It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

Passenger HB User
Pulled muscle in throat?

Back in June I started getting this weird feeling in my throat, like it would swell up. It bothers me so much at times where I cant even workout (which is the main thing that annoys me cause when Im not in the gym my diet is crap). So yeah, in the beginning of the month I went to a ENT doctor, he saw nothing wrong with my throat he asked if I had acid reflux in which I do and he gave me medicine. So the feeling in my throat would go away.

Fast forward to last monday I was at the gym working my chest out, and the feeling felt worse. So when I went to my chiropractor for my back, I just asked him out of curiosity is it possible to pull a muscle in your throat, he said yup, and he felt around and found where its pulled.

He said if I workout only do my legs for a couple of weeks. How long does a pulled muscle last in the throat? Its really annoying, and I feel like Im even losing my voice at times.

Do you guys think theres more to it then the muscle or no?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Pulled muscle in throat?

It still could be acid reflux because the acid will cause problems in the throat at the adams apple and below area and the vocal cords as well, especially if your losing your voice at times, don't think pulled muscle would do that. I work out as well but I'm no Dr!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

Passenger HB User

Yeah I had a feeling it was the reflux.

What do you suggest I should do? Is this feeling in my throat just going stay there forever or does it go away. Its extremely annoying.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Well when you do workout AVOID the machines that cause you to strain in the upper region, may be why Dr said do only the lower body. I can't do situps or anything that causes me to "grunt" so to speak, no abdominal muscle excersises, (those are the ones I really need to) it strains the valve flap which can cause acid to spill up in the throat sometimes! If you don't get a prescription from a Dr try over the counter Zantac, Pepcid AC, Tagamet etc or even Prilosec which is a PPI no longer by prescription, not any cheaper tho! Funny thing with acid reflux, it takes time and money to find out what works for you, sometimes years, so start now while it is fairly mild. I'm at the point now that all the drugs haven't worked real well over the last 4yrs to keep me controlled and surgery may be on the list as the next try. Another thing when you do upper body workouts especially shoulder you can strain the neck muscles, so trying only lower body workouts, taking some form of medication, (don't know what Dr gave you)will give you time to see if it helps the throat, for me it felt like my whole neck area up to the ears was full like someone was strangling me. I also sleep propped up on several pillows as well. I have weeks of good and bad. AVOID foods that make it feel worse, you should know by now what they are, if not work on it by paying attention and it's not like you can never have that food again, you just don't have it as often! I love peanut butter and I know when I eat it two days in a row I have weeks of trying to get it back under control! That feeling in the throat once you can get the reflux under control that is, well lets say it will come and go. I have GERD now, so get to work on yours before you end up with GERD if you don't already. Have you had an endoscopy done? Good luck and let us know!

Last edited by NancyH; 09-25-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
(male)

Passenger HB User

My doctor gave me Omeprazole (sp?). Got that perscriped to me like 2-3 weeks ago. I don't get the acidy feeling in my throat no more. Its just that feeling like Im getting punched in my adam's apple.

I've noticed that when I get the feeling badly, its after doing pushups and shoulder exercises (like you said). I also think protein shakes give me that feeling...not sure. But I know tea def. does, and beer (Rarely drink anymore though).

I don't know how I got the acid reflux though, I eat pretty healthy, lots of organic stuff. Also, Im 20, a lot of people tell me "Oh you are way to young to have acid reflux" Is that true?

Whats the difference between the acid reflux and GERD?

Errrr, this feeling frustrates the hell out of me!!! All I want to do is get back to the gym!!!! I'm already losing a lot of my gains. Haha....

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
(male)

Passenger HB User

Also, thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

My granddaughter is 12, she has had acid reflux since birth! I didn't get acid reflux until I was in my 50's, yea I'm like 60 but active as any 30yr old at the gym. GERD is what you get after years of acid reflux being untreated actually. I probably had AR for years and I was diagnosed with asthma for years until one day I had real live heartburn that didn't go away for a solid year! During that time my asthma was diagnosed as GERD instead. Couldn't figure out the asthma thingy anyway as I never needed inhalers even when running but the Dr said it so I believed it! Another thing, it sometimes takes a couple months to heal any irritation that has been brought on by acid reflux, me it was nearly a year to find something that worked at least for awhile. The effectiveness of the meds can change after a time so changing meds is like musical chairs, acid reflux doesn't discriminate between sexes, age, health or exercise nuts which I know I am, it just seems to happen to some, while others can eat anything and they don't get it. Like Russian Roulette! We learn to live with it and it's not like a broken leg ya can still go out there and run your butt off just a little uncomfortably! Do you know anything about the nerves in your body? We have a vagas nerve that runs down by the esophagus and when it gets irritated like by acid reflux it can effect any organ in the digestive area like vocal cords etc, you may be feeling that and it takes time to heal and if you feel like that after another month or so, go back to the Dr maybe you need endoscopy, a tube ran down your throat so they can see the entire esophagus and upper tummy, doesn't hurt they put you in LaLa land!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
(male)

Passenger HB User

Oh, I see. Yeah, it feels like I got punched in the throat haha.

This really screwed me up though, I was going to the gym to gain size and lose the bit of flab I have. So all the strength exercises Ive been doing I cant do anymore. I tried to yesterday and it felt like I was being choked out.

I have to wait to go to the doctor for that test though since I have no medical coverage. Are there any foods other I should steer away from besides the obvious?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Just stay away from what bothers you! Caffiene, chocolate, acidic foods, are bad, but maybe for you those may not bother you while in others it will send them into a full blown reflux. I can drink chocolate, occasional coffee, but only some fruits, so everyone is different. It's trial and error! Good luck, let us know.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
(male)

seedstyl HB User

The acid reflux topic is interesting because it seems to be a nice cover all answer from doctors however i don't think it is always so simple and you will notice is typically not the answer.
Here is my issue that maybe someone can help with.
I was in a terrible car accident but escaped with only a concussion, broken arm and fractured clavical. Or so I thought...about three months later I began having the feeling of a lump in my throat which has remained until today nearly three months after the onset. I've gone through the general drainage and acid reflux diagnoses but pills, sleeping elevated, and eating right seem to do nothing for this. Other interesting factors:
-I wake up in the morning feeling normal and totally fine, but it progressively gets worse throughout the day.
-sometimes by the end of the day I actually have sharp pain when swallowing, trouble hitting all notes during speach and the sensation of something popping or moving(during swallowing)
-I can also get a similiar sensation of a tendon or chord popping if I put my chin down to my chest and turn my head side to side.
-seems to be relieved if I tilt my head back and swallow or if I pitch the top of my throat before taking a drink.
-I have whip lash and have been seeing a chiro for a month now with no change.
-When I stand i don't notice the lump in the throat.
-The muscles on the same side of my neck are swollen and tender compared to the other side.

This is a ridiculous problem and It is depressing me even than I already am while sitting at work.

Closed Thread