It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
(male)

Nevere HB User
Ear Crackling/Ringing/Weird Feeling

Hello All,

About 2 monthes ago i had a crackling when i swallow begin in my ear. This began with a really bad sore throat, which then turned into a bad cough that lasted about 3 weeks (was coughing up thick green stuff). About 1 week into my cough this crackling in my ears started, but i dont know if it is related to my previous symptoms or not.

8 weeks later, the crackling is still there. I went to a general dr last week, she checked my ears and gave me a hearing test, then sent me away saying my ears look fine, and my hearing is fine, and suggested an OTC nasal decongestant.

Tried that and it did nothing. Since i saw that Dr i now have a really bad ringing in my ears. It keeps me up all night. I never had any ringing before and then within minutes it went from zero to overwhelming.

I went back and saw another Dr. He diagnosed me with ETD (tube dysfuntion), and prescribed me a steroid nasal spray and decongestants (even though i dont feel congested).

So i've been taking the prescriptions as directed. Its now been 6 days and i still have no relief. Almost 9 weeks with the crackling when i swallow, and almost a week with this overhwleming ringing. I also seem to have this weird sensation that feels like its deep inside my ear, im not sure if i would call it "pressure", but its defeintly some type of presence. Occasionally i will get a dull pain behind or below my ears, but it doesnt last long before going away.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experianced anything like this and how they dealt with it? Its seriously driving me insane and Drs have been useless.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Nevere; 10-02-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
(male)

lljustintimell HB User
Re: Ear Crackling / Ringing / Weird Feeling

About a month ago i was in a resturant and was having trouble hearing my friend when music was playing. I found that the louder conversations in the room got the more static and hissing i heard in my left ear only. it has been 6 weeks now and i went to see a general dr to ask for a solution he sent me off with a allergy pill and a script for doxy hy and im no better. Has anyone found the cure? Also in a loud room the ear gets more and more volume to its static to the point that i simply leave.

Thanks

Last edited by lljustintimell; 10-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

kiesen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevere View Post
Hello All,

About 2 monthes ago i had a crackling when i swallow begin in my ear. This began with a really bad sore throat, which then turned into a bad cough that lasted about 3 weeks (was coughing up thick green stuff). About 1 week into my cough this crackling in my ears started, but i dont know if it is related to my previous symptoms or not.

8 weeks later, the crackling is still there. I went to a general dr last week, she checked my ears and gave me a hearing test, then sent me away saying my ears look fine, and my hearing is fine, and suggested an OTC nasal decongestant.

Tried that and it did nothing. Since i saw that Dr i now have a really bad ringing in my ears. It keeps me up all night. I never had any ringing before and then within minutes it went from zero to overwhelming.

I went back and saw another Dr. He diagnosed me with ETD (tube dysfuntion), and prescribed me a steroid nasal spray and decongestants (even though i dont feel congested).

So i've been taking the prescriptions as directed. Its now been 6 days and i still have no relief. Almost 9 weeks with the crackling when i swallow, and almost a week with this overhwleming ringing. I also seem to have this weird sensation that feels like its deep inside my ear, im not sure if i would call it "pressure", but its defeintly some type of presence. Occasionally i will get a dull pain behind or below my ears, but it doesnt last long before going away.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experianced anything like this and how they dealt with it? Its seriously driving me insane and Drs have been useless.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

