to let you know I have lost some of my sense of taste. I think brushing and scarping my tongue too hard caused damage to the taste buds. Now I cant taste most of the foods that I eat. 15weeks is a long time for me to wait especially when I need to get a job. Cant get a job because of tonsils.

lizf88. How long did you wait to get it done on NHS? Sorry to hear about your situation with the post-operation effects.

lulu. When exactly is your operation date? I hope all goes well for you too. Please keep me posted about your situation. Look at the positive side of things. You dont have to wait 15 weeks maximum to get surgery. So the sooner you do it the quicker it will be done and over with and then you will be on your way to recovery. I on the other hand will still be waiting 3 months time for the surgery. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
(female)

lulu82 HB User

Hi guys

thanks for your comments. Brian I hope you get your date as soon as possible, your symptoms sound awful!

Liz that sounds terrible about loosing your sense of taste? Do they think it will be permenant? How long ago did you have the op?Do you get another chance to talk to the Surgeon before the op like in the morning? I had 5 seconds with mine and never asked him how many he had done. Apart from loosing your sense of taste, have you found that your overall health has been better than before the op? Can you tell me what the proceedure is like, did you get out on the same day? were you able to cook for yourself etc?

Also I just wanted to ask something. I got a throat infection again and I'm off work at the mo (my boss is thrilled not). I'm supposed to be going in on the 7the 7th to get the op, just over a week away, I'm just worried with what you said Liz, should I try to push it back a bit? I'm so upset about getting ill at this time felt like finnaly I was going to get rid of those buggers! Sounds stupid but been crying so much cause I just want it over with, but obviously I don't want to complicate it by having it done when I'm ill.

Thanks guys

Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
(female)

apple17.8 HB User

It was worth it to me!

My tonsillectomy was in May. I felt better in a way immediately after the surgery, like my body was relieved to get all that infection out. The doctor said that my tonsils were completely full of infection and that I would be much healthier after that. He was right! I am now healthier, have more energy and sleep better at night. I notice that my throat dries out more easily now but that is a happy exchange for the huge, deteriorating tonsils I had from years of strep.

I didn't blink at getting the tonsillectomy because the last time I had strep my tonsils swelled up so badly I almost had to go to the hospital, my airway was so obstructed. I knew the next time I had strep it would be likely I would have to have an emergency tonsillectomy, so I thought I might as well plan it for a convenient time.

I agree with allowing two weeks before going back to work and having someone look after you. You will need it!

If you search the past threads on tonsillectomies, they have a wealth of info on what to expect. Mine is around here somewhere if you search my username. Many of us documented day by day what we experienced.

The thing that I learned most was the meds you are given post-tonsillectomy make all the difference. I know your health care system is different over there and I don't know what you can ask for. I had one of the smoother recoveries and I believe that much of it had to do with the meds, which kept me comfortable enough to be able to eat and drink and give my body fuel to heal. I only had about 24 hours of bad pain and was given permission to increase the pain meds for that time.

Roxicet (liquid percoset) or percoset itself is more effective than vicodin. Vicodin is better than tylenol with codeine. Plain tylenol (paracetamol) is almost useless and you can't use ibuprofen because of bleeding. I had phenergan to deal with the nausea from the roxicet but I didn't need it as long as I stayed in bed and rested like I was supposed to. What made the most difference was the prednisolone which is a steroid to keep the swelling down. It made a huge difference in the amount of pain I experienced, so between that and the roxicet I was mostly just uncomfortable and had some numbing lollies to swab the back of my throat which I used when it was worse, like right after I woke up and before I had to swallow anything. Dehydration makes the pain worse, makes the pain meds less effective, slows down the healing process and makes you more likely to have a bleed, so make sure you drink drink drink.

The thing I was most surprised about was that wanting cold things lasted only the first couple days and the rest of the recovery it was lukewarm or warm that felt good, so don't overstock on cold stuff.

I hope it goes well!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

summer25uk HB User

Hi,

I am new to this forum, I had a tonsillectomy in the UK 6 weeks ago. Although I have improved (i was in a lot of pain and had a lot of swelling) I have still the following problems -

sore throat
white tongue - doc says not oral thrush
ulsors on tongue and top of mouth
feeling tired unwell
water coming up my nose - nasal regurgitation
my whole throat looks red and sore still

Has anyone else had these problems? They say you are supposed to recover after two weeks!

