It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

morgansmama HB User
Finally made ENT appt to stop my nasal spray dependency!!

I kept putting it off and putting it off for months. I would consider calling, then chicken out. I finally got to a point recently where I knew I had to do something. I saw my ENT in Feb and he removed my tonsils but I didn't think too much about discussing this problem with him then. Now after months and months of not being able to stop using the spray, I realized the problem is just going to get worse and it's going to do some serious damage. It was mostly a nighttime problem where I'd have to take the spray to be able to sleep but in the last few weeks I've noticed I have to take it at least once a day if not twice!

I am SO embarrassed to talk to my ENT about this. I'm really nervous to go to the appt and I am going to hate admitting that I've allowed myself to get dependent on this stuff. But I felt he would be more knowledgeable than my family dr. I'm sure he's dealt with patients with this condition! When the receptionist asked me what I needed to see him for, I just said I've been suffering from rebound nasal congestion for awhile and she seemed a little confused..."oh so you're having a problem with sinuses?" Sure, I guess you could say that!

I hope that whatever his plan of action will be it will be effective and this won't be too difficult to get off this spray!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Finally made ENT appt to stop my nasal spray dependency!!

Great! might attempt to wean/dilute your spray in the mean time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

lanispony HB User

I was totally dependent on nasal spray and had rebound congestion because of over use-started having panic attacks because I couldn't breathe through my nose. I bought a system to kick the nasal spray habit and it really worked. It worked on the principle of diluting the spray more and more each time you used it, finally becoming free of it. Don't know the name of the product but you can find it on the internet.

It is an awful addiction and I sympathize with you. It is not easy to get over but it can be done. Most docs replace a problem med with another med-this system gets you off of the oxymetazoline which makes your congestion worse in the logn run.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Morganmama..how's the recovery going?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmama View Post
I

I am SO embarrassed to talk to my ENT about this. I'm really nervous to go to the appt and I am going to hate admitting that I've allowed myself to get dependent on this stuff. But I felt he would be more knowledgeable than my family dr.
Please do not be embarrassed......This happens to many, many people. You became dependent upon it because it worked. And unless someone explicitly warns you upfront, how are you to know? Why is it even sold OTC?

I would go to the ENT, because as you say, he is more knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Plus, I'm not sure I'd want my GP to know....Just in case you need pain meds or something in the future....You don't want him to think you have a dependency issue (overall). Just a thought, or "thinking out loud" as they say. But, if you feel more comfortable with the GP, then use him by all means. But, don't feel embarrassed, regardless of who you see. This stuff shouldn't be OTC....No product should be if it becomes that big of an issue. Just my .02.

Take care, and good luck. It sounds as if Lanispony has some good advice.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I was addicted to nasal spray for many years. To wean myself off I started spraying only one side of my nose rather than both nostrils, on a particular day. The next day I would spray the opposite side.
I had an episode of tachycardia that I thought was related to the nasal spray and was kept in the hospital overnight (without my "drug") and I have to tell you, after those 10 hours where my nose felt miserable, it cleared rather quickly and the rebound wasn't the drawn out problem I imagined it would be.

Closed Thread