I hope this message finds you with improvement in your condition, as it would bring me much hope from my similar condition. After reading your post, I felt as though I wrote it...I am myself now going on week 9 with crackling problems in both of my ears that is also accompanied by fluctuating pain/pressure. I have been to a total of 3 ENTs and 3 Family doctors with no relief. I started out with a throbbing ear ache and feelings of fluid in my ears and immediately went to my family doctor who said to just take OTC meds and that I'd be fine...that he could not see any fluid. I tried that for a little over a week with no relief and decided to go to another doctor as the fluid feeling seemed to feel worse and I had developed crackling in both ears when swallowing...he said that he saw a good amount of fluid in both ears and had me take antibiotics which seemed to help my nasal congestion, but my ears continued to crack and pop and felt full of pressure on one side or the other, it fluctuated. A few more doctor visits resulted in me taking/trying various OTC nasal sprays and decongestants, all of which did not help and some made the crackling sound louder, or it seemed. I then decided to go to an ENT, who gave me hearing tests and told me that they could not "see" any fluid in my ears and told me to go home and wait it out. It was driving me insane along with the constant pain, crackling, and new to the mix, ringing that was starting to occur in both ears for various lengths of times along with the sound of my pulse in my ears...the ringing and pulsating has not been as prevalent as the crackling and pressure/pain issues. My last ENT visit resulted in an Rx for OTC antihistamines along with steroid nasal spray...I am now on day 6, as you were of this regimen, which is not offering any relief. The ENT told me that if these don't work, there isn't much else they can do and that I should consider undergoing allergy testing, which I will be at the end of this month. I just wonder, what happened with your ears and did it eventually resolve itself? I'm starting to think that there is nothing really that can be done, and taking all these meds causes other side effects and issues which I'm getting drained from dealing with. The only thing I have to show for all the doctor visits, so far, is a big stack of bills (and frustration, of course). If you have time to reply, I would really appreciate knowing the outcome of your issues, as it sounds so similar to mine.

Thank you and I hope that you are all better now.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

KellyNMav HB User

I have had a few of these symptoms over the last couple of months. I awoke one morning to pressure and "static TV" noise in my right ear. I went to the Dr. and my ears had no fluid or infection and he gave me nose spray too! Symptoms never improved and I went 2 weeks later to an ENT. I had a hearing test and it indicated a hearing loss in the low tone range. He ordered an MRI and told me I could have Meneirs Disease. He told me to take Claritin every day, watch the salt, alcohol and caffein. 10 days later my ears cleared and the hearing came back. A hearing test confirmed that my hearing returned to normal. I still got the MRI and it was normal.
Last week I started hearing a "hum" and decided to talk to a chiropractor. He adjusted me and MY EARS! It really cleared my ears. I am going to try Acupuncture on Thursday to see if it helps. I don't know if I have Meneirs as I am not dizzy or unbalanced. Just funny ears!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
(female)

BeeBee1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevere View Post
Hello All,

Thank you in advance!
OMG..I have been telling my doctor the exact same thing and she thinks I'm crazy because "there is nothing wrong with my ears." I am a smoker and in Ohio they just started distributing Fire Safety Cigarettes about two months ago. They made me very ill and I developed a severe sore throat followed by about three weeks of coughing my head off. I also developed the crackling sound in my ears when I swallowed. I still have it. It sounds like rubber bands sound when they are stretched really tight and plucked. Anyway, my doctor says there is absolutely nothing wrong with my ears and is starting to get annoyed with me. I thought I was going crazy until I saw your posting. Thank you for sharing. I hope I have been helpful. Are you a smoker as well? If so, you might want to check if they are FSC cigs.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
(female)

KellyNMav HB User

I went through that for several months, saw several different doctors before one suggested a virus was the culprit!
He said the Herpes Virus that also causes Shingles was most likely affecting me and I was prescribed Valtrex. Within a week of taking Valtrex, my hearing returned and the roaring, ringing, TV static noise left! I can hear better that ever now!
Talk to your Doctor about taking Valtex.
It worked for me.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
(female)

lucylover HB User

Hi, I have been having the exact same problem that everyone here has. Because I have a sensorial hearing loss, my ENT dr. told me I may have hydrops or meniers. I was put on a low sodium diet and diuretics. The diuretics made me ill and I had to stop them, I even had the Ecoc test to test for meniers. It came out ok. But, I have been having this constant ear pressure/fullness, ear blockage at various times, and constant popping and crackling. I am currently seeing a neutologist (sp?) I hope he can help. I am very curious about the herpes virus and wonder if this could be my problem too? I have been dealing with these ear problems since the middle of November with no relief in site. I
can sympathize with each and every one of you.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
(female)

KellyNMav HB User

Your ears may be "ringing" due to inflammation caused by a virus. I actually lost my hearing due to a virus that doctors wouldn't diagnose,but like you, the doctor told me to do decongestants and nose spray. I actually went on anti viral medicine and got my hearing back. That was over a year ago. Now when I get ringing or a "hum" sound, I take L-Lysine which is a supplement you can get at the health food store or in the vitamin section at your local grocer. Within a day or 2 for me, the hum goes away and my ears are fine. Also, the one thing that I did do is change my diet of foods that cause inflammation. Those are mainly "fake" foods like artificial sweeteners, and "low fat" labeled food.
Good luck!
Kelly

