It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

Mjjmike HB User
Pain in Jaw, ear, mouth??

Hi everyone,

I recently in the past week to 10 days or so ago, developed some serious pain in my ear, jaw, mouth (tongue to be more precise) It's not a sore throat or anything similar to a sore throat. I have not had any accident or anything either. I'm not sick, no runny nose, no lumps or swollen lymph nodes ect. To give you an idea on the pain level of this...I have a neck injury that I take Oxycontin 60mg and I can take two of them at one time. Got to hurting so bad one time, I chewed the pill up, and it doesn't relieve this new found pain.

I can't see anything, no spots or sores or anything like that on my tongue or gums or lips ect...But my jaw feels like it has been broken, I have never had a broke jaw before but that's what I think of when I feel it. It occurs when I open my mouth, when I bite down on it, or try to move it from side to side, I can even take my left hand, push on the lower left side of my jaw towards to right and it hurts so bad it nearly brings me to my knees. If I chew anything it hurts like crazy, especially if I chew on the left side, (the opposite of the pain side) But when it hurts, it radiates up through my ear BADLY! Also I have had increased problems swallowing. I have gotten choked up three times or so trying to simply to swallow normal food.

Also my voice is started cracking or something, I didn't notice it that much, but I have been at work today for about 4-5 hours and practically everyone I've talk to said something like "What's wrong with your voice, sounds like you are losing it?"

I don't know what's going on, but I am getting as little worried to be honest. I just turned 32, white male, smoker (I have been trying to quit)

If anyone can offer any light to this as to what it may be or sound like, please, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Michael Jones

Last edited by Mjjmike; 10-20-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: mispelled words

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

kafish67 HB User
Re: Pain in Jaw, ear, mouth??

Hi Michael,
I know it's been a couple of weeks since you posted, so I hope you have found relief. When I read your post, my first thought was nerve pain. I know that narcotics dont help at all with nerve pain and oxycontin is very strong. Might it have anything to do with your neck injury? did you have a surgery? I've read a little about neuralgia of the head and neck since i have had a neck surgery and suffer from odd pains. My other thought was tmj, which could also cause referred pain. Lastly, I would see and ent just to be sure. He could put a scope through your nose to look at your throat and base of tongue area. Hope you feel better.

Closed Thread