I went to see my ent speacialsit who has reffered me to an oral physisit but not given me any answers.

I'm scared i will never feel well again.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Hi Summer,

Sorry to hear about your problems since your tonsillectomy.

I think if you read other blogs you will see that some people take a long time to recover-part of it due to age. How old are you? The older you are the longer it will take for you to recover.

Perhaps what you need to do is see another doctor to help you with these problems. I dont think that you are to be alarmed about this because your throat will heal in time but definately see another doctor.

In the long run when you look back 2 years from now you will see that the tonsillectomy will make your life better. That is you will get sick less often.

BTW. Can you tell me how long you had to wait to get your letter from NHS hospital giving you your hospital wait? I am still waiting for my surgery date.
Seems like its going to be a long wait. They told me 15 weeks maximum.

I hope you seek help from another doctor for a second opinion. Take care.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I think @ the end of the day, you have to trust your Doctor. He/she knows what's best for your particular situation / diagnosis. It's good to get a 2nd opinion, no matter what procedure you're having.

Best of luck to you and I hope all works out for you.

Ex

Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
(male)

timboman14 HB User

i just had my secon surgery in week for these tonsills. I am a 31 year old male. Well i was getting strept as achild often. then when tonsil time came it stopped until 2 years ago I started getting tonsillitus every 30 days then every two weeks. All I know is the white patches. swollen, deformed tonsils, and missed work time made my mind up for me. My ent finally said tonsills had to go. I had them removed on 9/24 no pain worse than the tonsillitus until my 4th day when my sbabs began bleeding and my uvula's sweeling had gone down a little but the clot hanging from it continued to cause me to gag. The white scabs throughout my throat began to dry and bleed pretty bad. The doc kept saying gargle with ice water but blood continued oozing. Well after taking myself to the er on 9/29 at 2 because of the blood balls i was coughing up they took me back to surgery and to my suprise the pain has ceased a little and all that white stuff is gone revealing pink with a few blood spots. To sum it up stick to the percocets. Pray u dont get addicted becuase they are narcotics and try to eat soft food as much as possible. The liquid diet feels good but in the end i think it slows healing and mixed with meds causes tougher recovery. Fatigue started along with dehydration and pain with no soft food. So get the surgery and I think in the end it will benefit u. No tonsills no tonsillitus.. No leg no chance for broken leg. same thing. they say the same tissues that heal in the tonsills can get too infected. In my case they said if i did not get them out i would have had a rough life because of the scarring from my chronic tonsillitus. good luck and get it done

Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #12
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

timboman, How are you getting on with surgery. Are you completely better now? Do you think the operation improved your breath in anyway?

lulu, How are you? Have you done the surgery? Hope you are doing well.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
(female)

tulip2222 HB User

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed about 2 years ago at age 19. I usually didn't get sore throats as a child, but I had a run in with the epstien barr virus at age 18 which ended up in chronic tonsilitis. My doctor told me it was finally time to get them out.

The surgery itself was awful, I'm not going to lie! It hurt really bad afterward and I got a nasty yeast infection in my mouth that kept me in and out of the ENT DR's office every day. I wasn't ready to eat for about 10 days after the operation. I lived on gatorade and room-temperature chicken broth. I completely lost my voice for about 2 weeks. I couldn't even utter a word!

Two years later, it was the best decision I've ever made. It isn't fun getting your tonsils removed as an adult, but I've been healthy and sore throat free for 2 years now, which was unheard of for the couple years before my operation living with epstein barr virus.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Tulip,

Thanks for your feedback.

But did the surgery improve your breath?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
(female)

emecmb HB User

My surgery and recovery were fine. I'm a 32-year-old female. Days 3-5 weren't great, but seriously - not a big deal. You know what is awful? I've totally lost my sense of taste. My surgery was almost 7 weeks ago. I can breathe better and I sleep better, which should have made me a happier person, but I'm absolutely miserable. I haven't lost weight (maybe 4 pounds this whole time) because I keep trying everything - thinking the NEXT bite will be The One! I don't know whether I'm hungry or full, I can't stop thinking about food. It's absolutely awful. If you're overweight (and I'm not really, but at 5'1" and 117lbs now could still stand to lose about 10), please don't think that not tasting food sounds just fine to you. I promise you, it's absolutely awful. If you do not really need this surgery, I do not think you should have it. I can BREATHE better, but in a second I'd rather be able to TASTE again!

Closed Thread