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
(female)

chantry HB User

Hi Nevere. It seems to have been a few years since you posted but I was wondering if you got sorted as I have exactly the same symptoms - crackling when I swallow, strange pressure like sensation, occasional but not remarkable pain, I have an overwhelnming tinnitus sound too though mine is more of a high pitched tone than a ringing. I had my hearing checked by an ENT and because it was fine they have said there is nothing wrong!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Welcome to the club everyone! Mine started the first week of August. I have been through the ear drops, nasal spray, antibiotics, allergy meds, anti fungal medication, prednisone, audiology exams, and finally had a tube put in my left ear. The only thing that has improved is the ability to equalize pressure, because of the tube. The MRI showed Mastoiditis. I also have ETD. I am being tested for autoimmune diseases, and waiting for a culture to come back. The ENT said mastoid surgery might be in the future. We should continue to share info. Good luck to all of you!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
(male)

Ay8132 HB User

I too here a crackling sound when I swallow, especially when drinking a liquid. It is not necessarily noticed in my ear but the side of my head above the ear..I dont know if it is the same thing. It is similar to the sound of poprocks. It was so bad at one point it would sound off even when I spoke. This has been going on for months now but has progressively gotten better seemingly the less I worry about it. But it has not completely gone away and when I try to hear the crackling I can but it doesn't seem as loud as it once did. Does anyone know how to completely get rid of the noise? I read an earlier post that somebody said drinking alot of water and steamrooms help. Anybody with any insight your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Have you been to an ENT? A regular doctor is limited on what they can do for you. I have been going through this for 8 months. I have had 3 oral antibiotics, an antiviral, steroid nasal spray, antibiotic ear drops 3 times, two audiology exams, a tube put in (so far the most helpful thing), cultures of the drainage, and an MRI. The MRI showed mastoiditis. It is pretty hard to clear up, so finally I will be having mastoid surgery next month. The tube made it so ear drops could get behind the ear drum. That would probably help in many cases. It was done in the ENTs office while I was awake. Just a few seconds of pain, and then it is over. They can also examine the inner ear through the tube with a microscope. I also had a nasal endoscopy in the office. Good luck, and hope you get answers.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
(male)

Ay8132 HB User

I havent been to a doctor or ENT to check it out because I thought it would go away by itself, from what I have read it doesnt seem to be the case. But it has gotten progressively better. From what I have read it looks like surgery might be the only option for me as well to completely get rid of it. Do you have any idea what causes it? I was taking alot of different sleep medications during a point last year and thats when I first realized the crackling. I am not taking any meds now and my sleep has gotten better. And also the crackling can be the loudest when i make a breath for example checking yourself for bad breath. Is it the same for you?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
(female)

An ENT can determine whether you have eustation tube disfunction, an inner ear infection or mastoiditis. They can do nasal endoscopy in the office and send you for an MRI if necessary. They usually start out with allergy medication and steroid nasal spray. After that, oral antibiotics. They will probably send you for an audiology exam, which also gives them a better idea of where the problem may be. After all that, they sent me for an MRI which showed very obvious mastoiditis. There are several topics on this board. ETD seems to be the most common problem, and many people give good advice. After 9 months, I am finally having surgery. They are going to drill out the mastoid bone. All other options have been tried and haven't worked. The tube they put in my ear did help somewhat. Good luck and I hope you find answers.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

dltt48 HB User

I've too had all these symptoms. My underlying problem turned out to be dryness, so all the antihistamines were doing more damage than good. My ETD and sinus issues were a complication of that dryness, which recently was diagoses as Sjogren's (where your body attacks its own moisture glands). Took me 5 yrs to figure it out. My crackling noises are not from too much mucus as i was told, but from not enough causing a dry stickyness. Also, your main salivary gland in under your ear-mine swells occassionally and will hurt under and behind my ear. Just found out for myself thats what is there.. Hopefully none of you have this, but if a decongestant isn't working, u may have the opposite problem of dryness going on-which can be caused by many other things. Just a thought for all of you suffering with ETD. Luckily i was a candidate for the new Eustachian tube dilation surgery and it worked for me. I hope you all find an answer too. ETD is very complicated and frustrating!

Closed Thread